Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life just decided to pour a little salt in the wound. After the loss of sf.com I was rear ended while stopped at a stoplight. The 240sx damaged the rear bumper and now I need to have it replaced. What other damage should I look for? For example exhaust, frame, electrical etc.

BTW I have a 2005 FXT AW

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. My $.02, get 2 estimates for the damage, one from a trusted dealer, the other from a highly recommended body shop. Their estimates should inlcude all of the damage and corresponding parts for a proper repair.

Best of luck.

Michael

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
379 Posts
Sorry to hear it. It's awful to have your new car hit.

I would say the damage that you should look for depends on the force with which the other car hit you.

For example, I was rear-ended in November while stopped at a stop sign - the guy behind me reached down to pick up a fallen CD and his foot slipped off the brake, and his Mustang lurched forward and smacked me. All it did was scratch the paint off my bumper with his license plate bolts. Still, it was $500 to repaint the bumper.

Both the insurance adjuster and the dealer's body shop told me they couldn't really estimate the damage until they took the bumper cover off and could inspect what was underneath.

S

·
0 Posts
re

pull the spare to see if any wrinkling on either side and underneath where the bumper mount there. The bumper structure itself is likely fine. The skin and the shelf that holds the skin firm at the top and the brackets on the sides may be bent or crushed. If the rear bumper pivoted down it can bend the muffler down too. Most of it is easily fixed so no sweat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone for your advice. The first "eyeball" estimate I recieved was for about $1200 to $2000 pending an inspection after the removal of the bumper. They indicated that the damage could be repaired fairly easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts