Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
lots and
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 2.5dohc with a spun bearing and need some help. I have the old engine out and started looking for a used motor when I ran into an issue. All of the salvage yards I have contacted have told me the I can only use an engine out of a 99 but no one can tell me why. So, is that even true? I would like to get a jdm to save a little money, can anyone point me in a good direction? I have tried searching and looking around I just can't figure out why the 99 is different. Thanks, Ethan

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Any EJ25 DOHC will work or can be adapted to work as well as the original.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/07-engine-01-a-38498/ (post #8)

It just guarantees direct compatibility for the salvage yard to specify the same year no liability.

There are a ton of threads on engine replacements through the years on this forum some minor searching will bring you a ton of info.

In short you may have to swap intakes, cam pulleys, crank pulley but any none turbo DOHC will work.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Actually the 98 is a DOHC as opposed to the 99 and later models being SOHC with the exceptions for the turbo's which are DOHC.

Can't answer your question other than what they may mean, is that only a 98 DOHC motor would work with your ECU/ECM(?) unit and wiring harness. If you used a later model SOHC you would need that ECU/ECM module specific to that engine and most likely the wiring harness as well. Later models should work in your 98 with the necessary mods.

Somebody who has done swaps can correct me if I'm way off base.

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Good dog, some Foresters and Legacies still got the DOHC in 99. Some even had phase II bottom ends with the DOHC heads.

The ECU doesn't care what motor it's controlling. It only takes inputs from sensors and spits outputs to other devices. The trick is to make sure the ECU is getting the signals it needs by having the correct sensors on the motor, the correct plugs on those sensors to fit the harness and the same general type of operating system.

I've found that the cam/crank triggers (not sensors), IACV, coil,TPS and EGR are the real sticky points. Seems like alot, but each has it's own workaround.

My 1st subaru, for example, has seen a 96 EJ18 turn into a 96 EJ25D, to a 98 EJ25D, to a 98 EJ22 and finally a '00 EJ22. It's been run on ECU's from a 96 EJ18, 97 EJ22, 98 EJ25D, 98EJ22 and finally full standalone. Wiring mods have been minimal, and OBDII compliance has been kept until the standalone went in.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
Good dog, some Foresters and Legacies still got the DOHC in 99. Some even had phase II bottom ends with the DOHC heads.

The ECU doesn't care what motor it's controlling. It only takes inputs from sensors and spits outputs to other devices. The trick is to make sure the ECU is getting the signals it needs by having the correct sensors on the motor, the correct plugs on those sensors to fit the harness and the same general type of operating system.

I've found that the cam/crank triggers (not sensors), IACV, coil,TPS and EGR are the real sticky points. Seems like alot, but each has it's own workaround.

My 1st subaru, for example, has seen a 96 EJ18 turn into a 96 EJ25D, to a 98 EJ25D, to a 98 EJ22 and finally a '00 EJ22. It's been run on ECU's from a 96 EJ18, 97 EJ22, 98 EJ25D, 98EJ22 and finally full standalone. Wiring mods have been minimal, and OBDII compliance has been kept until the standalone went in.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts