Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the North Shore of MA but I road trip all over New England to enjoy the outdoors. I just traded in my lifted 07 Nissan Xterra for a 2020 Forester Sport. It took a lot of researching and soul searching to decide to move on from my Xterra and go with a smaller vehicle. I just don’t offroad or tow as much as I used to, but I still do a lot of road trips in bad weather (snowboarding), car camping, driving on sand/beaches, and trail driving to get out to fishing/hiking/camping sites.
This car is my everyday driver so I want to keep it as stock as possible but the tires it came with just aren’t going to cut it for me. Without adding a lift, I have been looking into different A/T tires. Some that are exact specs as the tires it came with (225/55 R18) and a few that are slightly larger. I have looked into many of your posts on here about the affects different tires have on mpg’s, highway noise, etc. but my main concern is the affect it will have on the two billion new sensors this car has compared to my old truck. Will it affect the eyesight, all wheel drive / x mode capabilities, and other features that drew me into the Forester if I go up in tire size? My last vehicle had electric windows and a CD player and that’s about it. I’m going to be honest with you all, these tires are as much for aesthetics as they are going to be for functionality. I just love the look of an aggressive A/T tire. What size and type of tire to you all recommend?
I am also looking for a good roof rack that isn’t going to blow the bank. I have an Old Town Predator PDL kayak that I will be putting on the roof and I have a roof basket that I may use for some bigger trips. This is a very large kayak weighing in over 100lbs so I need something pretty sturdy. On my old vehicle I just used some pipe insulation on the stock crossbars and strapped it right to them and it worked well. Do any of you have the Subaru cross bars or should I look into other companies?
Finally, is there anything else you guys would recommend I add?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
325 Posts
I have Yakima Timberline towers and Yakima 60” JetStream bars. Highly recommended.
Take a look around the forums. (The search function is mostly useless). There are lots of thread on upgrades, tires/lifts, and racks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
Don't be sure the stock tires won't cut it bc unless you are going where no car has gone before you will be fine.

This Forester with stock tires will go where your 07 Xterra (with better tires) can not believe me. I owned a 4WD Toyota truck with offroad tires. And my '18XT and '19 XV will go where it couldn't.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T
I have Yakima Timberline towers and Yakima 60” JetStream bars. Highly recommended.
Take a look around the forums. (The search function is mostly useless). There are lots of thread on upgrades, tires/lifts, and racks.
Thanks for the advise. The Yakima towers and bars are a little pricey when I could just get the Subaru crossbars for 1/4 the price. I am now strongly considering the Yakima LockNLoaded system and Topwater rod storage system after your recommendation lead me down a rabbit hole on their site.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Bchurch welcome to the forum from Oregon!

It's best to ask your technical questions in the appropriate forum sub-forum:
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
Thanks for the response. Would you recommend I look into threads about tires or electronic specific?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't be sure the stock tires won't cut it bc unless you are going where no car has gone before you will be fine.

This Forester with stock tires will go where your 07 Xterra (with better tires) can not believe me. I owned a 4WD Toyota truck with offroad tires. And my '18XT and '19 XV will go where it couldn't.
I don’t doubt the capability of the stock tires on your average trail and day to day driving. The A/T tire upgrade would be more for the extreme weather driving that my job requires and for the deep sand and mud I sometimes find myself in. They also just look so much better and I cant lie that a huge part of it as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts