Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought my 2004 XT from a subaru dealer, it has only 37k miles, one owner previous to me!

I just had a question as to what I should possible due maintenance wise or things to check on?

It has had all regular maintenance up to its current miles according to the carfax and the dealer (Subaru) where service was performed. In addition to that they gave me a list of things they did to it before putting it up for sale these were:

Brake fluid flushed/changed
Front wiper blades replaced
front and rear diff fluids changed
Tires rotated and balanced
air filter and cabin air filter replaced
transmission serviced

I was checking all the fluids myself and noticed that the coolant reservoir is empty, checking the radiator cap level though, the coolant is full. This was some what concerning knowing about the head gasket issue that the reservoir was empty. I want to ask my dealer today how this was missed in their inspection and also find out if I can top it off or if they will. I was reading you don't want to mix coolant types and I have no clue what they used. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Really liking this car so far, I came from another all wheel drive car (Audi S4).

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
319 Posts
At 37k miles, there's not a whole lot you should have to worry about. I'd suggest reading up on removing the banjo bolt screens in the oil lines and decide if you'd like to do that... It's not always an issue, but some who've ended up with seized turbos attribute it to oil starvation because those screens can get clogged.

Secondly, assuming it still has the stock, catted uppipe, at 37k miles you shouldn't have to worry about it, but the cat can deteriorate over time, break apart and fly into your turbo and destroy it... you can replace the uppipe with a non-catted uppipe from an STi or buy an aftermarket on (new in the range of $150-$170).

I don't have the link handy, but you should be able to google or search this forum for the maintenance schedule for your model, it'll give you a very clear list of all the normal items that should be taken care of, and at what mileage.

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Might want to replace belts. Although you are well below the mileage recommendation, I believe you are past the month recommendation.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congratulations on the Forester purchase. :cool:

Genuine Subaru or approved coolant + Subaru coolant conditioner. We also have Red Line WaterWetter added to the coolant.

You might also consider going with Red Line full synthetic ATF & gear oil. We have that in both our Foresters. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Any worries about adding coolant to what is already there since I don't know what is there? Or I just assume they put Subaru coolant in since they are a dealer?

What about Any thing to check for to see why the reservoir is empty or can that be pretty normal if it wasn't added to since the last flush (2011)?

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,222 Posts
What does your Owner's Manual say about the coolant type and coolant level in the overflow tank?

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. So I should not be worried at all that the reservoir was empty? Just keep an eye on it after I top it off?

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
782 Posts
Thanks. So I should not be worried at all that the reservoir was empty? Just keep an eye on it after I top it off?
It probably only looks empty, the line is almost at the limit of your vision. Clean off the reservoir and look for the line.

If you overfill it it will spill.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
^^Yep, very hard to tell due to the shape of the reservoir where the water level is. I sometimes have to tap on mine and go by sound, or shine a flashlight through it to be able to tell reliably. If it's really low, top it off and keep an eye on the level. Some evaporation over time is normal since it's not a sealed system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts