Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '05 XS with 130,000 on it for my fiance'. I got a great deal on it! It's already had the timing belt done on it, but I'm looking for any advice on other maintenance items that I should be looking at. Any ideas? I've been "eyeing" Subies for years and this is my first. I'm a VW enthusiast at heart and know a lot about cars in general, but want to know the "ins and outs" of Subarus. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
cars101.com is a good site to refer to for the maintenance schedule if you haven't already looked at the maintenance booklet that should have been included with the car.

but otherwise, as long as you have done all the major maintenance items, there really isn't much to change. if you don't have all the maintenance records, i'd elect to do a minor service including:

-check for leaks
-oil change (check oil cooler for leaks)
-spark plugs (and check the seals while you're there)
-pcv valve (take it out, check it to see if it rattles, if it does, clean the hose to it, and replace)
-coolant (check the t-stat housing and water pump for leaks)
-transmission fluid drain+refill (cheap insurance)
-differential(s) fluid drain+refill (cheap insurance)
-air filter (check to see if it's blackened)
-in cabin air filter (behind the glove box, might find dead spiders and leaves here)
-tire pressures
-power steering fluid (should be cherry, not brown. you can do a simple refresh by siphoning out from the reservoir, replace with new fluid, turn wheels, repeat a few times until fluid turns cherry and clear)

if you got most of this done already, then i'd say you're good to go.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I guess I can't post pics until I have 15 posts so they'll have to wait.

OK, I changed the oil yesterday and now it's running Mobil 1. The previous owner just put new tires on it 2 weeks ago. The timing belt is done, but it doesn't look like any of the other associated parts (tensioner, etc.) were replaced. Is this an issue? The transmission has been serviced as well. He mentioned he replaced the cabin filter recently too. It has a K&N air filter and he said he changed the oil religiously with synthetic oil. This is what I know about the vehicle.

What else should I do to it? I'm thinking fuel filter, front and rear diff fluid, flush and fill coolant, and check brakes. Am I missing anything else. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Well I guess I can't post pics until I have 15 posts so they'll have to wait.

OK, I changed the oil yesterday and now it's running Mobil 1. The previous owner just put new tires on it 2 weeks ago. The timing belt is done, but it doesn't look like any of the other associated parts (tensioner, etc.) were replaced. Is this an issue? The transmission has been serviced as well. He mentioned he replaced the cabin filter recently too. It has a K&N air filter and he said he changed the oil religiously with synthetic oil. This is what I know about the vehicle.

What else should I do to it? I'm thinking fuel filter, front and rear diff fluid, flush and fill coolant, and check brakes. Am I missing anything else. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!
Tensioner.. check the tension and make a decision from there. It's cheap insurance just to change it anyway. Our tensioners are not very good it seems. You can usually tell when they're gone by a tapping noise.

Fuel filter is a good idea. Subaru has been telling us to not bother since it's in tank but after seeing some with 60k miles on them, I'd change them. It really depends on the type of fuel used.

All of the other stuff I could remember I listed but other than that I think you should be okay.

Did you get an independent inspection before or after purchase?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts