Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester S-Edition
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Australia. I just bought myself a 2012 Forester S-Edition.
For those not in a country to get the S-Edition. It is an 'upgraded' XT model. It has a rated output of 193KW compared with the XT's output of 169KW
Main differences are:
bigger VF52 turbo and re-tuned ECU to suit
5-EAT transmission with paddle shifters
VA2 rear differential with viscous limited slip differential
'STI' wheels 17x7 5x100 ET48 (Made by Enkei)
S-Edition blue seats
S-Edition gauge cluster

It has been used with 210,000km on the clock. But the service history is great. With things like the differential fluids being changed at 50,000km and a couple of times after that too.
My plan is to turn this into a great back country and camping vehicle. I have already ordered a front engine skid plate and rear diff skid plate. I have also had talks to get the suspenion fixed up to be better suited to dirt roads
I have also been quoted for a front AP Racing brake kit to fit under 16" wheels. I will then use rear Brembos off a GR (2008+) STI that can fit under 16" wheels too.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i CVT
273 Posts
Hi from Australia. I just bought myself a 2012 Forester S-Edition...
Gidday and Welcome! great sounding Foz!

Please consider posting a few photos. Cheers, Eddie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm in the market for an s edition and wondering if you have had any issues with yours so far?. There's not many available at the moment so looking at flying interstate to purchase and enjoy the road trip home.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Forester S-Edition
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I'm in the market for an s edition and wondering if you have had any issues with yours so far?. There's not many available at the moment so looking at flying interstate to purchase and enjoy the road trip home.
Hi Isiah. I have not had any real issues.
Only typical Subaru stuff.
Wheel studs that seize and break when trying to undo wheel nuts.
Smell of burning oil from minor leak. It's a Subaru thing because the exhaust wraps around the engine. So the oil often drips onto a part of the exhaust and burns.

The S-Edition is not any more special than a normal Forester. It will have all of the same problems (or reliability) as a normal turbo Forester. The automatic transmission is a 5EAT as used in some Outback and Legacy models.

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
Welcome @KGWizardLuke Missed this thread 2 months ago! Welcome!

My daughter-in-law has a 2012 S; well it's supposed to be her car but the purchasing in 2017 and recent upgrading was all my son's idea! It developed head gasket issues last year and not very long after being fixed it got what I think was big end issues. They replaced the engine with an AllDriveSubaroo upgraded motor (semi-closed deck, forged pistons etc)
A shame the later "S" models did not have the turboed motors.

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
@broadbean Indeed. Very costly as it had just had a major service with timing belt etc and after the coolant was added bubbles were appearing in the radiator; a shame they didn't have a look before the major service commenced!

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
808 Posts
@Kevin

Actually, did the S-Edition still use the EJ? I thought the FB came in with timing chains for MY11? I didn’t even think head gaskets would be an issue from that year on...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi from Australia. I just bought myself a 2012 Forester S-Edition.
For those not in a country to get the S-Edition. It is an 'upgraded' XT model. It has a rated output of 193KW compared with the XT's output of 169KW
Main differences are:
bigger VF52 turbo and re-tuned ECU to suit
5-EAT transmission with paddle shifters
VA2 rear differential with viscous limited slip differential
'STI' wheels 17x7 5x100 ET48 (Made by Enkei)
S-Edition blue seats
S-Edition gauge cluster

It has been used with 210,000km on the clock. But the service history is great. With things like the differential fluids being changed at 50,000km and a couple of times after that too.
My plan is to turn this into a great back country and camping vehicle. I have already ordered a front engine skid plate and rear diff skid plate. I have also had talks to get the suspenion fixed up to be better suited to dirt roads
I have also been quoted for a front AP Racing brake kit to fit under 16" wheels. I will then use rear Brembos off a GR (2008+) STI that can fit under 16" wheels too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulation Luke.
Hope you’ll happy with this Forester as I am.
It’s Limited Edition with WRX motor set up in, only 800 or 900 in Australia! They newer made another one like this. We had it off road a lot, have 170.000 km on the clock and all I had to do is replacing 2 bulbs for the brakes, (replaced radiator on the mechanic recommendation as they don’t last for ever and is less expensive than the motor). It’s big difference to XT. Had it only for 2 years. The short delay due to turbo in accelerating was very annoying. The S-Edition is great to drive. Lost hope to get another one lake this. Very disappointing.
In 12 years had only smell of burning oil (it send me to panic last year) when mechanic spilt oil on engine and left it on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts