Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester non-turbo
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oi! Not feeling the Subaru love, unfortunately. I have a 2012 non-turbo Forester Premium. Bought it certified used in 2017 with 45k - now at 78k (it was originally bought, serviced, and traded in at the same dealership). Love how it drives. Like many of you (('14-'18) - 2018 - AC out for 6th time!!) I've had constant A/C issues. I've taken the dash apart twice. Replaced ALL A/C components (evap, compressor, condenser, etc). It's going out again - only a few months after the latest work.

Last night, while diagnosing the new A/C problems, I saw blue coolant sprayed all over the engine. Looks like the radiator is done - top-edge weld looks dead. The coolant (which had been in great condition) now looks brown and cloudy, and my shop-owning brother-in-law said it looks like a blown head gasket (he was with me at the time). I was already planning on getting rid of the car, and now I "get" to sink a bunch of money in to it.

Not sure what to say (sorry, I know I'm complaining). This car has been an absolute money pit. In the last year, I've also done lower control arms (which are "designed" to go out around 70k according to the dealer... my bushings were shot), sway bar links, rotors and pads all around, battery, spark plugs, and more I'm probably forgetting. Also has the dreaded door speaker rattle. And an AWD torque bind issue that seems to have been fixed by multiple AT fluid changes and diff fluid changes (and a computer update by the dealer). Each one of these issues by itself isn't a huge deal, but I just don't have the time, money, or patience for the constant issues.

Anyhow, I can't get rid of it fast enough, and plan on buying Toyota from here on out. I'm just going to fix the bare minimum (which is a LOT), and trade it in ASAP. It's a real bummer, as I want to love Subarus so much. I love them in theory. They're fun to drive. I guess this is mostly just intended to be a data point for ya'll, or anyone considering a Subaru.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
170 Posts
Sorry you are having so much issues.
I own a 2010 Premium, bought it new.
And except for normal wear and tear, it was absolutely a delight driving it.
The old age (10y) and mileage (159k) reign up it's ugly head last year when I had it change AC, wires, sparkplugs and coils as well as blow the radiator on the highway no less. Was stranded on GSP for 3 hours before could get a tow. But I still concider it a very good car.

·
Registered
2015 forester, 6 speeds and a quart of oil
120 Posts
OP - sadly I agree with you. I love the AWD and short turning radius, but the mechanical aspects of the vehicle are critically suspect.
After owning 2 Foresters and driving some 275,000 miles on them since 2004, and the experiencing the plague of oil leak and consumption issues; head gaskets, A/C issues plus other matters, I would never recommend a Subaru to anyone.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
170 Posts
@Swamp ash
I can not trully agree with you Swamp ash, because I had a very good experience with mine, my dad is on his third one and loves it, my sister just got a Crosstrek and loves it.
I had my 2010 Forester Premium for 10 years and 158+k on the clock and except for the last year had no major issue. Las year I had to change sparkplugs and wires with coil. Well after 10 years not a bad run.
I had my radiator blow, again after 10 years...
Needed new AC.
And decide to drain and refill transmission and both differentials.
Again after 10 years and 130k not bad. Dealer said the fluids were not bad and I could hold off but I figured needs to be done.

I just got a 2020 RAV4 hybrid, but if I didn't want to go hybrid I would stay with Subaru and would have got a 2020 Forester Sport. Got a quote on it and choosed the color and all already. My wife said why not get a hybrid , so I research and figure I will try it. Do like it. So a compromise. I do not go off-road so it will work ok for me. Maybe next time I return to Suby again.

You can not hold past design for future models. Things changed. Yes before 2010 there were issues with oil and timing belt and head gasket. All of it was fixed in 2020. There maybe some issues here and there but overall I do like what I see, and I still have 2 Suby in the family and my dad will get a suby next I am sure

1 - 4 of 4 Posts