Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a spare set of heads in preparation for my 03 foz HG relacement, and came across a 2005 engine that states timing gear broken in the comments, it is really close to me and I am more than willing to take the time to rebuild this or save it for another project, just seems like a really good deal for a block that may be in good shape.

I will probably head down to see it this Friday just wanted some opinions.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Timing gear broken, first I would do is check for bent valves.

With the crankshaft at the timing mark ( pistons will all be at 1/2 stroke ), I would rotate each camshaft to feel if the valves spring back at each of the 90 degrees. I know it's not an absolute way to check, but at least gives you an idea if there are any free spaces between those 90 degrees, it will have bent valves.

That's just for a start. A good inspection will let you know if anything else was obvious ( oil leaks, coolant leaks ), after that it's still a gamble.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not worried about broken valves or the heads for that matter, the block is really my concern. The heads if usable would maybe go to my legacy in the distant future with some porting, polishing, and delta reground cams.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Check the block for cracks at the oil filter. If the timing sprocket is broke there's a good chance the oil filter took a hit too. The cracks can be welded but it might be easier to just find another motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts