Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Forester XT (2.5 4eat)
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you've been asked similar questions, but none of the posts I've read so far can answer my question... it seems along with a remap you need to be changing your turbo and fuel pump (maybe other parts) etc to get your XT close to 280bhp without it causing damage to the TD04 stock turbo.

Mine is a 4EAT so would need a TCU remap too...

JR Tuning offer both and have been recommended to me. Their Stage 1 remap details are below... is this realistic or am I going to have problems without modifying/uprating other parts?
Power Standard: 230hp Tuned: 270hp Gain: +40hp
Torque Standard: 320Nm Tuned: 380Nm Gain: +60Nm

Thanks in advance for any responses or opinions :)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
394 Posts
"Stage 1" is generally just turning up the boost a bit, adding a little timing and shortening the CL-OL delay. Without supporting mods you won't get as much out of it, but it certainly won't damage anything.

You don't need to change the turbo unless you want over ~18 psi (not that the TD04 won't do more, but it starts to heat the air more than it compresses it at some point). Stock injectors are good to ~300whp or so, as is the stock fuel pump but it's recommended to change it above 250 or so.

You do not need a TCU remap, though it's always nice to get it shifting harder and holding gears longer.

For any other power increase questions, refer to: How to go faster than an STI for cheap!

·
Registered
Forester XT (2.5 4eat)
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Auto
394 Posts
The 4EAT cars are actually quicker off the line than the MT cars, due to torque converter and shorter final drive ratios. Even more fun, a stock 4EAT FXT will beat a similar gen STI off the line for the same reasons :D

Where the 4EAT suffers is in it's short cruising gear and slow shifts...you're stuck with the ratios, but there are a variety of things that have been tried to firm up the shifts. There is a resistor mod to increase line pressure, various tuners claim to offer TCU tunes, or the baja XT sportshift TCU and center diff can be swapped in, which I believe also increases line pressure.

·
Registered
Forester XT (2.5 4eat)
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 4EAT cars are actually quicker off the line than the MT cars, due to torque converter and shorter final drive ratios. Even more fun, a stock 4EAT FXT will beat a similar gen STI off the line for the same reasons :D
@Galaxywide Just a thought... why are the official 0-60 times so much worse for the 4eat compared to the 5MT - does it just 'die' from 30-60? or are the official stats done without a brake start? 5MT would always have the equivalent of a brake start I guess (i.e. rev and then release the clutch), so assume the same 'should' go for 4eat or any auto...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts