Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
^- Makes sense. He doesn't need it to hit his goals nor does he need the further risk of breakin' something.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT LTD 4EAT
386 Posts
Super excited for your build. :Banane35:
STI Mikey (Phatbotti Tuning) just finished tuning my Dom2.5R and I hope you will be as happy as I am with your Kinigawa. I stayed conservative at 20.5psi, the Polka Pickle is supposed to shine at 23-24psi. Good Luck and keep us up to date.
You inspire me to one day make my own build thread.:N_poke:

-Gutie

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would think E85 is going to be pushing the block to it's limits. (We'll find out when nate ruins his lol). You should definitely be around 12.5 or less on regular gas I would think. Ray expects my 18G to put me into the 12's easily. You'd probably be in the 11's with E85 until something breaks that is. lol. I love what's going on here and can't wait to see the outcome.
Just had this discussion at the tune site this weekend; The thing about e85 is that it can push that extra power "safer" than gas. In the sense that 300 HP car on e85 would be safer than a 300HP car on gas, and a 340HP e85 would have similar wear as a 300hp gas. I'd expect a drive train failure first.

·
Registered
04 forester xt
969 Posts
i thought you had some transmission issues a few weeks ago. i havent been on the forums as much lately. what did you do to fix it. sorry off topic.

i hope your ready for a drastic sound change with that elh. hopefully your catback will help it sound better than the wrx i heard with ewg and elh. he had a n1 style catback, worst subaru ive ever heard, it was loud like honda loud

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
I am in hopes of not ruining my piston rings but will take full blame if they do lol. E85 is a much safer fuel as stated above and helps make goals safer buy being able to run more timing and boost at a leaner afr. The op will be able to hit his goal with out it though as his injectors would not support it anyway and im sure will be in the low 12's in the quarter mile. I am hoping to crack the 11's on e85 around 22psi the only thing i hear that my set me back is the IWG on the turbo is known to be sticky and has had issues i guess ( i hope not).

·
Registered
2007 XT - 5MT ELH, EWG, E85, Kinugawa TD06SL 20G 8cm
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
E85 is out of the question, my car sits for days, weeks, I don't want to gunk up the tank, lines, injectors. Also, see Phaton's nasty injector pics over his tuning thread at NASIOC.

Also, can't deal with range anxiety closest gas station is 20 miles away and the next 80 miles, or be subject to E85 concentration inconsistencies pump to pump. And transmission is stock with 100K miles, my point is if I am going to E85 I have to see a noticeable performance difference, otherwise not worth the trouble.

E85 is simply too much hassle and would just add even more complexity to my build.

i thought you had some transmission issues a few weeks ago. i havent been on the forums as much lately. what did you do to fix it. sorry off topic.

i hope your ready for a drastic sound change with that elh. hopefully your catback will help it sound better than the wrx i heard with ewg and elh. he had a n1 style catback, worst subaru ive ever heard, it was loud like honda loud
Spec_bg, I fixed the trans issue by adjusting the clutch pedal travel, shortly after that I hit the 1/4 mile with over ten passes and was able to engage 2nd without a problem, shifted at a high 6K rpm and it engaged smoothly no binding (vid here), I just need to get used to the high clutch pedal location is starting to get on my nerves.

It was a very hard decision to say adios to Boxer rumble but my theme here is function over form, I also hope my Hayward & Scott TBE somehow will help mitigate the alleged Honda sound.

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
I did some research on the "gunk" before I went E85 and the reports seemed to be fairly isolated. So I went for it and have been running E85 exclusively for almost 2 years now and haven't had any symptoms of gunk... yet.... My car has been sitting alot lately, 6 weeks at one point and still nothing yet...

I just did a little more snooping on Nabisco and it seems like issue is becoming more clear. It comes from an actual anti-build up additive in the gasoline component of the E85 and can be linked to some driving habits and fuel blend/quality.

But, it can be easily cleaned by running one tank of gas through, no need to pull injectors for cleaning or run an additive through. E85 Injector Build-up / Gunk - Page 2 - NASIOC

I'd say any hassle associated with E85 (which to me has been fairly minimal) is definately worth the power increase. I'm getting a retune tommorrow on E85 and 91 so I'll have some back to back dyno sheets to *hopefully* back up my sentiment.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
For now I will stick with 93 and consider E85 on next power upgrade, I just don't want to get new injectors or have the complexity of two tunes (93+E85) at once, I want the tuner to really nail my 93 pump map first, and make sure all the other modifications can work in unison with no issues, a lot of things can go wrong everything is getting replaced: spark plugs, fuel pump, injectors, turbo inlet, tmic, pcv valve, etc, etc, etc this is a major swap for me so want to keep the complexity to a minimum.

Back to turbo swap is relocating the light weight Odyssey battery to the spare tire well, got a Stinger 4ga power amplifier kit, 18ft (+), 2 ft (-), 20ft of 4ga is heavy 3.4 lb, fuuukccc so much for light battery savings haha.

·
Registered
2011 turbotek tuned fxt 4eat paddle shift
3,539 Posts
Do you have any pics of your dual catch cans installed? I have a pair of cans but can not find any good place to mount them both away from the heat source. Sorry if thats off topic im just curious is all.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
[B^^]Dual Catch-can Setup[/B]

The front one (by the steering fluid reservoir) is mounted to an aluminum bracket riveted to the fuel line/injector protector stamped steel plate, will take better pics after work. I have a $40 Harbor Freight metal bender to make professional looking 90 deg brackets.

EDIT: Added pics

Strut tower Catch-Can

Power Steering Reservoir Catch Can

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
Back to turbo swap is relocating the light weight Odyssey battery to the spare tire well, got a Stinger 4ga power amplifier kit, 18ft (+), 2 ft (-), 20ft of 4ga is heavy 3.4 lb, fuuukccc so much for light battery savings haha.

[]
HA, but you're still def at a net loss in weight considering the OEM battery weight.
Will you run the "+" cable inside or outside the cabin?

Besides the improved weight distribution I like the idea of cleaning up the engine bay a bit.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 5spd
254 Posts
Also, can't deal with range anxiety closest gas station is 20 miles away and the next 80 miles, or be subject to E85 concentration inconsistencies pump to pump. And transmission is stock with 100K miles, my point is if I am going to E85 I have to see a noticeable performance difference, otherwise not worth the trouble.

E85 is simply too much hassle and would just add even more complexity to my build.
I think I've seen maybe 1 or 2 E85 stations around town. There are not enough of them around to make the swap IMO.

·
Registered
386 Posts
is relocating the light weight Odyssey battery to the spare tire well, got a Stinger 4ga power amplifier kit, 18ft (+), 2 ft (-), 20ft of 4ga is heavy 3.4 lb, fuuukccc so much for light battery savings haha.

Not sure if it will work for us, but a friend of mine (Uncle Scotty on NASIOC) relocated his to u der the passenger seat. Less wiring and more central weight.
I think I've seen maybe 1 or 2 E85 stations around town. There are not enough of them around to make the swap IMO.
That's my issue as well.

·
Registered
08 FXT Sports 5 speed
467 Posts
Hey Bestial, we have nearly the same car, actually all three of us have the same car. What was the point of going with the aftermarket headers?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
What kind of bracket do you have on there after you removed the IWG, looks custom.
Yes, it came from this.

Hey Bestial, we have nearly the same car, actually all three of us have the same car. What was the point of going with the aftermarket headers?
Simply put to make more power, plenty of info on why ELHs are superior and come standard in some JDM Subaru's. Although I must admit I am concerned about loss of low end torque, the Kinugawa uppipe (non-EWG 3-bolt) that came with the ELH is huge (51.5mm ID) vs a high-flow Grimmspeed EWG 2-bolt Uppipe (45mm ID), but is a perfect match for the TD06SL2 turbine housing (50mm ID).

GS Top / Kinugawa Bottom

Grimmspeed Uppipe

Kinugawa Uppipe

Turbo Turbine Inlet, I will probably port match it to uppipe outlet 51mm

·
Registered
2001 Forester 4EAT
842 Posts
I was wondeirng about the big ID ups like yours and the effect on spool (anxious to see your dyno results!). But, your turbo exhaust inlet is also huge (same size) and the header matches the ID of the up pipe so it *might* not be too big of an effect. I think it hurts more when you go from a smaller ID header to a bigger ID up then back to a smaller ID turbo exhaust inlet. At least you're whole system up stream of the turbo is consistent and better than an UEL.

41 - 60 of 541 Posts