Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I bought my 2006 Forester X on January 15th 2010 after the tragic loss of my one-timed loved Chrysler PT Cruiser. I was the only one in my family without a Subaru...not anymore!!

There are a few things that I want to do to my Forester. The day I bought the car I started researching new radios.

We are at a huge advantage having a double DIN opening. That being said, I went ahead and purchased a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. It's being installed tomorrow (photos to follow).

Other mods to come are:

Tweeter kit

Thule bike rack

Skid plates-can someone reccomend where I could find these?

Lift-I'm assuming coil overs due to the suspention. Again, can someone point me in the right direction?

Well... I think thats it for now. Please feel free to comment on some other popular modifications!

Cheers,

J.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
Always good to see another member starting their own Member Journal, or MODding Journal, as I like to call it. When you get your required 15 posts, you can start linking to your picture host. :cool:

The one MOD that most everyone does is window tinting. If your windows aren't tinted, it's something to consider. It keeps the inside cooler & looks very cool from the outside! You can view my before & after tint pictures here. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always good to see another member starting their own Member Journal, or MODding Journal, as I like to call it. When you get your required 15 posts, you can start linking to your picture host. :cool:

The one MOD that most everyone does is window tinting. If your windows aren't tinted, it's something to consider. It keeps the inside cooler & looks very cool from the outside! You can view my before & after tint pictures [ :wink:

Bobby...

Tinting is quite tricky here in NJ. You can't tint the front windows at all. To me, that makes it not worth it. Uneven tinting looks bad to me!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head unit was installed today. Photos to follow tomorrow.

Hopefully my tweeter kit will be in tomorrow.

Can anyone point me to skid plates and a lift kit?

J.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
Tinting is quite tricky here in NJ. You can't tint the front windows at all. To me, that makes it not worth it. Uneven tinting looks bad to me!
I prefer not to tint the front (driver/passenger) windows on my vehicles. With the rear glass tinted, the fronts looks darker with the tint that's already in the glass. To me this looks like a factory/OEM tint that you see on most vehicles & not aftermarket. That's the look I want... yes a personal preference. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I prefer not to tint the front (driver/passenger) windows on my vehicles. With the rear glass tinted, the fronts looks darker with the tint that's already in the glass. To me this looks like a factory/OEM tint that you see on most vehicles & not aftermarket. That's the look I want... yes a personal preference. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

I get what you are saying. I like things looking even....OCD I guess!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the tweeter install this weekend. It took no more than five minutes total. Awesome. Photos to follow when I find the time to sign up for a image hosting site. I only have a flickr which doesn't host.

Looking into some other things in the near future. Maybe the Subtle Lift Kit!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't forget about this I swear! Lots going on these days.

I'm looking into doing a fog light install with a stock switch in the very near future.

I am also looking into a Thule bike rack for the spring!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK...so it's been a while but I have finally gotten around to uploading some photos to the web for all of you to enjoy. The next few posts are things I have done in the past month and a half.....

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pioneer Head Unit!

The first thing I did to my Forester was change out the head unit. I am a musician and I live by my iPod, so the stock WB radio was just not going to cut it. I must say though, I liked listening to the WB channels. I can't tell you why though.

The last time I bought a head unit was almost 10 years ago. I bought a Pioneer Premier unit for my PT Cruiser. It was one of the first units to be able to control an iPod. It was slow, stubborn, and generally did not work very well, but it was "cutting edge."

After doing some research I decided to stick with Pioneer. Being that it was the new year, most of last years models were going on sale. I went down to my local install shop and found a AVH-P3100DVD for a great price. When the iPod control cable and video bypass were thrown in, I was sold!

I will be honest. I can't use that bypass while driving. Something called common sense...

The install is very clean and matched the grey interior great. I am mechanically and electricity stupid, so I let the guy at the shop do the install. It's better to leave things to professionals.

The only gripe I have with this unit is the iPod cable. My old unit ran the cable through the back of the unit and was routed to the glovebox. These new ones have the cable connecting to the front. Not a big deal I guess but I think it would be so awesome to leave the iPod in the glove box.

So there you go!

More to come!

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone please tell me why my photo is not showing up? I am using Piccassa.

Jon

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you used the wrong coding for the insert... you don't want to embed, you just want the photo link so you can insert it with the "IMG" method our board uses.
Dude,

I found the IMG method but still can't get the image to show. I am using the link supplied to me by Google. What am I doing wrong?

Jon

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
Dude,

I found the IMG method but still can't get the image to show. I am using the link supplied to me by Google. What am I doing wrong?

Jon
Looks like the code is right, but you aren't linking directly to the file. The URL should link directly to a .jpg file. I followed your original link, right-clicked on the image to 'view image', then used that URL.

Nice HU by the way! I love mine. Any idea how they did the override? I have a switch in my console that I flip, but I would guess a shop would set up a relay.

Mine:

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like the code is right, but you aren't linking directly to the file. The URL should link directly to a .jpg file. I followed your original link, right-clicked on the image to 'view image', then used that URL.

Nice HU by the way! I love mine. Any idea how they did the override? I have a switch in my console that I flip, but I would guess a shop would set up a relay.

Mine:

Thanks for the tip ill keep trying!

They did the override with a toggle switch with is located under the heating controls by my right leg. Its semi-hidden. I would love to move it to my center console but it's in and I don't want an ugly hole. I'll take a photo of it when I figure out this hosting stuff!.

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ladies and Gentlemen....Jongrill has FINALLY figured out image hosting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts