Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Joining the Lifted Club - CRASH Update.

Last week I picked up struts and springs from an '04 SG (Thank you, PSB83!). I ordered a spring compressor kit from Harbor Freight, and the more I thought about it, I couldn't let it go what a great time this would be to install lifting blocks. If I sat on the fence too long I would just forget about it - so I quickly got on Subtle Solutions' site and ordered the blocks.

My Forester has some miles on the odometer, approaching 142,000. But I've got full exhaust, General Grabber all-terrains, Yakima bars and bike racks, and it's soon to be lifted. I think it's coming along pretty nicely. I'll be sure to take before and after measurements and pictures of the job - and maybe even some post-lift shenanigans in the dirt. Wish me luck!

Also, just want to say how great this forum is. An amazing amount of knowledge and people generous about sharing it. Thanks, everyone.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Take LOTS of pics of the install as I've been on the fence about lifting mine as well. I just ordered new GR-2 struts, so I was too thinking of ordering the blocks as it would be an ideal time to lift. Good luck with the install.

Remember........LOTS of pics. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Subtle-Solutions.com, for one.
Or, like Frogstar, make your own. I would've love to get some 2" lifting blocks made but I don't have the knowledge or access to a metal shop. So, off-the-shelf 1" blocks from Subtle will do fine.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
Take LOTS of pics of the install as I've been on the fence about lifting mine as well. I just ordered new GR-2 struts, so I was too thinking of ordering the blocks as it would be an ideal time to lift. Good luck with the install.

Remember........LOTS of pics. :biggrin:
call up primitive ... they have king springs too - might as well " while your in there " :biggrin:

ahhh living vicariously through my foz friends LOL

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love a set of Kings, but those Aussie springs are too damned expensive! I'll have to settle for 2004 Foz springs, huh..

Eventually, though, I'll call Primitive for the skid plates. I have an u.e.l. header, so I'll have to talk to them about the proper bolts and spacers to clear it with the 3/16" plate.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
I'd love a set of Kings, but those Aussie springs are too damned expensive! I'll have to settle for 2004 Foz springs, huh..

Eventually, though, I'll call Primitive for the skid plates. I have an u.e.l. header, so I'll have to talk to them about the proper bolts and spacers to clear it with the 3/16" plate.
Paul at PE said for my MY03 they were like 525.00 shipped but was very willing to work with me to get them in my hands . give him an email , great guy !

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Just be careful with that spring compressor. And access to air tools will make your life WAY less crappy on that part. I have done several lifts. Once with hand tools. Took about 7 hours to do the front of the truck. Next time used air tools and was done in an hour and a half.

For the compressor, I would use one with three bolts if possible. Much more stable. Also, DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THE COMPRESSOR ON BEFORE YOU UNDO THE TOP BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can literally die if you unscrew that without compressing the spring first.

Not sure how similar our suspension set ups are to the ones I have done, but just take your times, and be careful, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
And access to air tools will make your life WAY less crappy on that part.

For the compressor, I would use one with three bolts if possible. Much more stable. Also, DO NOT FORGET TO PUT THE COMPRESSOR ON BEFORE YOU UNDO THE TOP BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

be careful, and you'll be fine.
AIR TOOL S_ YES!!

ha ha I tried to short cut this once lowering a porsche ... I decided to put the compressor on the new springs and just take a cutoff wheel on the old ones to "relieve the pressure " :crazy: it worked but it scared the piss out of me and shot some piece across the garage that embedded into the sheet rock ! = not a good idea , LOTS of pressure in those puppies !

there's lots of pride in taking your time doing it your self and a good job at it .. not much pride if you do all that and are maimed from the experience :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
150 Posts
Hey Steve. Glad to see you're putting the suspension to use so soon! I'm eager to see pictures.

I've been thinking about trying to find a cheap SF and lifting it. This may well be the inspiration I need.

Good luck with everything man. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Just be careful with that spring compressor. And access to air tools will make your life WAY less crappy on that part. I have done several lifts. Once with hand tools. Took about 7 hours to do the front of the truck. Next time used air tools and was done in an hour and a half.

Not sure how similar our suspension set ups are to the ones I have done, but just take your times, and be careful, and you'll be fine.
The subaru strut setups don't actually have that much preload, you could undo them without it launching out hard like most other companies.

Also these lift blocks go ontop of the struts, instead of spacing out the springs. The lift blocks are -incredibly- easy to install, you only have to undo the 3 top strut bolts and it fits between them and the body, don't need spring compressors or anything more than hand tools to put them on if you're not changing anything else.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
Pics?

Any pics??? Inquiring minds want to know:mob:

I too am trying to do the same thing to an 99 with tired suspension. My options are stock SG, stock SG plus 1" lift (Subtle), 1" lift Kings, or Kings AND lift.

I'm leaning towards stock or kings plus lift. Kind of an all or nothing thing.

Do share!

Marlow

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't stand the waiting! But argg.. I have to. The job is tentatively scheduled for next Monday, the 15th. That's the next time my buddy helping me will have off when I do. As promised, I'll take as many pictures as I can. In the meantime, I think I've come up with a great way to mount lights on my roof, just need to buy the lights...

·
Registered
1999 Forester
37 Posts
I can't stand the waiting! But argg.. I have to. The job is tentatively scheduled for next Monday, the 15th. That's the next time my buddy helping me will have off when I do. As promised, I'll take as many pictures as I can. In the meantime, I think I've come up with a great way to mount lights on my roof, just need to buy the lights...
Good to know... I just hate it when you find a thread that covers exactly what you are looking but doesn't get followed up on.

Also, do you mind sharing with the world what the SG takeoffs set you back? If you'd rather not share do you think you could PM me with an approximate amount. The few sets I've seen have been open to offers - but I hate to offer too much or too little.

Whatever I do I'll post some pics on the forum, and if it involves lift I may well put it in this forum.

Clutch, full repaint and rear bearings are all done.... all I need is some suspension and tires!

Cheers and thanks,

Marlow

1 - 20 of 27 Posts