Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a few years my dad and I have thrown around the idea of starting a project together - we finally pulled the trigger on an '05 FXT 5spd.

I previously owned a VF34 powered 2007 WRX wagon with a 6spd swap (the Stealthwagon) that I had a lot of fun with - feel free to check my build thread over on Nasioc -> https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862152. I had a lot of fun with that car, but eventually sold it for a Focus RS. The RS lasted just short of two years before I needed something more comfortable for a DD.

So, back to our new project. The FXT is in somewhat rough shape - it's got 215k miles and a bad turbo. Most of the issues are purely cosmetic (aside from the bad turbo). We're hopeful the turbo hasn't puked metal into the engine. Our plan is to get it up and running and refurbish the car as much as we can to start. Eventually the plan is to go do an STi swap. We're not quite sure of the theme yet though...

Anyway, here are the pics! Haven't cleaned it up at all yet, so this is the condition we brought it home in.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow progress so far, but I got the bad turbo out. Lots of chipped turbine wheel fins - hopefully we didn't get too much metal into the engine. The shaft connecting the turbine wheel and compressor wheel was actually completely sheared - never seen that before. No wonder it was making such bad noises. I haven't drained the oil yet to see if there's anything in it - fingers crossed the rest of the engine is still good. Hoping to get her back up and running in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,445 Posts
I'm sorry to say but with that damage, 100% there's metal in the oil and bearings are probably toast...or will be shortly. Might as well save the time and headache and just plan a new build.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our plan was to do an STi swap eventually, but we were hoping to at least get it running until my dad's shop got built and we found the right donor car. Probably moves the timeline up a bit. A bummer for sure, but really this is what we were after in the first place.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that's MUCH better...

Should have the FXT up and running this weekend, as long as my parts order arrives in time! Was pretty encouraged when I drained the oil - I wasn't able to see any flakes or chunks. I strained some of the oil to, and didn't see anything either. I'm sending a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

While I'm waiting for parts to get her back up and running, I decided to take a stab at refurbishing the headlights - which were pretty bad. About 10 minutes worth of work, the drivers side turned out pretty good.

Yuck:

Freshly buffed:

Got some WRX goodies incoming for a few more upgrades!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Those lights will fog back up very quickly now that the UV Coating is broken down. I've had great luck with Sylviania's UV Block coating. It's a bit tricky to apply but so long as you protect it like you would clear coat, it will keep the lights looking new.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5spd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those lights will fog back up very quickly now that the UV Coating is broken down. I've had great luck with Sylviania's UV Block coating. It's a bit tricky to apply but so long as you protect it like you would clear coat, it will keep the lights looking new.
I've got a sealant that came with the kit that I've had good luck with on other cars in the past. If that doesn't work that great, I'll try the Sylvania stuff.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
PS I'd still be super cautious if I were you...the bearing material, depending on how long it was in the oil, may have had the larger chunks settled and the smaller pieces filtered out by now. However the metal went through the engine and it did damage..this is why failures don't necessarily occur immediately following a turbo failure...sometimes they happen a couple thousand miles later. Unless you drop the pan, pull the oil feed lines, check the screens, etc....you shouldn't be overly confident that engine is going to last long at all....so that nice shiny turbo you have there may end up failing shortly after installing it along with the engine then you're out that new turbo and your time there as well.

And also by that time you might end up scoring up the heads too so you're looking at a whole new long block to go along with it instead of just a short block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts