Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I'm not sure what area this should be in...but we have a topic that is covered in spurts...but needs to have a home!!! Many of us, be it male or female, have been forced to "deal" with your new partner.

In the most well-natured tone...many of us have found that trading jobs 4 mods is the way to go. Some cases its a duel partnership...some its a tradeoff...but non the less, we get it done. There's been many cases over the years so feel free to play catch up and relay your favorite stories, or let everyone know what u have in the works....

Based off a convo earlier, I would like to share my most recent JFM (Job for mod).......i agreed to remodel our downstairs 1/2 bath in exchange for .......giving my 2.5L her voice back! Bathroom gutted....axleback ordered, Dunn and Dunn!

*** original idea has also been expanded to include really any story of putting in oddjob (non auto related) work in exchange for/or resulting in the purchase of parts. Regardless of whether it was a deal with the significant other....or that guy down the street.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
What a great thread. Personally the only mod left to do for me is lower it and new rims. I almost bit the bullet today, but figured the $3k on some landscaping at the house was a better use for the money. Goodbye rims & lowering springs for now...

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Great thread! I will ease into this because most of the mods I've done to the fozzy has been because of agreements made with the misses. lol So with the amount of mods i've done = my long honey do list.

Just recently, I got the okay to upgrade suspension but in return a whole bunch of yard work. This past weekend, rototill and edge. This weekend coming up, plant new grass.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Sh*t, I shoulda hired you Josh. Just paid someone to rototill my yard and the cheapest I could find someone to do it was $850. You might be missing your calling on the weekends or at least a way to fund your slush fund for car parts.

·
Registered
2012 2012 Forester 2.5i 4 automatic
15 Posts
Just remodeled the dining room...never used, so I could buy my '03 Forester XS...used often.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Sh*t, I shoulda hired you Josh. Just paid someone to rototill my yard and the cheapest I could find someone to do it was $850. You might be missing your calling on the weekends or at least a way to fund your slush fund for car parts.
Damn, I would have done it for less than half!

·
Premium Member
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
1,630 Posts
Haha great thread!
Its always fun trying to find ways to get mods out of the significant other. :raspberry:

·
Premium Member
2013 Battle Wagon The Lazy One
1,358 Posts
My TFM:

Traded repainting all the interior trim in our new house for new suspension. As long as I "keep the family in mind" and dont go too low.

As well as a new mountain bike, being that it will get me in better shape! haha

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
You poor guys having to get permission or requesting to modify. If you are the bread winner in the household why can't you slice the bread and butter it up the way you want, when you want?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
You poor guys having to get permission or requesting to modify. If you are the bread winner in the household why can't you slice the bread and butter it up the way you want, when you want?
Because it's not 1950 anymore. You have a family, you love them, decisions about time and money are decided together.

For me it's just usually trading time more than anything. I sell some parts and that turns into the funds that I can spend on other parts. The wife goes out with friends, goes for a run, gets a massage, etc in exchange for me getting garage time and run/ride time.

Oh, I also am in the middle of replacing some water damaged drywall and studs. After that I can get back to my transmission project(s).

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Im not only the breadwinner, but Im the sole income, so my money is spread all over the place. I wish I could just go buy everything, but I ask because I make the money, and the wife manages the money. Its a win-win because eventually Ill get what I want. Just have to save sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2011 XT Touring 4EAT
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Obviously this is all 99% in good fun/joking around with each other...and for me with the wife as well who is a car person actually herself. So our setup works both ways technically!!

So its more of a matter of when the extra fun funds come up if it goes towards the car...rather then golf and skiing as mine used to. Not that we're taking the electric bill money and buying parts. The KEY is whether you buy an sti 6spd or go on vacation to key West....my whole family would enjoy Key West more so we might choose that. Buy a new front lip or a new front door?....i already have a front door.

My starting of the thread was just to reflect on those times where you needed to/succeeded in explaining how "I love the new bathroom and it cost less then our initial budget ...oh my, what should we do with the extra?". I know a few things, hahah..........and one may have a better chance if your partner gets their "new thing" so you can get your new thing. At least that's 50/50.

***And right on point with how Nepbug stated it.

·
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Are you married or have a significant other? Kid(s)? It's not about getting permission or who's the bread winner.

Because it's not 1950 anymore. You have a family, you love them, decisions about time and money are decided together.

For me it's just usually trading time more than anything. I sell some parts and that turns into the funds that I can spend on other parts. The wife goes out with friends, goes for a run, gets a massage, etc in exchange for me getting garage time and run/ride time.

Oh, I also am in the middle of replacing some water damaged drywall and studs. After that I can get back to my transmission project(s).
Obviously this is all 99% in good fun/joking around with each other...and for me with the wife as well who is a car person actually herself. So our setup works both ways technically!!

So its more of a matter of when the extra fun funds come up if it goes towards the car...rather then golf and skiing as mine used to. Not that we're taking the electric bill money and buying parts. The KEY is whether you buy an sti 6spd or go on vacation to key West....my whole family would enjoy Key West more so we might choose that. Buy a new front lip or a new front door?....i already have a front door.

My starting of the thread was just to reflect on those times where you needed to/succeeded in explaining how "I love the new bathroom and it cost less then our initial budget ...oh my, what should we do with the extra?". I know a few things, hahah..........

***And right on point with how Nepbug stated it.
Couldn't agree with you more!

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
Are you married or have a significant other? Kid(s)? It's not about getting permission or who's the bread winner.
Not that I'm an adult or anything, but I see this in our house all the time. My dad frequently forsakes things he wants to buy so that my mom and us kids can do a lot, too (my dad makes more than my mom does). If my dad wanted to mod his Legacy a lot, we would have maybe two cars. Not the three or sometimes four vehicles that we usually have at a time so that I can drive, too. (In order of who's "more" into cars, it's my dad, then me, then my mom, then my sisters don't really count haha.)

There are other examples, but for instance going out has become less of an issue since I got a job. Now I just pay for it when I take my little sisters out for food. :raspberry:

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
This is funny. I know we're establishing this is for fun and not bread winnings but I can relate. I worked up to 70hrs a week, 4hrs of sleep if I was lucky and when it came to my time off I just wanted to chill, go fishing or work on the car. She wanted to spend what little free time doing cuddly stuff. Lol My wife was promoted so I resigned from my side job. We're better off in every way. If I want something, I put in a bit of OT. Although I can't think of any specific jobs4mods, I know it's happened.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I meant no disrespect or any self gratification on my post. I was just trying to clarify. This is an awesome topic for fun and I hope it stays that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
It will...and I hope u have to paint the white trim a nice white color. For fun.

haha I actually have to paint the wood grain color white. Im actually debating pulling it all and just installing the pre painted white trim, but I dont want to mess with the door jams.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts