Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just took delivery of a '14 Jasmine Green 2.5i Touring and kept some money aside for "enhancements". I have a lot of good ideas from other folks.

I can't come up with a name for the car. It's green. It doesn't really look like a reptile. Still thinking... For now, it's a group of trees, a forest.

Dealer Options:
  1. Towing kit -- I like how the factory kit sits up under the bumper, keeping most of the original angle of departure. It came with the hitch insert, so I just need a ball.
  2. Rear Bumper Cover
  3. Auto Dim Compass Mirror
  4. Cargo Cover
  5. (and all the standard items with the touring model)

To-Do List:
  • All done, running out of ideas...??

Maybe's:
  • 1" Lift & Alignment
  • Primitive Skid Plate
  • Trade an older 8x5 utility trailer for a smaller fold-up model (for hauling dirt bikes and the occasional trash)

Done:

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Glove Box Light -- posted under Lighting and Electrical, with a few highlights here:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/2664922-post1.html

I tapped a 12V lead under the passenger side A-pillar that feeds the dome lights:

I removed the glove box door, along with a panel to the right side, a panel just above it, and the kick panel below it to access all the screws to remove the glove box housing itself:

These are the parts, just a switch and an LED fixture. I used a 5/8” stainless steel accent LED in a screw mount from Autolumination. The switch is a Duralast SW6727 for a Hyundai Tuscon. Then there is the little black mount from the Forester itself that I had to ream out a little.

I cut out a spot for the switch in the lower left, and wired it up on the back, grounding it on a metal bar on the housing itself.

And here it is on a dark evening.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Whiteline RSB (Rear Sway Bar) Installation

The best information for this mod is SJ's SJ journal. I installed the same BSR49Z Whiteline 20mm RSB as SJ, from Oakos, and had only a couple problems.

I took note of the original installation and the direction of the bolts. I removed the original RSB easily enough and compared the two bars.

The two bars have similar curvature, but the OEM swaybar (black) is a little narrower where the end-links connect. (Whiteline is a little wider)

The BSR49Z is adjustable from left (softer) to right (stiffer). The OEM bar (in black) lines up best with the center hole in the Whiteline. I put the endlink in the softer hole.

I couldn't get the Whiteline RSB installed to the car, and found that the bushing on one side was clamped 1/2" off. The left side bushing was clamped in the right spot, same as OEM, about 4" from the outside edge of the curve.

But the right side bushing was clamped on 1/2" off. Whiteline provided two more clamp springs, so I just moved it over.

After installation, the end link leans slightly. This puts pressure on the rubber bushing bolted in to the framing and will probably reduce the useful life of the end link.

It's a good change. I used to feel like I had to push the steering a little more to get around the corners, but now I don't. I move the steering wheel in a natural way, and the car turns in a natural way. I really like it and feel that it was about $200 well spent.

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
I bought the cargo cover, if I happen to having anything expensive or worth anything in the back I don't want anyone to know. I would suggest it, pretty much like having a trunk and you can store it under the cargo tray. I'm liking the Jasmine green color more and more so kudos! I just ungraded my RSB with a adjustable Whiteline 20mm and Kartboy end links, Husky liners, and LED upgrades among others... http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/sjs-sj-244914/. Nice to see a new foz in Washington State!

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Moved Sway Bar to Medium Setting

I moved the end links on my Whiteline Swaybar to its medium setting. This picture shows the three settings. I don't notice much difference in daily driving, but I took a trip along the Mt Rainier Longmire-Stevens Canyon road and it zips around those corners better than the soft setting. Then I found a dirt road and it handled fine there too. I believe there's a concern for more rear-end sliding as the swaybar gets stiffer. I didn't have any problem in the dirt and gravel, but I'm not a real aggressive driver anyway. It's staying at the medium setting for now. It took me about an hour to move both sides from Soft to Med.

My original post on the swaybar install

·
Registered
2014 Subaru CVT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Geolanders vs. Mud = No Traction

The stock Geolanders on my 2014 are pretty useless in the mud. I did not expect them to be great anyway. I was elk hunting around Manastash Ridge and it was raining, raining, raining. On the gravel forest roads and rocky roads, the tires did fine. But I wanted to take one side road that had a bit of dip and climb and the car couldn't make it up the little climb. I had plenty of power and all four wheels were engaged, but I just slushed back and forth in the mud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.