Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my oil changed at Jiffy Lube for my 2003 Forester XS (automatic). 31,000 miles. They told me to get radiator service, transmission service, Front Differential service, rear differential service, and tire rotation.

I told them "No thanks, just change my oil." But I've never owned a car younger than 100K miles. Should I get all that stuff done? Where can I find a real-world guide to recommended service? Thanks!

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
There's a Subaru 30k maintenance interval where you change all that stuff. If you log into the http://my.subaru.com website you can bring up the service history/maintence schedule for your car. It lists everything that needs to be done.

·
Premium Member
04 XT
733 Posts
In all honesty I would be hesitant to allow Jiffy Lube to perform service on my driveline. Unless you feel confident they are above the norm.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
I would also be weary about letting Jiffly Lube perform service such as what you mentioned. I recall taking our jeep to a quick oil change place, where then they came in saying that they really should and need to change the transfercase oil, where I said, no thanks, I'm sort of in a hurry, where then they gave me a long schpeel about the whole situation. They even came in and had a white cloth with "my" transfercase oil and what it "should" look like

The next time I had my oil changed I went the the dealership where the checked everything and they said the transfercase oil looked fine

Lousy crooks

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
6 or 1/2 dozen... they're all the same. If you want it done right you have to do it yourself. Otherwise you're rolling the dice. I've had my share of Jiffy Lube snafus as well as dealer snafus.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I wouldn't go to Jiffy Lube if it was free. They constantly install the wrong size filter and overfill all the fluids. They are messy and are too worried about getting people out in a hurry and don't watch what they are doing. I write from experience.

The dealer always has coupons that are around the same price and Jiffy, even cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should clarify... I don't intend to get the service done at jiffy lube. I just wondered whether the services needed to be done. The only thing I use jiffy lube for is oil changes, standing right there to watch them drain the oil and install a new filter. I'll check out my.subaru.com.

Thanks!

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
I think the point they are making, is most of us wouldn't even have our oil changed there. I've heard of horror stories where they drained the tranny fluid and then filled the engine oil, doubling how much oil you should have. :shock:
One friend of mine was missing the bottom "splash gaurd" thing that goes under the engine after they left. I went to a naiborhood machanics shop one time to have my oil changed, and they did it to the wrong car! (not the FXT, an old Legacy) I guess my key just worked in someone elses Legacy. I had to wonder if that person ever noticed their car was missing for 30 min or if they even knew they had their oil changed. :roll:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Here's the maintenance schedule for your Subie. Stay clear of Jiffy Lube by all means and find a qualified mechanic that you can trust and who has experience servicing Subarus.

D

·
0 Posts
yeah I would have to say the Jiffy Lube woudln't be such a good idea, they don't really know what they are doing.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
I just changed most of what you mentioned at my Subi dealer (engine coolant, diff fluids etc).....personally I'd stay away from jiffy lube places & either do the dealer, yourself or find a good independent mechanic for your maintenance needs.......heard way too many horror stories at these oil change joints. :shock:

·
Registered
934 Posts
i change my oil myself anymore... i think thoes places are all out to swindle as much as they can out of you. i feel like the next thing they say is AND FOR THIS LAST THING WILL YOU PLEASE TURN AROUND AND GRAB YOUR ANKLES.
i went to firestone once and the told me i would need brake pads to pass inspection and it would be 780 to turn my rotors and put new pads on my car. i just laughed at the guy. and told him ill go somewhere else.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
ogopogo said:
I wouldn't go to Jiffy Lube if it was free.
I couldn't agree with you more! A bunch of monkeys who get paid (maybe) minimum wage and might possibly be able to dress themselves in the morning to change your oil and do maintenance. Too many problems coming from them. Better off letting a blind old lady w/ no arms change your oil let alone work on your tranny.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,969 Posts
sirwilliam said:
I couldn't agree with you more! A bunch of monkeys who get paid (maybe) minimum wage and might possibly be able to dress themselves in the morning to change your oil and do maintenance. Too many problems coming from them. Better off letting a blind old lady w/ no arms change your oil let alone work on your tranny.
With 1 tooth, wearing a checkered hat with ear flaps in August! :spinnasmiley :wtfeyes

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Dealership drained and replaced both of my diff's fluid for ~6.00

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Dealership drained and replaced both of my diff's fluid for ~6.00
$6.00 US? :confused: I would expect like $60, including fluid.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
FXTIam said:
$6.00 US? :confused: I would expect like $60, including fluid.
I got alot of service done on the car.. basicly the rundown was..

24.56 for Grease Oil and Filter/test antifreeze/ topped off fluids

159.15 for tune up replaced spark plugs, air and fuel filter, and pcv valve

68.98 for Transmission fluid and filter

6.00 for Drain and Repl. both FT and Rear differential fluids

Thats about it.. thats including labor/parts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts