Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Welcome to my journal. First off, I'm not a racer nor do I go off roading, so you won't see some extreme modifications to my Subaru. I do however like having a unique forester, but I also like having my car look somewhat stock. My forester is for the family and for travelling across the country with a reliable car. I'm a first time Subaru owner: 09 Forester X Limited, and I'm so happy and proud to be part of the Subaru family. Well on with the show!

Mod 1 - Foot well LED Blue
Mod 2 - Sound Ordnance 8bpt Sub
Mod 3 - Dual DVD head rests(sprayed to match interior gray)
Mod 4 - OEM Front Spoiler
Mod 5 - Japanese Cherry wood dash kit
Mod 6 - Flyaudio DVD GPS Head unit
Mod 7 - Polk DB651 all 4 doors

Update 2/1/11
Added Nokian WRG2 tires x4
Mod 8 - OEM Sports Grill
Mod 9 - Inno Fairing
Mod 10 - DIY vinyl wrap front spoiler trim/lip

Updated 4/27/11:
Mod 11 - Swift Springs insalled
Mod 12 - Factory Kiss Rear view camera
Mod 13 - My DIY two tone color interior

5/8/11
Mod 14 - Painted mufflers black

5/31/11
Mod 15 - MY DIY rear bumper vinyl wrap accent

June/11

Mod 16 - MY DIY vinyl headlight eyelids

10/16/11

Mod 17 - Rear Middle hatch spoiler/lid

11/13/11
Added SPT license plate frame Matt black

1/11/12

Added aluminum door sill inserts

The first mod was the footwell LED lights which I didn't document. I did however document my second Mod, the Sound Ordnance Subwoofer.

This was a vast improvement to my OEM Sound system. I already had the tweeters installed when we brought the Forester, so this was, what I feel, the icing on the cake. It has created such a punch that I truly am reconsidering replacing the OEM speakers. Though time will tell, once you get bitten by the sound bug, it takes control over you. If you're looking to add a sub that will deliver the punch to vibrate your rear view mirror without breaking the bank, I suggest you checking out the Sound Ordnance Sub. Now this won't shatter your windows, but you will feel the bass in your ***.

It took about two hours of work, but It could have taken 45 minutes if you just want to feed the cables without sleeves and without being neat. Maybe even less time if you have an aftermarket HU. You'd only need to run RCA cables without having to tap into speaker cables. The sub fits perfectly under the seat and is totally invisible. I'll be adding more pictures of the sub and it's position under the seat so that you can get a better idea. Next up, dual head rest dvd video and front spoiler. Should have the headrests next week and spoiler in two weeks.

Amp kit and Amp box

Amp with remote, remote cable, dog tags, speaker connections and manual

Had to remove middle console to run the wires from amp to radio and battery
Top view of the console. You just have to remove two screws and one screw over by the emergency brake. You have to pull up the break sleeve, which is held by clips.

Middle console removed with all wires running through with cable sleeve. I like to keep everything neat and like OEM. Also if you look closely, you'll see the ground cable attached to the screw in the center. The cable is silver and was also put into a sleeve.

I left the wire long enough to be able to slide out the sub if I had to.

I purchased Ideal Tap Spice from Lowes, in order to tap into the remote and speaker cables of the OEM HU. This way I wouldn't have to cut the cables. I called Crutchfield to find out which cable was the remote and which were the rear speaker cables. Tech was very helpful. If you have an aftermarket head unit, you can skip this step and run RCA cables instead. The sub has both RCA inputs and Speaker Inputs.

View from HU opening. Speaker wire with Tap Splice. They're a little hard to see, but it's the blue squares hanging from the cables. Very easy to put on.

This is the view from the engine, I passed the power cable through a hole which was covered by a rubber pad, it's located on the driver side by the steering wheel area, you can't miss it, its oval shaped. I removed the pad and created a slit in the middle using a box cutter. Then I passed the power cable, which is also covered in the cable plastic sleeve.

This is the power cable which has a fuse box. It was included, so I left it. Better safe than sorry.

Update:8/21 more Pics

Power cable connected to battery. (you can see the blue cable showing a little)
[/IMG]

Battery with cover on. Cable and clamp fits perfectly.
[/IMG]

Sub under driver seat. Virtually invisible. I'm 6 ft tall and the seat is almost all the way back, but even if I move it forward, you still can't see it.
[/IMG]

Side view of driver seat.
[/IMG]

Closer look of the amp under seat.
[/IMG]

Closer look at the amps controls.
[/IMG]

Close look at the amps connectors.

[/IMG]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,334 Posts
Always good to see a new journal starting up! Nice start on your Member Journal. :cool:

You might be copying the wrong Photobucket link. You want the "IMG Code", the last item on the drop down menu. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I really enjoy the great sound that is coming out of this little sub. I also just ordered a Japanese cherry wood dash kit. Call me old fashioned, but I love wood dashes, makes the car look luxurious. I've seen it in other Foresters with leather interior and it really enhances the interior. Install will be done in one week.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X SE
20 Posts
Hi Jesus; thanks for these pictures! Can you tell me if you attached the sub to the vehicle, or is it just free-floating? If it's not attached, is there any problem with it moving around while driving, braking hard, etc?

You're still happy with the sub? Worth the $200? :icon_biggrin: I'm considering getting one...

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I attached the velcro which came with the amp. It stays still and fits perfectly under the seat. I live in the Poconos mountains and we have alot of hilly curvy roads and the sub doesn't budge one bit. One note though, you'll have to add some crazy glue or strong glue to the glued backing of the velcro for it to stay on the bottom of the amp. Flimsy velcro glue backing I guess.

I feel it was well worth the $200. 120 RMS watt/250 watt peak sub,three year warranty, free shipping, Crutchfield tech support and amp kit, it really is worth it. If you're looking for super thumping bass to hit the next guys car, you'll have to get a bandpass with two 12s and an amp. But if you want nice, clean, deep bass added to your system, I recommend it. It may not shatter the other guys windshield but it can however pump so much bass that it will shake your rear view mirror and you can feel the bass. I can put the volume up without distortion. On another note, this came with a small remote, which I'm not using. I just tweaked the sound perfectly from the amp and control it from the head unit. Once I found the perfect balance I left it as is. If you're one to always be tweaking the amp, the remote only offers the volume control, you'll have to tweak it from the amp. The kenwood sub has the advantage with the remote controls because it has all the controls on it, but lacks in the wattage/power and warranty.

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mod 3 & 4 DVD Head rests/Front Spoiler

I got my front spoiler yesterday and my head rests today. Of course, I can't wait to install my new add ons so with a little help from my friend I installed the Head rests and Front spoiler. The head rests came with a bunch of accessories, including two zip up (to hide from pesky thieves) DVD 7 inch head rest, two wireless remotes, two wireless joysticks, two wireless headphones, and all the cables for video inputs, outputs, power, etc. The install was easy, the only thing about the color (I have gray leather) is a little darker, not by much, but a little. You can't notice it unless you get up close to it. Doesn't bother me at all and I'm picky about things like that. The players have built in speakers, and can transmit to the wireless headphones or the radio, via specific radio frequency, no need to tap into any speaker cables. They have a USB input and SD card slot, they also came with 1200 video games both 32 and 8 bit. A friend of mine has the same ones and purchased these 3 years ago and still play perfectly. It might be due to the Sony lens and the Samsung display. Oh yeah, the pair was $225.00

Head rest with all the accessories
[/IMG]

Comparison to OEM head rest/ not much of difference in size or color.
[/IMG]

Closer look at the head rest.
[/IMG]

Ran cables through the head rest insert holes and through the back side of the seats, unzipped the back and fished the cables through and under.
[/IMG]

Video and cable wires are connected to each other, I can play one dvd and see it on both screens or play two individual dvds.
[/IMG]

Took off the middle console and tapped into the power and ground of the cigarette lighter socket in the console using tap splice.
[/IMG]

Finished product with the head rest zippered up and hidden.
[/IMG]

Unzipped and playing one dvd on both screens.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mod 4 the front spoiler

Just a few before and after pictures of my forester. The Spoiler was a no brainer and only took about 15 minutes to put on. I love the way it changed the front end. It's about time I got it too!

Front view Before install
[/IMG]

Side view before install
[/IMG]

Installing, I got my friend T to do the drilling work.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Finished product.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
2010 2.5X SE
20 Posts
I attached the velcro which came with the amp. It stays still and fits perfectly under the seat. I live in the Poconos mountains and we have alot of hilly curvy roads and the sub doesn't budge one bit. One note though, you'll have to add some crazy glue or strong glue to the glued backing of the velcro for it to stay on the bottom of the amp. Flimsy velcro glue backing I guess.

I feel it was well worth the $200. 120 RMS watt/250 watt peak sub,three year warranty, free shipping, Crutchfield tech support and amp kit, it really is worth it. If you're looking for super thumping bass to hit the next guys car, you'll have to get a bandpass with two 12s and an amp. But if you want nice, clean, deep bass added to your system, I recommend it. It may not shatter the other guys windshield but it can however pump so much bass that it will shake your rear view mirror and you can feel the bass. I can put the volume up without distortion. On another note, this came with a small remote, which I'm not using. I just tweaked the sound perfectly from the amp and control it from the head unit. Once I found the perfect balance I left it as is. If you're one to always be tweaking the amp, the remote only offers the volume control, you'll have to tweak it from the amp. The kenwood sub has the advantage with the remote controls because it has all the controls on it, but lacks in the wattage/power and warranty.
Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for booming bass, just something extra for the low end. Any issues with the sub being right under the front seat? Is it ever uncomfortable when rumbling?

I have some stereo equipment from my old car and I think I'll get it installed first (HU, amp, door speakers), then save up for the sub.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X SE
20 Posts
For the DVD player: is there a way to just hook it into a power outlet? I'm interested in that for my son (on long car trips, as 75Jazz mentioned :biggrin:), and probably wouldn't use it all that often. I'd prefer to just plug it in rather than mess with the wiring.

Also, I'd only want one headrest with a DVD player; do you know if they happen to offer a matching headrest that doesn't come with a DVD player? I'd hate to pay over $200 just to get a matching headrest.

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
those headrests would be a life saver on trips with the kids! Where did you get them?!

Yea they are life savers on those long trips to grandma. I purchased them at Car Headrest DVD Monitor, Headrest DVD, Car DVD Player, Headrest Monitor, Car Video They're not name brand and probably straight from china, but thats not a bad thing. They have the Sony lens and the samsung screen, plus the leather (Faux I think) feels nice. They come in black, gray and tan. They can send you a sample to show you the color before you purchase. One more thing these are universal and they come in different size screen and options like touchscreen. The poles fit perfect, but for some reason they don't have the slits to adjust the height. I don't mind though, I just let them rest on the seat anyway.

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the DVD player: is there a way to just hook it into a power outlet? I'm interested in that for my son (on long car trips, as 75Jazz mentioned :biggrin:), and probably wouldn't use it all that often. I'd prefer to just plug it in rather than mess with the wiring.

Also, I'd only want one headrest with a DVD player; do you know if they happen to offer a matching headrest that doesn't come with a DVD player? I'd hate to pay over $200 just to get a matching headrest.
Yes they do come with the cigarette lighter adapter, but I opted to go straight to the power source. Nice option to have if you want to switch between headrests. I'm not sure if they sell one with just one dvd and one without. Check out Car Headrest DVD Monitor, Headrest DVD, Car DVD Player, Headrest Monitor, Car Video. I think I did see one at ebay with two screens and one dvd player. But I think for what you would get for $225 you're better off with two, these things usually go for $700-$1000. You could always just add the single dvd player that attaches to the headrest, they sell them everywhere. I like this better though because of the custom look and the fact that I can hide them.

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the info! I'm not looking for booming bass, just something extra for the low end. Any issues with the sub being right under the front seat? Is it ever uncomfortable when rumbling?

I have some stereo equipment from my old car and I think I'll get it installed first (HU, amp, door speakers), then save up for the sub.
No problem, I'm sure you're gonna like the sub. Good luck on the rest of your system setup.

·
Registered
2009 XL
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem, I'm sure you're gonna like the sub. Good luck on the rest of your system setup.
Forgot the first part of your question. No this thing stays put and it doesn't get in the way of the seat. I have powered heated seats and I can move forward, up, and down without any problems.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X SE
20 Posts
Forgot the first part of your question. No this thing stays put and it doesn't get in the way of the seat. I have powered heated seats and I can move forward, up, and down without any problems.
I wasn't very clear in my question :icon_redface: What I meant was, is it ever uncomfortable having it under the seat, in terms of bass hitting you. I've always had subs in the trunk in the past, and am not sure what it would feel like with one right under me.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X SE
20 Posts
Yes they do come with the cigarette lighter adapter, but I opted to go straight to the power source. Nice option to have if you want to switch between headrests. I'm not sure if they sell one with just one dvd and one without. Check out <removed>. I think I did see one at ebay with two screens and one dvd player. But I think for what you would get for $225 you're better off with two, these things usually go for $700-$1000. You could always just add the single dvd player that attaches to the headrest, they sell them everywhere. I like this better though because of the custom look and the fact that I can hide them.
Thanks for all the info and the link! :biggrin: I didn't realize that the price you mentioned was for both headrests, I thought it was just for one. That is a really good deal! The one thing that concerns me is the lack of notches that you mention; I'm pretty tall and need to have the headrests up high. :icon_frown:

(I had to remove the link you posted since I don't yet have 15 posts, even though it was in a quote... :confused:)

1 - 20 of 141 Posts