Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I am about ready to commit vehicular suicide.

I dropped an engine in it last week (to the tune of $3800, with me doing labor), this week the transmission has decided to bind going around tight corners (those requiring at least 1/2 lock, such as backing out of the driveway, parking lot maneuvers, etc). ATF and front diff lube is fine. If I throw the car into neutral through the turn, there is no binding or jerking, so that makes me think it is not the diff. It's done it a couple times before, but never repetitively, so I dismissed it as some sort of fluke. It's now doing it constantly.

Who has ideas? Who has a nicely loved 5spd they'd like to trade for a @#$%^&* 4EAT? I am currently planting my forehead against the wall in a repetitive motion. :icon_cry:

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
When was the last time the ATF was changed though? Do either a flush, or a few drain/refills and that should help...I think the clutch packs are getting stuck together causing the binding...Also dump a 10 oz. bottle of Lubegard (Highly Friction Modified ATF) into the trans fluid....do a search for "torque bind", I think that is what you have...

Try putting a fuse in the FWD slot in the engine bay. If the binding goes away you have torque bind.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Do you have matching tires (all the same brand, model and size?) If so you probably need the transfer clutch checked out

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made an appointment at the stealer in Wilmington to get it checked out. I'll rebuild an engine, but auto transmissions I will not touch. Mysterious beasts.

When was the last time the ATF was changed though? Do either a flush, or a few drain/refills and that should help...I think the clutch packs are getting stuck together causing the binding...Also dump a 10 oz. bottle of Lubegard (Highly Friction Modified ATF) into the trans fluid....do a search for "torque bind", I think that is what you have...

Try putting a fuse in the FWD slot in the engine bay. If the binding goes away you have torque bind.
The ATF was changed 10k ago along with all other driveline fluids (which I change every 20k religiously. Used Subaru ATF. I'll search for the info on torque bind. The stealer will hopefully be able to figure it out. I never take the car there, but I don't know much about the 4EAT. The fluid is bright red on the dipstick like it should be, and does not smell burned.

Do you have matching tires (all the same brand, model and size?) If so you probably need the transfer clutch checked out
All tires are Bridgestone Potenza G009 with the exception of one G019 (updated version), which is shaved to match the rest of them. Tread patters are similar, depth, and size are all the same.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also... it's now jumping sporadically between 3rd and 4th gear, and the TC would not lock up today unless you were going 55+mph. Used to it would lock at about 40 in 4th.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep... plugged in the fuse, it's happy now (still being a little funny with the TC though).

So, I'll have them check out the valve body and transfer solenoid.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Hey Phil... any idea how much this repair bill should be? Don't want sticker shock when I get to the stealer tomorrow. :/

·
Registered
04 SOLD!
944 Posts
Honestly, just do a drain/refill and add the LubeGard bottle...should help it after like 50 miles...If not bring it to the dealer and have them do a flush...Don't let them change out any of the tailhousing parts until they try flushing it first...

Most of the time changing the fluid fixes it...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have them try a flush first. :smile:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Its probably the transfer duty solenoid or the MPT unit (both of which can be replaced without removing the trans). First make sure it isn't actually low on fluid as that could cause most of the issues you're having. A new MPT unit is pretty pricey, but you could probably find a used one very cheap.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fluid was fine... Car is currently sitting at Parkway Subaru in Wilmington. Awesome dealer, I am VERY, VERY pleased with them thus far. They treated me like royalty even though I'm an 18 year old kid, and tried their best to get me a loaner car, but insurance would not allow it. The service manager offered me his own personal vehicle to drive around town in while the car was getting checked out, but I declined and test drove a new 2011 Outback Limited instead. :lol:

Official diagnosis was a failed transfer duty solenoid and a failed clutch pack for gears 3 and 4 (which explains it jumping back and forth and refusing to lock up the TC). They asked about some other common wear parts, and if I'd like them replaced while it was apart, and I said sure.

Bill? $1200 with 670 of it being labor. Car will not be home until next Thursday at the earliest due to having to order parts.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Sounds about right.

You've put an AWFUL lot of money into that car...

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
^ Actually... I have not. :shrug:

My father, who decided to go the cheap route and just give me the Outback (which was destined to failure apparently) instead of buying me a gently used manual 5spd Forester, has put somewhere around $8500 into this car over the past 13 months. It will be pretty much overhauled after all of this is done. Only things left to break are the diffs and if the doors fall off.

I love the car, but seriously... he should have just sold it or traded it and put the money towards the Forester fund we had agreed upon. Mom says it's karma. lulz

I took the money ($4k) that I'd saved to cover part of a Foz (in case it was out of his acceptable price range... which appeared to be variable) and put it in the bank for college. I'm thankful for the transportation, and his being willing to put the money into it since he took the easy way out of an agreement. :smile:

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,140 Posts
Sounds about right.

You've put an AWFUL lot of money into that car...
Lets not tell him that if he took the money that wen to buying the battlewagon and all its repairs he could have a nice FXT...

Sorry Zach. Just messin with ya buddy. Sounds like a bad situation. But think of it this way, once its all done you will have a practically new car!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^Oh trust me... I'm well aware of that. :frown:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They took off the pan and pulled out a bunch of stuff after the test drive (which is an overstatement; by the time we made it down there, the car was barely driveable anyway) and there were little pieces of black stuff everywhere. There was some little gear missing teeth, and some other things that just didn't look good at all, so I said 'sure' and just went with their diagnosis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts