Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forester XS MT
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just a characteristic of this car, but when I'm cruising in a particular gear at say around 2,500-3,000 rpms and I let off the gas, the car bucks/jerks a little. What is that caused from and is that normal? My friend who was in my car recently noticed it and thought it wasn't.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,021 Posts
Depending on the gear you are in, the speed, etc maybe its normal. If you drop down a gear and the reve are too low for the gear it will buck/jerk. I don't think anyone here can give you a positive answer. I assume you have not put a lot of miles/years on a manual tranny.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
My 04 XS 5 speed always did that, and was like that from day 1, over 10 yrs ago.

Characteristic to a Subaru manual Trans

·
Registered
03 Forester XS MT
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ thanks, that's what I was thinking. I've driven manuals the last 14 years.

·
Registered
2007 SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Its the rear diff mount bushing. I hate it so much that it drive me crazy until I fill it with something. I filled mine with Polyurethane and its much better although I would prefer it to be a bit firmer. I use hot glue before and the durometer are better fit for it unfortunately it would not stay in place for long and would need to be redone from now and then.

I use 3M windshield sealant that are only 50-60 durometer. Need something in 80 durometer range. Maybe need to use 2 part epoxy next time.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/drivetrain-lurch-back-forth-123364/

Proflex makes replacement bushing but its pretty labor intentive to install since you have to pull the subframe and diff off.

·
Registered
2005 Forester X Auto
317 Posts
It happens in a lot of Subaru's for instance my old 2000 2.5RS manual never did it, but my current rig 05X and my dad's 09 Fozzy both do it. I usually get it if I release off the gas when making a turn through an intersection, a slight jump or jerk will be felt. I had never heard of replacing the bushings but if you go that route share your results.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I wasn't referring to a JERK as you others describe, but almost a looseness in the drivetrain when cruising above 55 and letting off the gas, then getting on it again.

A lot was written a few years back about using the cruise control with a 5 speed, and the off and on you would feel under light acceleration like going down a slight grade.

I never experienced what you guys have described above in any of my 7 Subaru 5 speeds.

·
Registered
2007 SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
When I fill my bushing with polyurethane it makes such a huge difference. The clutch take off are a lot more consistent and power transfer are a lot smoother. The oscillation when you get on off throttle are almost completely gone. Even gear changes are a lot smoother.

If you look at the bushing it have a lot of voids and made from really soft rubber. When you jack the rear diff you could see how much the diff moved.

Dollar per dollar this is one of the best bang for your buck for MT Subaru Look on ebay for 3M fast cure windshield sealant. I got mine for around $10 shipped. This is real easy to do using caulking gun. You should fill all the void in transmission mount too since you would have a lot of leftover.

·
Registered
1989 Turbo II 5spd TII
62 Posts
My bug eye always did the same...cruise for a couple of miles at a steady speed, go to increase speed lightly and for that specific moment it, its like it died but then immediately go and act as if nothing happen. ECU never picked anything up so we left it the way it was. We owned it for 5 years like this. bought it with 49k miles and sold it at 156k miles. It has over 200k miles on it now and still doing it... :\

1 - 9 of 9 Posts