Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everyone,

I'm new to the Subaru and 4x4 scene.

I need some advice on what to go for - Jeep vs. Forester.

I used to be a Ford man - driving a 312bhp/470nm (346 foot-pound) Ford Sierra Cosworth rwd from 1989. Sold it a couple of years ago.

For some time I have been contemplating buying a 4x4 as I like these big cars luxurious. I live in the country so 4x4 would also be nice to have in the winter time.

By chance I got to drive a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4.7 at my local mechanic. He bought the Jeep for himself, but of course it was for sale if I wanted to buy.

Cosmetically the Jeep did not look very good but it drove great and I loved the sound of an American V8 :)

Driving the Jeep lit a spark so this weekend I went out to try this one at a dealer nearby.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4,7HO Overland 2003 aut.
To see pics goto "bratting.dk" > click "Erhverv" > click "Jeep Grand Cherokee 4,7 Overland aut.".

It drives better than the one from 1999 and overall is in better condition.

At the dealer there was also another 4x4 for sale so I had to try that one as well – to compare.

Subaru Forester 2.5 XT AWD 2006
To see pics goto "bratting.dk" > click "Erhverv" > click "Subaru Forester 2,5 XT AWD Van".

I must say it is two VERY different cars. But I like them both for what they are. So the big question is: Which one is the better all-round car in daily driving. I'll be doing mostly on-road driving, but I would like the car also to have fair off-road capabilities.

I was very impressed with the performance of the Forester – also coming from the modding scene of my Ford Sierra Cosworth I also love this is possible with the Forester.

As this a Forester forum I'm guessing the votes will go for the Forester :) – but still, I would like to hear the good and not so good about the Forester – and perhaps someone in here also have hands-on experience with the Jeep.

BR Søren
Denmark

Ps. Sorry for not posting direct links, but I'm not allowed to as a new user.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,255 Posts
Jeeps of that vintage have frequent transmission problems. I'd stay away.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
64 Posts
We had a US spec jeep with the same motor. Depending on the price of gas and how much you drive it is worth noting that the Jeep will get about 13-15 MPG in town. The subaru should beat that by at least 5 or so MPG.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
The Forester is the better choice for what you describe as your driving. Also, the Jeep will not be as reliable mechanically as the Forester. I know people who have Jeeps and they have complained about the need for frequent repairs.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,829 Posts
The Forester is the better choice for what you describe as your driving. Also, the Jeep will not be as reliable mechanically as the Forester. I know people who have Jeeps and they have complained about the need for frequent repairs.
Agreed. Consumer Reports, which rates the reliability of vehicles based on owner's surveys, generally puts Jeep Grand Cherokees on the "do not buy" list because of all the potential problems. The more power equipment on the Jeep, the more problems you will have, especially with an 11 year old vehicle. I cannot imagine that parts/service will be that easy to find in your country. And, I'm guessing you pay a lot for gasoline. If so, avoid the Jeep.

That said, when I was looking for vehicles a few years ago, I did drive a Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8 and it was quite nice and had *that* engine sound. But the price you pay in maintenance and gas is high. Also, the Jeep has two solid axles, which really are cumbersome in road handling (but are great for off road).

I live in the Detroit area, and they build the Grand Cherokees about 6 miles from my house, so I wish I liked them more...

George

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mechanical problems aside, you're really comparing apples to oranges, two completely different beasts.

If you want serious offroading capability, the Jeep is unmatched by the Forester. The Jeep's big V-8 also makes it better for heavy duty stuff, like towing large trailers. It also might have a little more cargo room, but don't really know about that. You also get the visual "Really mean/intense offroader" image too, if you're into that.

Everything else is probably much better in the Forester:
Daily Commutes
City Driving
Highway Driving
Winter driving (Subaru's drivetrain is unparalleled by ANY other out there for handling and control in ice and snow).
Fuel Economy (Big $$$)!
Ride Quality
Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
And the Forester is a pretty decent light to medium offroader too, better than most CUV's (Crossovers).

If it were me, I'd stay away from the Jeep, but that's just me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, for your replys.

Reliability and total cost of ownership is a huge deal to me. I'm not a big DIY mechanic. So if something breaks it’s off to my local shop.
MPG is also a big deal as the gas prices in Denmark only going up. Currently $6 pr. gallon.

From your posts the Forester seems as the better choice for my type of usage/drivings needs.

Thank you again for your input. :) - and of course any other inputs are welcome.

BR Søren

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Welcome from the Netherlands :cool:

Maybe useful to post your question here, at the European part of the forum.
Too late, he's in the clutches of the evil Yankees now and we shall never let him go, muhahahahahaha.

Seriously, If you lived in the U.S. it might be another story but over there, you would probably be better off in the long run with the Forester as far as repairs and such because although I can get a Jeep or Jeep parts pretty darned cheap here, I don't know their availability and price over there vs that of the Foresters.

That being said, the V8 certainly has an allure but is it worth the worse mileage and lackluster performance vs the Forester XT, I think not and as far as the AWD aspect of the Jeep, I doubt you will miss it unless you do serious off-roading and require the granny gears so all in all, it looks like the Foz XT for the win.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Arcade, Georgia, USA!
I guess I am one of the very few former Grand Cherokee owners to currently own a Forester so I'll give you my impression.
My old Jeep was a 2004 Laredo package with the "Selec-Trac" four wheel drive system. It allowed you to run in full time 4x4 mode on or off road as well as two wheel drive. I bought it new and it was a wonderful vehicle. I have owned several previous Grand Cherokees and it was by far the best one I have owned. Jeeps need maintenance. They are not immune to repairs or routine services. Of all Jeeps my family have owned (several with over 150K miles) none have EVER needed a transmission. This was probably due to routine maintenance and service. The Jeeps ride well on the open highway and are comfortable on long trips.
The downside is they have horrid gas mileage. Even in two wheel drive mode and running the posted speed limit I only averaged about 18-19 miles per gallon. None of my Jeeps made me smile if I drove them in the mountains on curvy roads.
I traded my Grand Cherokee on a new 2009 Forester XT Turbo when the new SH body came out. Even with the turbo and the higher octane requirement it beat out my Jeep for gas mileage and cost to drive. Taking a spin in the North georgia mountains is a pleasure and fun as heck because of the way my Forester takes the curvy roads. I have also taken my forester camping in the same places as my Jeep and have had no issues off road for that purpose.
I did take my Jeep for some serious off roading a few times-very few times-not enough times to justify owning a dedicated 4x4 beast.
That being said, I love my Forester and I have no regrets about my old Jeeps either.
You just need to decide which one will fit your lifestyle best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice to hear, from one who has owned both vehicles.

Perhaps someone can comment on the attached pictures. It's of the Forester I have been out in for a test drive.

Is it some kind of "special edition" with the Subaru Forester logo stickers is has one the side and the gray plastic "plates" over the wheel arches.

It has 34,175 miles on the clock.

Thanks.

BR Søren

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts