Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it more of a cool-ness factor, or is it a i cant have it so i want it deal?

also in other countires is it "cool" to use USDM parts? or im i just crazy and off my rocker?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
also in other countires is it "cool" to use USDM parts? or im i just crazy and off my rocker?
I was just going to say the second part:biggrin: This may be an interesting post in the Asia forum to get their feedback. But what would we have that they don't already have or have had in some model or another?

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Guy 1: "Hey dude, I just got this aftermarket spoiler for my Fozzie."
Guy 2: "That's... nice.. I just got a JDM one for mine!"
Guy 1: "Oh my god.. That's so much cooler than mine!!! Wow!"
Guy 2: "Yeah and it cost like.. twice as much as yours but I can say I have JDM and people will treat me like a god!"
Guy 1: "Yess master..." *gets on hands and knees and kisses Guy 2's feet*

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guy 2: "Yeah and it cost like.. twice as much as yours but I can say I have JDM and people will treat me like a god!"
ahahahahaha, and the sad thing is some times its the same

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just going to say the second part:biggrin: This may be an interesting post in the Asia forum to get their feedback. But what would we have that they don't already have or have had in some model or another?
my mommy did say i was special............:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Okay honestly... There isn't even USDM. It's like.. Hmm, can I buy this halfway awesome sports bumper for my car and have it shipped over here. Or should I buy this actually useful and appearance-changing JDM bumper for less. -Japanese Person

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I think it starts out as the fact that they have a lot of parts that are awesome but not brought over to the US. However I feel most end up getting into a pissing contest about who has the most "tyte jdm ride yo", similar to the audivdub kids with their hellaflush BS and euro market parts and the whole euro front plate fad.

I think with the forester its especially because the JDM market got the FSTI model, which is basically the goal of most FXT owners, but subaru just keeps laughing in our faces.

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
^ Im pretty sure that just about sums it up. Judging by how many people on here wanna get their fozzie to be a performance car, and by the fact that I personally want an sti swap done for myself, you're right about us wanting FSTIs : D

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
For me, I seek JDM-OEM parts for one simple reason - they're so much nicer, and there's so much more of it, than what we're given here, Stateside.

Look at the SH-Forester OEM accessories catalog, comparing it between that little brochure we're given at the dealership with the extensive list that's available to our Far Eastern brothers, and who wouldn't be envious?

The same goes for my BL-Legacy.

Yes, some of the components are rather outlandish by typical Stateside Subaru-enthusiast standards: the BL/BP-Legacy STi-Genome rims and exhaust canisters, for example, definitely strikes controversy with their distinctly Japanese-aftermarket aesthetic, even within our limited and focused enthusiast-community. So, no, not all parts speak to me.

But at the same time, look at the USDM rain-visor for the BL/BP, and compare that to the JDM.

The difference is night-and-day in terms of the aesthetics - and functionally, they both work just as well.

Certainly, within the tuner community, there's that "OMG, that's mad-tyte-JDM, yo" sentiment, but I think that for many of us, it's truly because we see these aesthetic and functional enhancements, and we're left wanting.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
JDM>USDM? 99.9% overpriced nonfunctional bling. There's so many performance parts available here why would anyone overpay for JDM crap?

USDM>JDM? All they want from here is our muscle cars, Harleys and white women...

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
Amusing but, I am not sure if that is the case. If you ask me it is a question of: Do I buy this aftermarket part that may or may not fit (and be gaudy) or do I get this part manufactured by an OEM supplier and is guaranteed to fit because it was engineered for that specific application?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts