Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Forester stb 5 speed manual
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is going to be my collection of all past, present, and future work on my forester. The car was $6400 and had 79000kms. I brought the car over from Japan in the spring of 2016. The importation went smoothly, had all the needed work done to pass inspection and made its maiden voyage 3 hours north from Calgary to Edmonton. I was a little impatient with picking the car, I originally wanted a Miata but the Forester fell into my lap. I would've preferred a wrx simply for the design but camping practicality and the fact that most of them were in way worse shape than the foresters steered me in the SF5s direction. My first upgrade was a set of slotted brake disks that were on sale. I then set the car up with some hella supertones. I found a guy on the local classified wanting to ditch his full 3" Fujitsubo exhaust for $150 so I snatched it up. I found some factory cross bars for the roof and bought a Curt basket off of Amazon. In December 2016 I had new front axels installed. In April of 2017 my car started to make very odd jolts and power losses. I took it into the shop and they diagnosed it was the MAF sensor, fixed the soldering on the circuit board and I was back on the road. I just had the clutch replaced at 95000kms with an Exedy factory part along with finally installing the exhaust system. The shop welded in a bung to prevent and codes from being thrown as a result of the catless system. For winter tires and rims I have a set of white Braids winrace and some Westlake winters that came on the rims. I am planning on replacing the tires with a set of general grabbers. Got an ebay JDM license plate for around $10 if I can remember correctly, this hides the marks left by the real plate there when the car was in Japan. A Glowshift 30PSI boost gauge was installed by my friend and I, it a little ricey but I found it cheap on ebay and I wanted to monitor boost on the highway. I already have spacers, extended lug studs and open nuts waiting to get the grabbers before I install, really excited about this. Hella 500s, pics and more to come! I will try to take more pictures during installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the 3" turbo-back exhaust I had installed when I had my clutch replaced. Fujitsubo, has a nice rumble but not too loud. Its catless but I still have the catted up-pipe which Ill have to get around to removing for the turbos sake. The car is breathing better. There is also a bung welded into the pipe for the O2 sensor to prevent any CELs.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was just messing around on the local classifieds today and luckily came across someone's wife cleaning out the garage. I got 4 Hella 700FF and the light bar for $50. Wiring is all included. I will hopefully get around to installing two of them on the August long weekend. Might sell the bar and the other two lights, haven't decided yet. Including some pics I took today while I was out fishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update! Got around to installing the lights with the help of my buddy. I followed the old pictures that were sadly lost from WRDrew, only instead of a notch I cut a slim hole in my grille for the steel bracket to poke through. Here is some pics to help explain. All of the pictures are of test fitting, things got filed and look a lot cleaner now. lights are great BTW!

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 JDM Forester S/TB 5 Speed
37 Posts
This is the 3" turbo-back exhaust I had installed when I had my clutch replaced. Fujitsubo, has a nice rumble but not too loud. Its catless but I still have the catted up-pipe which Ill have to get around to removing for the turbos sake. The car is breathing better. There is also a bung welded into the pipe for the O2 sensor to prevent any CELs.
Can you take some pictures of the down pipe?, looking to get a catless one for mine.
Ordered a usdm one but it didn't work

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Rob! I am still using the stock down pipe as well. That sucks that the USDM didn't fit... Your car looks like it has the ej205, I would assume a GD part would fit.

·
Registered
2001 JDM Forester S/TB 5 Speed
37 Posts
Yes it has the EJ205, but the steering shaft is in the way so the USDM one will not fit as the JDM looks to almost block off half of the exhaust exit for the turbo to make room for it, but I'm sure some hammering of the downpipe would make it work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Believe it or not I have actually heard of people doing that before, not sure if they were in the same position as you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went home for Thanksgiving this past weekend and scored a set of UR rally armor mud flaps for only $125. They were on a car for only three months so they were close to new, I couldn't bother paying $270 that they retail for so I've been lurking on local classifieds forever. Pulled the car out of the garage on got them installed and they look pretty good. Didn't want to take any pictures because my car is currently filthy but I'll be back at home in November so I should be able to get it cleaned up and get some up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going home this weekend for my Grandmas Birthday. Found a nice set of Enkei RS6 wheels for $250 I'm going to pick up along the way. They're 16" and have duel bolt patterns so I'm planning on using them on the Rav4 but will fit the forester if need be. Got charged $200 to have my tires swapped over so hopefully this will save me money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Home for my fall reading week. Our local pick n' pull happened to burn down as soon as I came home so my plans of going there and looking for some goodies were ruined. I tried another wreckers across town, along with being farther its a lot less organized and has parts from cars everywhere mixed in with the salvage cars. The cars were gone through very thoroughly, and all the Subaru stuff I could've wanted had already been taken... Or so I thought. There was a 1995 wrx there which would've given me a great turbo upgrade but man was that thing not coming off with just a set of ratchets. I found a USDM forester in hopes of taking the rear speakers and transplanting them into my car, someone maybe even with a jdm beat me to it. And then I noticed the arm rest extension! I got it for $8 and even managed to break the top latch which I gather is common problem when it comes to these things. I'm going to try and use strong magnets to fix it. On another topic I'm trying to find a way to fill these holes created by the rally armors. Can anyone give me a tip? I was thinking about butchering my factory flaps but there has got to be another way. As always, here are the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Made a trip to the wreckers a few days ago. They have temporary buildings for the time being after the fire. There was a fully loaded '01 there I was able to get the full sized spare out of. It had tan leather heated seats but I don't want anything with possible smells, even if it didn't then who knows. I also finally got rear speakers so my car doesn't sound so cheap. The wiring is already there but there is nowhere for the screws to seat so next time I go Ill get some plastic nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haven't had an update in some time. I have been driving the car since the end of the school year in April. My moms new place where it was stored doesn't have a garage so that blows. The Rav4 is taking some time off while I cruise in the Sube.

Not really anymore work done to the car other that replacing the A/C belt that I paid a shop to do last year but I guess they forgot and gave me my car back with a frayed belt...
More infuriating, while I was doing that I noticed something else I paid another shop to fix which never got done. I paid a now out of business shop to replace CV boots on the front two axels. The shop told me to just do the whole axel at a significantly higher cost. I didn't bother to check the work after I got my car back until now and was welcomed to the sight of definitely more than 2 year old CV shafts. Bummer, you live and you learn. I held onto the receipts from everything but I don't think there is anything I can do. Apart from that the car is still going good.

I also finally changed a cracked fog light from a bad parking job, only took 3 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A buddies little brother found a good deal of some old STI seats. He said they were in ok shape so I told him to pull the trigger and I would etransfer him. I didn't notice at the time that the guy had pulled a picture off of google and used them in his ad until after. They are definitely better than most but the owner wanted to put them in his Audi and decided to essentially remove the embroidered STI badging. I think I get something iron on eventually and make it look a bit nicer. I think the seats might be out of a coupe, they have a lever on the back of them to make them tilt forward like my old 2door Honda.

Also decided since my stock seats were out I would go the junk year and get everything I needed to turn them into heated seats, because none of the JDM foresters came with them. I put the heating elements in no problem. I have to get some zip ties to properly fasten down the upholstery. I put the heated seat switch in but haven't connected it yet. I have read that all the foresters have the wiring already in them but from my quick looks I haven't seen it so maybe there will be another trip to the junk yard in the future to get all the odds and ends. I hope there's a wiring guide on here somewhere.

I cant help myself when I'm at the wreckers buying more than I went there for. I found another console extender, this time tan. The last few I bought I was able to make a couple bucks off of a buy and sell.

20191012_094132.jpg

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts