Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted an add on unit to let me know range, mpg etc as i drive a few miles and would like to really know how far I have left before I run out of fuel.

A mate of mine does auto electric fitting.

He found a neat little unit that works off the ECU.

He asked if it was compatible with my unit and was assured it does.

It’s a scan gauge unit sgiiffp model from USA.

He can’t get it to talk to the Cross Sports. He plugged into his VW and it started straight away no problem.

He has got in touch with their technical help desk.

Is it-a JDM Forester?

Yep I asked if it was compatible and you said it was.

We have had problems with Japanese spec vehicles!

So, anyone know of a unit I can use with the Cross Sports that gives mpg, range,fuel left in tank e5c info?

Cheers.

Alan

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,794 Posts
Alan,
JDM vehicles have their own sub-set of OBDII called JOBD (European DMs equiv EOBD) and so code readers and scan type gauges don't connect properly. There are now a few code readers on the market that now list JOBD as an option but haven't seen any scan guage type display units. No doubt they are available in Japan but probably not of any use to you.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,544 Posts
For what it's worth my scangauge II works in my 2008 JDM Impreza.
The readings that work from memory are ignition advance, air intake temp, water temp, battery voltage. I don't remember if consumption figures work, I'll check and let you know.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,794 Posts
Not sure how the USA version differs (if any) from the UK available version

I would think the simplest way to find out would be if could can get hold of an OBDII/ EOBD scanner and see it that works?

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Consumption figures work, not sure how accurate they are though as i need to change the units and have not bothered.

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers as usual Don top stuff! And fpan.

It’s a information dash display unit I’m after mpg, how many miles left in the tank.

Scan gauge seemed to be the one.

Cheers

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Consumption figures work, not sure how accurate they are though as i need to change the units and have not bothered.
Hi, what settings did you use. I have the scan gauge 2 also ?

Regards.

Alan

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Hi, what settings did you use. I have the scan gauge 2 also ?

Regards.

Alan
I can't remember. I had it setup for my Abarth 500 a few years ago (i had to try a few different options before i found one that works) and i just transferred it to the Impreza without making any changes.
I will check once the car is back with me (being undersealed at the moment) and let you know.
Could also be that the crossports uses different protocol to the 08 hatch? :(

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
By the way it doesn't give you range as far as i remember. I have found resetting the trip odo counter when filling to the brim helps me have an idea how many miles i can do with a tank though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts