Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 JDM XT 5 SPD
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's little confused here, need some help. I've got 2 JDM Forester, one is a 97 STB and the other is a 2003 2.0 XT.

I've notice minor visable differences under the hood, basically around the inter-coolers. from what I've managed to find out (by asking around) they are both the same engine EJ20. But supposedly one is a GC8 and the other a GDB????
Can someone clarify this for me please. As I want to buy parts, but don't know which WRX model is the same to order engine parts and chassis parts!

Thanks

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
The 97 uses the same engine as a 97 WRX wagon (classic shape Impreza - GC8), I understand that the 2003 JDM uses the Forester specific engine the same as EU/Oz cars and not the new shape (GD8) Impreza.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
The 97 uses the same engine as a 97 WRX wagon (classic shape Impreza - GC8), I understand that the 2003 JDM uses the Forester specific engine the same as EU/Oz cars and not the new shape (GD8) Impreza.
Model code for classic impreza wagon is GF8

Not sure where you are getting your other info from Simon but a JDM 2003 2.0XT puts out 220ps so similar to the GDA impreza or GGA impreza wagon.......... not the 177bhp of a euro 2.0XT

·
Registered
2003 JDM XT 5 SPD
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback people. Yes as far as I know the '03 JDM XT is 220 BHP, but my mechanic had told me regarding the engine parts to look for GDB. He has gone on to tell me that Europe didn't get our versions of Forester. ***** trying to order things for it, as I'm not sure and don't have money to waste on mistakes!

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,915 Posts
Thanks for the feedback people. Yes as far as I know the '03 JDM XT is 220 BHP, but my mechanic had told me regarding the engine parts to look for GDB. He has gone on to tell me that Europe didn't get our versions of Forester. ***** trying to order things for it, as I'm not sure and don't have money to waste on mistakes!
Enginer info was for the Rookies benefit :biggrin:

GDB is code for STi version WRX............... whereas the JDM Forester XT has a WRX engine.

The main difference between the JDM and European Foresters is the cams (softer) and AVCS (which came to Europe for MY04) and of course ECU and Exhaust.
Most other things on the 2.0L engine and rest of the car are the same.................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts