Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring CVT
Aren't JD power awards commonly known to be laughable BS?
Its laughable to the car media circles, but manufacturers actually use them to determine what customers like or not like with their vehicles and make changes as necessary. I can see why Hyundai, and Genesis are on top of the list. I have nothing but good things to say about my past vehicles with them. What is interesting is that Subaru was the first car manufacturer that used JD Power in their commercials and since then every manufacturer has also. What really is surprising is that Subaru is tied with Chrysler and so low on the list, when it was 2nd at the top right after Mercedes in 2017. Such a big drop in 2 years is strange.

TS out (taking surveys)

Registered
2017 Forester
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny how some folks cry foul if it鈥檚 a survey that reflects negatively on the car they just bought but praise surveys that are positive. Just human nature.

If you read article carefully, the survey is an Initial Quality Study (IQS) and only reflects the first 90 days of ownership.... not longer term reliability and satisfaction.

Personally, not sure the value of measuring first 90 days but I guess for some prospective new car purchasers,
it can be an indicator of future reliability and might used in their decionmaking process.

Registered
2019 Forester Touring
Funny how some folks cry foul if it鈥檚 a survey that reflects negatively on the car they just bought but praise surveys that are positive. Just human nature.

If you read article carefully, the survey is an Initial Quality Study (IQS) and only reflects the first 90 days of ownership.... not longer term reliability and satisfaction.

Personally, not sure the value of measuring first 90 days but I guess for some prospective new car purchasers,
it can be an indicator of future reliability and might used in their decionmaking process.
Since manufacturers update their vehicles annually, they want some form of evaluation they can use to promote their vehicles in a relatively short time. A glowing evaluation on a 2016 model, as an example, will have, at best, a limited impact on new sales of the same model in 2020. That鈥檚 one reason for picking a 90 day time period.

Where I personally see the importance of the initial quality study is in vehicle design and implementation. If one learns to hate the infotainment system during the first few months of ownership, he probably isn鈥檛 gonna change his mind 2-3 years into ownership. The same goes for how the drive train operates, and how well the vehicle performs...

By the time 90 days have passed, most owners will know what they like, and possibly more significantly, what they don鈥檛 like about their new vehicle. How any particular vehicle holds up for the first 90 days isn鈥檛 much of a predictor of how well it will still be running after 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
A while ago, I came across a comment by someone who worked at JD Power. It was a pretty long comment with detail explanation but the take-home message was, the survey is designed in such a way that whoever is paying them for the survey comes on the top. At that time, it was Chevy, don't know who is at the moment. That individual had some integrity left, so he quit working for them.

I don't see any incentive for him to lie about it. Read a few things on the same line on some other auto websites. Since then, I just stopped paying attention.

Registered
2019 Forester
Not being the expert but that never stopped me.
I would think that 90 initial quality reflects care in manufacturing and inspection post process. Long term reliability would mean design of parts and overall design of vehicle and how it holds up to roads and wear and tare.

Registered
2017 Forester
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MoneyJohn,

Most manufacturers pay for the survey.. not just a few. Your explanation makes it sound like Chevrolet was only one so they automatically win.

That said, I don鈥檛 disagree that JDP is pretty much irrelevant.

Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
These days, I think, to many buyers not being able to easily pair their phones is seen as a serious defect on the same level as a blown gasket or something. And Subaru's cabin electronics have been an issue for a long time.

I believe JD Powers gives as much weight to comfort and convenience issues as they do to mechanical ones, and with most cars today mechanical issues aren't likely to crop up in the first three months. So an "initial quality survey" is probably a comparison of infotainment systems plus seat comfort, climate control, etc.

By contrast, Consumer Reports gives more weight to mechanical and safety issues when crunching the numbers from their annual surveys. That's why Subaru does better in CR's reliability ratings than in Powers IQ ratings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.