Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the help of 2 friends we managed to get this far this afternoon afterschool on the DIY Grill. Using Aaron's scoobymods page as a brief guide.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5502

Used duct tape as a backing for some of the spots that needed filling. Bought a can of Bondo equivalent from the local autoparts store. Got the $1.50 rain gutter mesh from Home depot. Going to use the leftover spray paint and primer from my version 1 grill.

Can you guys give me some spray paint tips, I wanna do it right this time. Expect a follow up tomarrow

Peace

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Is the hinged gutter guard wide enough to fill the gap? That's the same stuff I made an intercooler screen out of for the WRX and it was barely wide enough for that!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first i thought it wasnt going to fit so i bought two. But when its flattened out it has a perfect fit. Ill be using ties tomarrow to secure it.

Just want to add...
This mod takes sooooo long. Its been 2 days afterschool and tomarrow should be the last day of working on it

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Looking good. Be sure to give it a multiple light coats of paint, vs. one heavy coat. You will minimze the chance for runs. I would spary it with primer first that will show you any flaws you want to fix before you go with the color coat.

Are you going to sand it down from the picture shown?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, did some major sanding today, sprayed primer once we did a final sanding with 1000grit. Ran out of black gloss spray paint so theres just a really light 1st coat of blakc on top of the primer as of now.

I can see some slight imperfections on the bondo areas...looks like we could have done even more sanding ...oh well

AHhhhh. photobucket just went into maintance....and i just finished resizing them with photoshop and uploaded them ROFL

Edit: its baack up

Oh ya, those alcoholical beverages were not used by us under 21'ers :wink: . Got them out of the recycle bin. Used them to hold up different grill parts while spraying them

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,306 Posts
AaronB said:
Looking good. Be sure to give it a multiple light coats of paint, vs. one heavy coat. You will minimze the chance for runs. I would spary it with primer first that will show you any flaws you want to fix before you go with the color coat.

Are you going to sand it down from the picture shown?
aaron, do you happen to have any "F" emblems left? I just got finished cutting/dremeling/sanding my grill and I want to add the F once the mesh is on.

if you have one available, PM me a price!

·
Premium Member
97 s/tb
983 Posts

Is your friend break dancing??
He looks like he about to throw down some mad moves

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
Palatine said:

Is your friend break dancing??
He looks like he about to throw down some mad moves
:lol: :lol:

jbleee- I look forward to seeing the finished product.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Re: jbleee $10 Grill mod in progress

Greetings jbleee

What did you use to cut out the middle section of the grille?
Was the mesh expensive from Home Depot?

Thanks

jbleee said:
With the help of 2 friends we managed to get this far this afternoon afterschool on the DIY Grill. Using Aaron's scoobymods page as a brief guide.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5502

Used duct tape as a backing for some of the spots that needed filling. Bought a can of Bondo equivalent from the local autoparts store. Got the $1.50 rain gutter mesh from Home depot. Going to use the leftover spray paint and primer from my version 1 grill.

Can you guys give me some spray paint tips, I wanna do it right this time. Expect a follow up tomarrow

Peace

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cut the middle section out by hand using a small little hacksaw

Home depot mesh was ~$1.50

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The grill is complete and i just got back from skiing.

Too bad all the rocks and crap 0wned the grill mesh. Maybe ill have to invest in a pre-painted mesh. Spray paint job also went bad probably because i was spraying when it was too cold outside. Kinda re sanded it and tried to respray.
The pics make it look better than IRL

I might put some badge on it, i might also down the road re paint it a flat black instead of this glossy finish black

Used ties to attach the mesh

Flash

No flash

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahahaha, Thanks a lot...
Im just sad because i stepped in Dog $hi7 and brought it onto my rubber floor mats, and there are rocks stuck in the grill from going up to hte mountain today. Lots of black paint chips on the mesh

:x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts