Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between a Japanese domestic automatic trans and one sent to the US? The vin on my 98 Forester says it was built in Japan.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
All of the Foresters were built in Japan. There are some differences between the older STI autos and ours, but I can't remember. Hopefully Silke will chime in, she had one kicking around for a while. Just for clarification your is a USDM and not an import right?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
Is there any difference between a Japanese domestic automatic trans and one sent to the US? The vin on my 98 Forester says it was built in Japan.
Depends on the year and model. I had a JDM 4EAT trans from an early Forester STi. The gear ratios were the same as my 04 XT, but the final drive was different.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of the Foresters were built in Japan. There are some differences between the older STI autos and ours, but I can't remember. Hopefully Silke will chime in, she had one kicking around for a while. Just for clarification your is a USDM and not an import right?
How do I tell if it's USDM or import?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would just about guarantee that it is USDM, what would make you think otherwise? Why would you import a car that you could buy here?:shrug:

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I agree. Now back to my original question. I found a JDM transmission that was removed from a running car in Japan. It looks identical to mine. Does anyone know any reason why it wouldn't fit? Thanks, Keith

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
It may have a different final drive ratio, in which case you'd need to match it with the proper rear differential.

Also, the one I had turned out not to fit in either our 04 or our 98, I think it was because of the number of studs where it connects to the engine? However, it would fit just fine in a friend's 01 whose tranny had gone out, so we wound up donating it to her.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
I can't say with regard to Subaru but on the Nissans they sometimes switched valve bodies in otherwise identical transmissions and likely programmed the ECU to work with a given one.

We found this out when putting in shift kits for performance purposes and it was quite surprising after getting it done that the truck would only get up to about 25 MPH, lol.

The ECU was not in "limp mode" to protect the vehicle either, the valve body or solenoids just required a different set of parameters from the computer and the fluid channeling was in fact physically different than the other one so buyer beware, good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the response. Is the Impreza trans the same or would the gear ratio be different? Thanks, Keith

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
The same as what? And what year and model Impreza trans? Your question is a little vague.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester XT
3 Posts
I have a JDM 4EAT Forester (SG5) and need a replacement valve body.

Will the USDM valve body fit the JDM tranny?

If so...it would be so much cheaper for me to purchase from the US.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts