Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I though I would make my own Member Journal. :biggrin: I have already done a few mods, so I will try to list them all for now; then get Pictures, links and more information up later. I was upgrading from a loaded 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0L, which I had the dealer order in the VERY FIRST 2.0L engine Protege in BC specially for me in Jan of 2001. I thought, now that I am married and thinking of starting a Family and having house maintenance, I needed something bigger, and something that can Tow with.

After shopping around at New and Used SUV's for months, I bought my Evergreen Metallic, 2007 Forester 2.5X EAT Special Edition on December 12, 2007 from the Dealer. It was an Off Lease, with 13,000Km (~8,000miles) but I got about $5,000 off, 0.9% Financing for 5 years and FULL warranty.

Here is a Picture of the Old Protege and the New Forester.

My Mods that I bought and/or made (not in order). I did all them myself, except the Alarm, Hitch and Window Tint

Engine
DIY Grounding Kit
Group A Throttle Body Spacer
Grimmspeed Intake Manifold Spacer
Subtle Solutions Engine Dressup bolts
OEM Intake Manifold painted Red
Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Sender
Transmission Cooler (Class II)
K&N High Flow Air Filter
Spray Painted the Hood Fire Blanket Black
120 Amp 12 Aux Power Relay

Interior
Alarm: 2 Way Paging (1500ft range), Passive Immobilizer with Shock sensor
OEM Sunroof Dog Gate (with Mod'ed permanent quick Release)
OEM Cargo Cover
OEM Cargo Mat
OEM Rear Cargo Net
OEM All Weather Mat Set
Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer Brake Controller (with my own Custom Made Mount)
40 Amp Aux Circuit Breaker (to Power the Trailer AUX 12V)
30 Amp Aux Circuit Breaker (to Power the Electric Brakes)
20 Amp Aux Circuit Breaker (for Accessory power in the Cabin eg. Temp Gauge, GPS, ScanGauge)
Under Dash 12 Vdc Triple outlet
300 Watt Inverter with 2 outlets (DC to AC)
Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge and Pod
Automatic A/C control Linkage removal
Garmin NUVI 360 Hard wired Install
ScanGauge II Hard wired Install
OEM Tweeter Kit
LED Map/Dome/Hatch Interior Lights
Map Light Brightener Mod (Lens Shade Removal)
Map Lights Door Mod with an override Micro Rocker Switch (here is info on this VERY TINY switch)
Sony BT stereo (MEX-BT3700U) with the mod'ed Garmin Mic for Handsfree Calling
Seat Belt Chime disable Mod

Exterior
Trailer Hitch (Canadian OEM, aka Drawtite, which the Dealer throw in for free)
Tinted Rear and Hatch Windows (I had the Dealer throw this in for free too)
4 Pin Trailer (Converter) Harness
4 and 7 Pin Trailer Harness adapter Custom Mounted
Front Fender Tow Mirror
Door Mount Tow Mirror
Modified the front Grill
Debadged the Dealer Sticker
Added Decals “Subaruforester.com” and Canadian Flag
2” Hitch Ball
3/4” and 2” rise Ball-mount
Receiver and Coupling Lock Set
OEM Cross Bar Set
OEM Rear Bumper Guard
OEM Rear Wind Deflector
OEM Moon Roof wind Deflector
Mod'ed the Moon Roof Deflector (cut it down)
OEM Hood Bug/Rock Deflector
JDM Side Window Wind Deflector (the Driver side is broken Now :()
LED Eyebrow Lights
LED Top Mount Stop Light
General Altimax Arctic Winter Tires (Mounted on OEM 16” Enkei Alloy Rims)
Light weight 16” Alloy Enkei Racing RS+M rims (14 lbs each)
Painted Front OEM Brake Calipers and Brackets Red

Other Accessories
Mobicool 12V Hot/Cold Cooler, 24L
Thule “Mountaineer” Car Top Box
2003 Colman (Fleetwood) Santa Fe (Tent Trailer)
Stealth H3 Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Snow Chains Thule SC10

I haven't done much modding lately, on account that I have been laid off for some time now...

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a Mod but I thought I would add it here, since it did take me many weeks to compile the data and it was one of the first things I remember doing...

Some time after I bought my ScanGauge I did some speed vs Fuel Economy tests. Here is the thread. All measurements where made once I reached the particular speed and the Cruise Control Set. This effectively negates any acceleration/deceleration variables in the data. All were made on flat ground, and I tried to do an equal number of tests on the same road in both directions.

Here is my Final Data, in Metric (with Imperial added). Even if my numbers aren't the same as yours, this does show the optimum cruising speed of the SG forester to be about 65 Km/h (40 Mph).

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Nice mods, man. How did you find LED dome light replacements? I love LEDs. You can leave the interior lights on and not worry.

I don't plan on any engine mods, not even a K & N filter. Stock keeps me happy. But it could change.

Show us some better pix...your avatar shows good color, the attached pic is washed out. What does the rear wind deflector look like? Matching color? DIY?

Daughter has a Mazda 3. Good little car for a college girl. Little workhorse.

Bought my '07 used with 44k on the odo for $15k. Replaced my '98 CR-V which I drove for 8 years. Elated! I loved that Honda but the Subie is better in almost every measure.

Thanks for the post, James. Interesting stuff.

Sorry to hear you're unemployed. That really sucks. Good luck.

Rick

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some of my Favorate Photos (as featured in the http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f74/better-late-than-never-sg-thread-06-08-foresters-65447/ thread)

First Road Trip (Newport, Or)

First Camping Trip

...with some pumped up HDR.

One of the very first accessories I bought. Rear Bumper Cover.

Tent Trailering: Night time (with an actual shooting star in the frame)

More Tent Trailering...

New Wheels

New OEM Hood/Moonroof/Rear Window Deflectors AND JDM OEM side window deflectors.

My OEM brakes I painted Red.

Stock Intake Manifold I painted Red and DIY grounding Kit (when I installed the GrimmSpeed Phenolic Spacer)

More Engine...

Subtle Solutions Engine Dress up hardware in Red.

Norther BC Road Trip

Second Aux Transmission Cooler Install

GPS and Trailer Brake Controller Install

Another Photo showing the GPS, Tranny Temp Gauge and where I moved my ScanGauge. (the ScanGauge was on the other side of the steering wheel in the previous Pic)

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice mods, man. How did you find LED dome light replacements? I love LEDs. You can leave the interior lights on and not worry.

I don't plan on any engine mods, not even a K & N filter. Stock keeps me happy. But it could change.

Show us some better pix...your avatar shows good color, the attached pic is washed out. What does the rear wind deflector look like? Matching color? DIY?

Daughter has a Mazda 3. Good little car for a college girl. Little workhorse.

Bought my '07 used with 44k on the odo for $15k. Replaced my '98 CR-V which I drove for 8 years. Elated! I loved that Honda but the Subie is better in almost every measure.

Thanks for the post, James. Interesting stuff.

Sorry to hear you're unemployed. That really sucks. Good luck.

Rick
Thanks Rick,

I really loved the Protege, and I would probably still have it if I could afford to keep two cars (or my wife could drive standard). I do miss it, but the Forester is a major step up too. My Protege went to some College/University student. :icon_biggrin:

As for the LED lights, I bought them at SUPER BRIGHT LEDS home There is lots of info in this thread (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/l-e-d-s-really-work-5539/), but it is quite long. I don't remember off hand the part numbers I ordered or I would post them here. I thought I had a picture of the interior LED lights on my computer... I will try to remember to take another Pic.

You might also like to look at this thread (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/map-light-brightener-4786/index2.html#post408986), if you find your Map Light not bright enough, which can be a problem on the Foresters with Moonroofs, because the center light ends up being further back.

The Rear Windshield Deflector is a dark tinted color. You have to drill four holes in the hatch, so it isn't for the faint of hart DIY'er. You also need a Threadsert (aka Rivet Nut) tool, but they don't cost that much. Here is a Picture of my Rear Deflector. It makes a big difference in the amount of mist/spray and dirt that gets on the back window. I really like having mine.

I am thinking of updating my Avatar soon.

James

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see you have start a journal James. I hope you find some work soon so you can keep pimping your ride.
Thanks Steve. I am looking into going back to school. Because of the Economy there isn't many engineering jobs in the manufacturing industry in BC (at my experience level) right now, and there are quite a few of us all looking.

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
great journal!

hows the phenolic spacer? there's such a limited number of power adders with the n/a engine and i was wondering if this will add some low end torque..

>>>>>>>>>>

i just saw your link on them.. looks like the city mpg #'s went down after installing the spacers? oh, and these things are only 8mm..

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Fabulous photos, James! Subaru should hire you for their art dept. Great composition and color. What type of camera? Photoshop? The double exposure of the engine through the hood is cool. But the BC scenes are just awesome. And I like the camping shots at night.

Thanks for the links, I'll check out the LEDs later.

Rick

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
Looking great! You make me REALLY want an LLBean (yours reminds me of my favorite stock setup for my next buy) and mod it up.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Thanks Steve. I am looking into going back to school. Because of the Economy there isn't many engineering jobs in the manufacturing industry in BC (at my experience level) right now, and there are quite a few of us all looking.
you could always move to Calgary. Plenty of engineering jobs here.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
151 Posts
AWESOME PICS! I'm want to know how you like the throttle body spacer and the phenolic manifold spacer, is there an obvious difference in torque. I would like to get them.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AWESOME PICS! I'm want to know how you like the throttle body spacer and the phenolic manifold spacer, is there an obvious difference in torque. I would like to get them.
I did notice a small difference in Torque, not a lot, and I don't really have any way to measure it directly. One thing that I did try, which is subjective is my pre install 0-100 kph at 10.2 seconds to a post install of 9.8 seconds. I did take a few runs and this was my average time, but these runs where MONTHS apart and I was timing myself (with a stop watch) as I was driving.

It also seemed to raise my fuel consumption in the City slightly but lower my consumption on the highway by relatively the same amount. My average MPG stayed relatively the same.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Moonroof Deflector mod

I have always been a little put off by the size of the BIG BUBBLE that is the Moonroof Deflector. Especially when I haul lumber (etc) on the roof rack, because they tend to rub (aka scratch) the deflector. That is why I take the deflector off most of the year. So I finally decided to cut the deflector down a notch.

Here is the original Deflector. You can see how close the load is to it. There is about 1/8" gap. I drove this load of wood home with one hand in between the deflector and the plywood, or it definitely would have damaged the deflector. Other times I have put a towel there to protect the deflector. Good thing I live less than 10 minutes away from Home Depot.

Here is my Modified Deflector. Lots more room now (about 3/4").

I think the deflector looks 10 times better, as it doesn't look like a bubble anymore. And it still clears the metal deflector that pops up when you open the Moonroof.

I had to (carefully) cut the rubber trim off, because it is glued on at each end. Then I cut about 1/2" the deflector off using my table saw, with a plastic blade. Sanded the edge down. I also contoured the edge a little bit to match the roof. Re-glued the rubber on. I also had to drill new holes in the two clips and bend them again (see pic).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts