Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if this will fit a SF????
I know a lot of japan cars share parts...... should I try this??? it was free

·
Registered
78 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
does anyone know if this will fit a SF????
I know a lot of japan cars share parts...... should I try this??? it was free
Even if it does fit I don't believe it's going to get you anything. My understanding is the initial squishiness has quite a bit to do with the brake booster too.

·
Registered
04 XT Auto
298 Posts
As noted above, even if it fits, it's not going to change anything.

Master cylinders have to be matched in size to the slave cylinders (calipers).

The master needs to move enough fluid to push the slave cylinders to their effective operating pressure. Too little, and you don't stop very well. Too much, and your going to lock the brakes.

A mismatch can also affect the amount of pedal travel (making it longer or shorter) which can also affect how easily it is to modulate the brakes. (you don't want brakes that are just off, or on. You want some level of control over the amount of braking)

You really need to decide what you want from your brakes (or what is lacking in them) and upgrade accordingly.

Rob.

·
Registered
78 Posts
there are many changes that can be made to the stock brakes that will improve the feel and the performance. here's a quick list off the top of my head:

- Better, more performance oriented pads (this is the single biggest thing, and if you were to do only one this would be it)
- SS lines
- Good fluid
- master cylinder brace

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TurnInConcepts said:
there are many changes that can be made to the stock brakes that will improve the feel and the performance. here's a quick list off the top of my head:

- Better, more performance oriented pads (this is the single biggest thing, and if you were to do only one this would be it)
- SS lines
- Good fluid
- master cylinder brace
got it
getting it
got it
have it

Im just going to sell the Master cylinder now on ebay

·
Registered
78 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:
got it
getting it
got it
have it

Im just going to sell the Master cylinder now on ebay
Cool
cool
cool
very cool

After all those things if you are still not happy then you need to look into changing the the master cylinder and booster. It's really not for the faint of heart though, and you want to make sure you get the right stuff so you don't screw up your brakes. here's an interesting link on the subject:

http://www.northursalia.com/modifications/brakes/booster/booster.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts