Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
I wonder what alternative they would review better. It seems to me unless you can spend at least the best part of 40k there are very few choices for people who want a new SUV type of vehicle with half decent acceleration.

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
I wonder what alternative they would review better. It seems to me unless you can spend at least the best part of 40k there are very few choices for people who want a new SUV type of vehicle with half decent acceleration.
That was a significant factor in the US Motortrend Magazine giving the Forester "SUV of the Year". It offers fantastic bang for the buck.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
One thing that is never mentioned, either in roads tests or by Subaru, is how good the 4wd system is in mud, ice and snow compared with other SUV 4wd.

It is the main reason I will stick with Subaru.

Max.

·
Registered
2004 Forester x 2.0 - LPG MT5
69 Posts
I'm afraid I have to agree with EVO. Auto boxes are not a Subaru strong point.
Their CVT is not very nice either, its tiptronic mode being very forced.

If you think that's unfair, drive a Mercedes 7spd (9spd soon) or the BMW 8spd auto and you will very quickly see how far behind they are.

I totally agree with agkq62, the AWD system is excellent. It was saved me from a nasty accident on 2 occasions, thank you Subaru.

Mine also has a low range box which has also allowed me to escape a couple of muddy and snowy situations.

·
Registered
2010 Forester DX Manual
28 Posts
Not at all keen on the Evoque - I had one as a courtesy car when my Defender was in for it's service earlier this year. My wife was very keen as she really fancied them but she was underwhelmed too. I honestly think that the Freelander is a better car if you want a Landrover badge on a non-Defender.

I've driven Landrovers for years and currently have a 2011 Defender 110 - fuel costs are getting stupid though and the warranty is up in a few months so it's being traded in against a 2010 diesel Forrester at the end of the week once the dealer get a service done and fits new tyres for it's first MOT.

I must admit I'm looking forward to improved comfort and fuel economy.

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTen & FSti Manual
730 Posts
What shocks me about the CVT is the 60/40 Front/Rear torque split. I want 50/50 AWD. If I wanted an AWD that drives like a FWD car I'd buy something with a Haldex.

edit - I think the Evoque does look great though, but the engines sound crap.

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
Evoque is the best looking SUV in it's class, shows you that sometimes 'looks' are everything!!!

With today's image conscious buyers, the Designers are more important than the Engineers!! That can't be a good thing!

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Evoque best looking? Striking looking, maybe. I don't like showoff cars myself. It isn't really an SUV though assuming you value the U part of that moniker... I witnessed some hapless owners fighting to cram a very modest amount of cargo in and get the boot door shut, in the pouring rain. The Forester boot would have swallowed it twice over. It's just a tall hatchback really.

-- Steve

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Their CVT is not very nice either, its tiptronic mode being very forced.
"Tiptronic mode"? It's not a VW.

If you think that's unfair, drive a Mercedes 7spd (9spd soon) or the BMW 8spd auto and you will very quickly see how far behind they are.
I've had some experience with the BMW 8 speed. I don't see anything special about it. It exhibits typical behaviour like hunting around for the right gear on a hill. I'll take the CVT over that.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,971 Posts
I had a poke about the new XT today.

It's a very nice car, plenty of good equipment and even in the showroom you can tell the visibility is exceptional.

The paddle shift and additional ride height isn't really for me though.

If I'm going bigger, may as well go the whole hog.

Does look to be a nice car though.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,236 Posts
Evoque is the best looking SUV in it's class, shows you that sometimes 'looks' are everything!!!

With today's image conscious buyers, the Designers are more important than the Engineers!! That can't be a good thing!
The Evoque is a SUV with a very bad view backwards, maybe even that one with the worst view backwards at time!:crazy:

If the reversing aid or the rear view camera will be out of order by any reason, the driver will be lost while driving backwards, eminently while manoeuvring in the forest.:shake:
Own severe experiences while a test drive on the occasion of a hunter's exhition.:icon_sad:

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
The Evoque has pretty bad visibility forwards and sideways too! Thick A-pillars, enormous mirrors, and shallow side windows make for a dangerously limited view, in my opinion.

But then I am used to a Forester. :smile:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts