Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6 speed manual
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a year late but eventually got the engine spec complete(as complete as i'm prepared to pay for anyway).went in last wednesday for fitting the "BIG" intercooler, final re-map, and a sticking handbrake one day job you would sumise but not in my case....... becase of the extra power it's been running i trashed front disks and pads in 18 months a rear shoe was corroded and overheated one side but the disk'c were on the limit aswell and goosed the pads aswell got a brake bulb out phew!!!! got final map and race-rom activated(duel maps to run 95 ron if needs be) final bill £1300 i nearly fell on the floor but now i've driven it again it's a rocket!!!!!!! 405/395:bananapartyhat: thats it now as the next step up is front mount bigger turbo uprated fuel system and injectors and i'm not prepared to swallow that bill seeing as i've got 4 new tyres to replace in the next 6 months as she's ripped the treads of em in short order!!!!!! so big power is it worth it?

hell yeah!:biggrin::biggrin:

mik.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,588 Posts
Nice one, time to enjoy now!

What's the list of mods and what top mount are you using now?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,731 Posts
Quality Thats Marky Territorry over 400 well done.

I dont half miss the FSTI, especially as the Outback is throwing up CEL faults.

ATVB.

AM

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your right si it is about time, got side tracked with the bus(time and money) but as it's too cold to be in the garage i thought better get it done especially as my wife will be colour coding the camper interior and you won't belieive them prices....

2.6l fully forged engine,tweeked heads, scbillet38 turbo,3" milltek,pink injectors, spec "D" intercooler plus loads of odds and sods i can't think of at the moment.
mik

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i should have gone closed deck insert(kicking myself now as i type it too)so imagine that simon, now grab the missus!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
wow, I'd like a passenger ride in that please!

I am not convinced about the closed deck insert as how can one make sure that the thermal expansion coefficient of the insert and block are the same?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
they just use the same spec. material to machine the insert. AS performance do em. but it's in the past for me now as i'm not going to the expense to strip and then re-build it also not looking at more power(trust me it doesn't need it on the road) so my build should be solid now anyway.i could see if you went with a bigger turbo there would be problems with lag/boost on the road i can just feel it with mine as it is in 6th pottering on the road is a pain and impossible under 45mph.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
wow, I'd like a passenger ride in that please!

I am not convinced about the closed deck insert as how can one make sure that the thermal expansion coefficient of the insert and block are the same?
If the engine builder knows their pop, as Mik says, inserts should work.

You are right though, if not done correctly it could **** you over good and proper!

·
Registered
2005 2.5 XTen & FSti Manual
730 Posts
your right si it is about time, got side tracked with the bus(time and money) but as it's too cold to be in the garage i thought better get it done especially as my wife will be colour coding the camper interior and you won't belieive them prices....

2.6l fully forged engine,tweeked heads, scbillet38 turbo,3" milltek,pink injectors, spec "D" intercooler plus loads of odds and sods i can't think of at the moment.
mik
Sounds awesome. What is the power delivery like? I imagine with the extra capacity its not just a lump of power at the top end?

400 break in a Forester. Time to pick a Smilie... err this one I think.

:monkey_dance:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
13 bhp more can't make this much difference so don't know whether it's the new intercooler or the new map(apparently using new software from ecutek for the race rom activation)but it feels like a different car, pulls right from tick over up to 5.5k in every gear no pause or lag(won't potter in 6th got to use 5th more now though). can't really give it the beans coz of the weather and spinning up and getting squirmy way to much so low boost limit setting on the race rom may be worth a thought.need to do an mpg test next (just to see)

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
13 bhp more can't make this much difference so don't know whether it's the new intercooler or the new map(apparently using new software from ecutek for the race rom activation)but it feels like a different car, pulls right from tick over up to 5.5k in every gear no pause or lag(won't potter in 6th got to use 5th more now though). can't really give it the beans coz of the weather and spinning up and getting squirmy way to much so low boost limit setting on the race rom may be worth a thought.need to do an mpg test next (just to see)
My guess is the extra advance given has the made the difference and made the engine more "full" across the rev range.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cotton competition did the work(they used to work on my 300bhp impreza aswell before i upgraded to the foz), couple of the lads there are ex-prodrive and certainly know their onions.thankfully also the brakes are tip top now and work better than ever though the upgrade came at a heck of a cost, being able to stop is the one big plus of running a car but will see how long these will last.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
What discs/pads are you using?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mintex front and rear dimpled and groved disks and mintex pads. lot better feel and initial bite than previous ones(groved fronts and standard rear).

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Which compound pads? 1144 or 1155?
I had the 1144 in the 205 and were great as fast road/occasional track pad but had a lot of dust.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
think they are the 1144 as I presume they fitted the same as last time so it's spend a year in the never ending fight for clean alloys again(glad I had them done in anthracite)

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Haha... should have done them in black by the sounds of it.

I'd be interested to see this beasty in action. Make sure you're available for the next meet!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts