Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our daughter goes into Hospital early on Thursday morning for a caesarian section to deliver our first Grandchild and on the Friday morning "Casper" goes in for his operation too.
"Casper" is having his rear wheel bearing/s replaced/fixed so we can be free from the awful drone that comes into the cabin at 60 km/h and 80 km/h, the noise peeves me off big time. :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Congrats! The quieter wheel bearings will allow you to hear the screaming of a newborn better.:icon_wink: Do you live close enough to your daughter to be there for this moment? I hope you do; its was nice to have family there for the birth of my son.

·
Premium Member
2006 Impreza WRX with PPP Manual of course! ;-)
1,522 Posts
Just remember, Casper - Garage, Daughter - Hospital... :icon_wink:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here HE is, born at 10:36 am 05-06-2010 ....... the whole 7.07 lbs of him. :biggrin: Nana and Granddad are very pleased mother and baby are both well.

"Casper" goes in for his op tomorrow morning at 8:00 am. :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Congratulations!!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Congratulations :Banane14::Banane14::Banane14: now the only worry is delivering 'Casper'. :icon_biggrin:

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And does he look like grandad?
He has my daughters face from the nose up and his fathers chin and cheeks, friends say my daughter looks more like me than her mother.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Casper" came out of his op fit and healthy except for my hip pocket, it took a hit to the tune of $350.00 AUD for the right hand wheel bearing - dust seals and 2 hours of labour.

Thankfully the drone in the cabin has gone and silence has been restored.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
How many km's does Casper have up now and what do you think caused the failure of the wheel bearings? Have you been doing a lot of dirt work? Did it gradually get noisy or did it come on slowly?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many km's does Casper have up now and what do you think caused the failure of the wheel bearings? Have you been doing a lot of dirt work? Did it gradually get noisy or did it come on slowly?
Casper is about to click over the 160,000 km mark (99,000 miles).
I have no idea what caused the bearing to fail but it has been noisy for the past 5 mths and just got louder over that period of time until I couldn't stand the noise any longer.
Funny thing was that the noise only happened at set speeds like 60 km/h and 80 km/h. When I first noticed the noise back in Dec 2009 it was only a light rumbling - droning noise inside, outside with the window down you couldn't hear anything. Not being familiar with Subaru "noises" it was hard to detect what it actually was but after reading a couple of forums it was beginning to look awfully like the bearing.
As "Casper" was nearing the 162,500 km Service I was going to get it all done together but the noise just become unbearable.

Given that my mechanic (not dealership by the way) said that the replacement went as per normal I am thinking that the hardening wore off the rollers in the bearing otherwise you expect that I would have been up for a new hub too, but it was just the bearing and seals.

"Casper" loves the bitumen, he has been on just the one Forestry road in his lifetime and that was just after he had been "run in". I didn't push him hard at all either as the Minister for War & Finance :catfight: was sitting beside me. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
However I have pushed him hard at times on the Highway and through round-a-bouts and a few twisties when I have been familiar with the road and know what lies over the rise or around the bend and the Minister for War & Finance had been left at home. :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts