Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after commiserating with Stinkfist earlier today, there I was heading back tonight after collecting my son.

First, engine light comes on, promptly followed by ABS light! I'm now thinking these two aren't connected, something strange going on! Car still running OK. Next I lose the clocks, then it starts getting lumpy! Had to stop at one point and check it out due to rough running, car still running though.

Then lost all lights! Had to stumble home with the hazards on, made it back but it died on me just as I got home :icon_frown:

So, I've now got the battery on charge, but thinking likely Battery or Alternator? Any idea's?? Or has anyone had similar issues??

·
Registered
2004 looking 6 MT
262 Posts
My first check would be the alternator.once your battery is charged and assuming your car starts test the voltage.should be nearly 14 v d.c. If its only 12 or less the alternator is'nt charging the battery.might be the voltage rectifier but prob the whole unit.if the alternator is charging ok but your battery is'nt holding the charge then that's the culprit. If both are ok I'm out of ideas!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One or the other for sure, however battery has been on charge all night and still not full so I'm probably going to fit a new one as 1st port of call.

I had major electrical hassles with one of my bikes earlier this year, turned out to be a duff 1 year old battery :icon_mad:

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
Just in case you are unaware make sure you disconnect the battery when changing installing the alternator , one little touch on the connector will blow the main fuse

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, new battery installed. Checked the alternator output and its around 12.5Volts. Don't think thats enough so looks like yet more expense :icon_cry:

Sods law said whichever I chenged first, it would be the other! Least all the warning lights have gone out & car runs fine still.

Let the hunt for an alternator begin!

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Was it the original battery? They only tend toast three years reliably and the your on borrowed time...

·
Registered
00 I've had allsorts both
1,376 Posts
Was it the original battery? They only tend toast three years reliably and the your on borrowed time...
So the battery is 'Toast' then?...couldn't of put it better myself :icon_wink:

·
Registered
1998 Forester L Automatic
269 Posts
I have the misfortune to also own a Nissan Sentra, and I've discovered (far too many times) that a bad alternator can push a marginal battery over the edge, so you end up paying for both.

If you look for reman, avoid the chain stores like O'Reilly. I had to get four alternators from there before I found one that actually worked for longer than a few days.

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
You can get altinators fixed ya know. Had a few fixed and was always the regulator.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Supposed to say to last!:biggrin:

Darn foone.:icon_redface:

·
Registered
2004 FSTI 6 MT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doubt it was the original battery, but was fitted before export so no idea how old it was. As mentioned, a duff alternator could well 'Toast' the battery so at least I now know that's good...

Reg/Rec is built in on these units, and from today's research I believe it's the 'intelligent' type of alternator with output controlled by the ECU.

Nothings ever simple is it :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2017 BRZ Manual
436 Posts
Bugger ! :icon_eek:

Sorry to hear mate

My money's on the alternator

Los

1 - 13 of 13 Posts