Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side roads are unplowed. No hills around here. Will I get stuck? 2005 Forester X A/T stock tires.

J

·
0 Posts
Get out there! Go crazy! Let us know how it goes. :) We got two inches and I went out and had a bit of fun.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
I measured 16" on my deck here in MD. I woke up early so I could hit the untouched parking lot of my son's school. The Forester ate it up! Granted, the snow is light, but I had no problems this a.m.

Thanks KK Donuts for being open!

Michael

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
well, i went out and it was fun!!! the weather man said 12" inches but i think it was more like 8" on the roads here. Not a single problem. I'll post some pics later.

Pics:

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Isn't this weather what these cars were made for...? I've never been more confident driving on snow than with my new (to me) '01 Forester! :)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Idk I feel that subaru's are made for more of the fast, gut renching gravel roads!

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
i actually got stuck today in about 15 inches of snow. had all 4 wheels spinning mad

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Go for it there is only one way to find out

I WANT IT TO SNOW HERE!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in canada we always get snow, but not this year :(

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Unfortunately, I was out of town this weekend when it snowed. Instead I was where a Subaru would have had trouble - big trouble. Only 16-inches of snow, but 4-5 foot drifts - and 8-miles of unplowed road up and down the mountain. I was in a Suburban with chains - and still had problems.

Still wish I could find some snow for my Suubie

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
remal said:
never had more than 2" of snow in 15 years. I want some now
You need to move. Maybe Central New York (Syracuse)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
sschmelcke said:
i actually got stuck today in about 15 inches of snow. had all 4 wheels spinning mad
Probably got high-centered from pushing snow. I did that in our Outback 3 years ago. It wasn't a traction problem, it was a wheels-are-no-longer-fully-on-the-ground problem. I had to dig out the front end quite a bit. Once the car's weight was back on terra, er, snowy firma, we were fine again.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Seven said:
Probably got high-centered from pushing snow. I did that in our Outback 3 years ago. It wasn't a traction problem, it was a wheels-are-no-longer-fully-on-the-ground problem. I had to dig out the front end quite a bit. Once the car's weight was back on terra, er, snowy firma, we were fine again.
If its not too bad, you can get out by rocking the car side to side. Push up on the door frame, and let it drop. Just keep at it for a minute, and it will compress the snow a little bit, letting the wheels down.

D

·
0 Posts
FXTIam said:
If its not too bad, you can get out by rocking the car side to side. Push up on the door frame, and let it drop. Just keep at it for a minute, and it will compress the snow a little bit, letting the wheels down.
Or the lazy mans way. Just let the car run and the heat will melt the snow. :D

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
remal said:
never had more than 2" of snow in 15 years. I want some now
And driving what appears to be a Caterham version of Lotus's old Super Seven, you want to be careful what you wish for! The S7 was my adolescent fantasy car, still retained!
-Quick

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
We recently had several weeks worth of snow accumulation during a below zero cold snap, rained on, followed by freezing rain, followed by a cold snap and 1-3 inches of snow.
Where Anchorage cars had compacted the initial snow accumulation, and the city's plows had bladed flat, the result was the slickest surface I've ever encountered...you could just barely stand/walk on it...coupled with the next storms high winds, the highways were closed for a day, with over 100 911 calls for stranded/stuck/wrecked vehicles.
But the FXT, with studded Hakapeliita 2 snow tires was rock solid and surefooted, with good driver judgement, there was no problem getting around...testament to the fine AWD cars we're lucky enough to own!!!
-Quick

P

·
0 Posts
I'm glad this board wasn't here when I started driving Subies in the winter. I would have stayed home a lot more. Did you know you can plow snow with a 79 DL wagon with MT. I have driven in snow that came up over the headlights as I was climbing a hill to a friends house,scared out of my mind cause I couldn't see in the dark very well. I've also driven in 8" of slush because my husband refused to skip going to the local restaurant for coffee with friends and neighbors. I also live in a rural area so the roads may not get plowed for days. If I did have a large SUV I probably would stay home when the roads are bad because it seems like those are the ones that slide off the roads or flip over in the ditch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts