Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the bug bit again. I should see a new turbo in the mail in a week or two. I found a 39 for $400 out of an 05 sti with 7k on it. I will of course get it and then have to mail it right back out to have it ported or tear it apart and do it myself but I really do not have the time and I do not think I did that good of a job the last time.

I will now have to get some injectors from Frank and mail them out to be modified. Andrewtech will do the same thing as Perrin but will gaurantee a matched set which is something that Perrin apparently does not do as I was told. Cost will only be about $40 more.

I will then need to either get my hands on a header or get mine ported from somewhere but porting the stock XT is really not worth it as it is so small to start with.

Lastly, I will need to get my hands on an AP. I am going to take my time with all of this so it should be done by the end of March.. Just kidding. I am seriously shooting for some time in May/June time frame for all of this to be done.

Wish me luck!
 

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will see what sort of magic deadbolt can work on this turbo. Maybe clip and reballance the wheel or soemthing. Once I get the turbo in hand I will give them a call and see what we can do. My big concern is boost spikes though as I do not want to go external so the port should take care of that.
 

·
Recovering Modaholic
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
I've gone the same route, my VF39 is ready for porting and my STi manifold should be here in a few days! porting your wastegate will fix any boost creep issues.

is this a similar setup to your 300whp setup? I have a feeling the ported STi manifold should flow as well as any aftermarket $ header.
 

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is pretty much the same set up except for the injectors. I did not do them last time. I did have a Borla header though but it cracked and took me about 2 months of hell to get it replaced. I then sold it as I wanted nothing to do with that company. I figure I will probably just pick up some cheapy header from ebay but that means replacing the up pipe... what a pita that is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Have you talked to Crucial Racing about P&P the stock headers? They are now offering this service and many people seem to be very happy with the gains gotten from it.
 

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is my understanding that the hole diameter of the the STI manifold is larger than the FXT. Some place does this same sort of porting and you simply pay them a core charge until you ship theirs but I think I read that they are not even taking the FXt manifolds as it is not worth their time.
 

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
Joined
·
742 Posts
DAMWAGN said:
It is my understanding that the hole diameter of the the STI manifold is larger than the FXT. Some place does this same sort of porting and you simply pay them a core charge until you ship theirs but I think I read that they are not even taking the FXt manifolds as it is not worth their time.
If I remember correctly, the STi, WRX, and F-XT manifolds are identical.

Besides, I don't put a great deal of stock in headers on a Subaru anyway... we made 616whp on Dan Lowman's car on the stock headers, so I doubt the header is a weak point. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
Why upgraded injectors with the 39? Do you expect to see gains over not having the injectors? How much gain if so?
 

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not change them last time and I was ok but a little on the high side if you will. The goal was to stay below 80% of their duty cycle. I think I was closer to 90. I am also thinking that somewhere down the road I will have an 18 or 20G so I might as well go ahead and get it done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,132 Posts
Interesting. Stock are 550cc, modded I think they become upwards of 800cc? How would that effect fuel economy (if at all) and normal driving?

DAMWAGN said:
I did not change them last time and I was ok but a little on the high side if you will. The goal was to stay below 80% of their duty cycle. I think I was closer to 90. I am also thinking that somewhere down the road I will have an 18 or 20G so I might as well go ahead and get it done.
 

·
Recovering Modaholic
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
Porter said:
If I remember correctly, the STi, WRX, and F-XT manifolds are identical.

Besides, I don't put a great deal of stock in headers on a Subaru anyway... we made 616whp on Dan Lowman's car on the stock headers, so I doubt the header is a weak point. :D
the STi manifold has a larger internal DIA than the FXT, the crossover pipe is also different so porting and STi header is well worth the $160.
 

·
Registered
2004 FXT
Joined
·
830 Posts
Chris, I actually have 2 FXT ecu's right now, both ECUTek'd, one is yours, the other was Vhalin's... I'm using Vhalin's while the other one gets retuned from Kingpin.. but once I get that one retuned, I'll be selling the other spare... watch out for it in about a month or so...
 

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
Joined
·
742 Posts
DOHCammin said:
the STi manifold has a larger internal DIA than the FXT, the crossover pipe is also different so porting and STi header is well worth the $160.
Interesting. I may have lost my mind, I thought they were the same. Maybe the STi manifold changed at the same time that the up-pipe design switched in the middle of MY04.
 

·
Aspiring Post Ho
Joined
·
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
twg said:
Chris, I actually have 2 FXT ecu's right now, both ECUTek'd, one is yours, the other was Vhalin's... I'm using Vhalin's while the other one gets retuned from Kingpin.. but once I get that one retuned, I'll be selling the other spare... watch out for it in about a month or so...
If you do not see something on here from me talking about running an AP, hit PM me as I would not mind getting the old one back as I know how it works!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top