Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 00 foz with 200k on it a few months ago as my around town beater. It had a bad click in the front drive train and no a/c. Since it was summer time, I fixed the a/c right away. I HATE being hot.:icon_cool: I wasn't sure exactly where the noise was coming from, so I figured I'd drive it until it got worse. I knew it would either be a transmission or an axle. Come to find out, it was both. My right front axle decided to remove itself from the front diff while at a stoplight this afternoon.:icon_eek: IDK if the axle will be salvageable yet, but I doubt it. I'll try to remember to take pics of the carnage this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission = $250 and a weekend (at least) under a car. Then I'll need fluids, cleaning supplies, stitches (most likely:biggrin:), and whatever else pops up. Gonna be a long weekend.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Oh joy, also pics or it didn't happen(that includes the stitches).

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried to knock the pins out of the axles tonight just to find out whoever put in the last left one mangled the crap out of the pin. I found out that whatever failed in the front diff has both axle shafts loose now, and the diff case is split wide open.:icon_eek: Hopefully I'll get it out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front axles, drivshaft, exhaust, heat shields, and anything else in the way are out. Shifter is disconnected. I need to put the car back on the ground so I can finish up all the wiring, starter, and coolant lines from up top. Then back up in the air to pull it out. I might have it out tonight, but probably a better chance of tomorrow by lunch. I'll need to replace the manifold gaskets and axle pins to get it back together. It does look like the axles are salvageable though.:woohoo: Time for a little lunch and back to it.....

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
Got to love surprise projects like this. I love doing stuff like this, when it's other peoples money.

Any chance you will split the trans/diff case open to get a look?

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
My right front axle decided to remove itself from the front diff while at a stoplight this afternoon.:icon_eek:
A good thing though, that this happened while stopped at a light!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any chance you will split the trans/diff case open to get a look?
If I have time. I'm curious to see what failed. IDK if I'll learn anything though. Driving it for ~ 1mile after it broke is probably what did most of the damage.

I have it completely ready to pull the trans, but it won't come off.:yell: I've got all 8 mounting bolts out, everything disconnected, and still nothing. I've done this twice before, and they were both tight, but this is in a whole new league. I might have to mill out some of the bell housing so I can get a prybar in there. If you have any secrets, let me know.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
If I know they are coming apart in the near future I spray the parting line with penetrating oil and it typically doesn't give any problems.

Otherwise try one of my well known locals(Fuji K) tricks, meat cleaver.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
I have had one where I drilled a 1/2" hole at the parting line to put a pry bar in. Not ideal but I ran out of options. It was a salvage yard engine trans that sat out side for some time with no hood on the car.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm gonna have to buy a meat cleaver! The better half might be angry if I used her Cutco knives. Thanks for the info man. I knew you'd have something for me.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
I'm gonna have to buy a meat cleaver! The better half might be angry if I used her Cutco knives. Thanks for the info man. I knew you'd have something for me.:biggrin:
Well, when she gets :yell:, just let her know you are buying her a new one and let her swing the hammer at the old cleaver.

Less work for you, and if she swings at you instead of the cleaver then well, it's still less work for you:icon_wink:

Kidding, don't do it. I once used the Misses Wustof shears to cut a piece of scotch bright:icon_eek: Yea, wont do that again:icon_frown:

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
Kidding, don't do it. I once used the Misses Wustof shears to cut a piece of scotch bright:icon_eek: Yea, wont do that again:icon_frown:
To paraphrase: "you're a braver (better) man then me Gunga-Din". I'd just shoot myself afterwards, less stress.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
The apology not only cost me the sharpening of the shears which I had our grinders do at work(they matched the edge angle, finish and polish) but also $1,600 worth of Wusthof Culinar knifes and having my neighbor make not only a knife block for the counter but a carry/travel case for them. Wont happen again, I can't afford it again. In my defense I my last set of knifes were all of $25 at target, I knew nothing of this Wusthof guy.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
I spent about $20 on some metal putty knives with a spot on the handle that's hardened so you can hammer (use a dead blow). Took some hits, but it finally split it enough for me to stark working with the chisels. When that split it a bit more, I was able to hammer one of my pry bars in and start working it out. Damn things are welded on sometimes.

Edit: This is an auto? Did you undo the TC bolts?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Edit: This is an auto? Did you undo the TC bolts?
Yes, and yes. Those are a PITA to get out without removing the intake. I'm not looking forward to getting them back in either. As soon as the garage warms up I'll go out there and finish up the teardown. Then it's time to clean the tools.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's out! The meat cleaver trick worked almost as well as the videos. And now I have a new dangerous tool.:woohoo: And for anyone else reading this that might be pulling an a/t at some point in the future, there is one more bolt hidden in a recess just below the lower stud for the starter.:redface: That's why I gave up last night; I knew I'd find something that I had been missing. The next problem will be that the car isn't high enough to get the new one under it while on a jack. I didn't have to worry about it this time because it fell off the jack on the way down.:icon_eek: I made sure I wasn't under it though. I'll get pics of the carnage once I can remember my flickr password.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts