Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my computer finally died.. I'm writing this from my cell.

It had been giving me the BSOD on occasion for a while now, hanging on startup sequence, etc... but this morning, it just wouldn't start, at all. Light's on at the back of the PSU, fans work, but nobody's at home elsewhere. Graphics card fan doesn't work.

I'd try and fix it, but putting money into an 8 year old computer doesn't make sense to me. (HP 856x, heavily upgraded and updated since new)

So if you notice I'm not posting much, that's why. I'll be checking every day with my parents computer, but won't have time to browse the forums much. You can contact me via PM if you need me for something. :icon_wink: I'll also be on Facebook via my phone.

Hopefully after the first of the year, I'll have my new laptop. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
702 Posts
Sorry to hear about that; my wife is in a similar situation--her laptop suddenly died the other day and I had to ship it out yesterday for repairs. Luckily, her laptop is under warranty; it's less than a year old.

I'm also looking for a decent desktop to replace the 9 year old Dell XPS (Pentium III) in the next couple of months. I've upgraded it to it's max and I just can't stand how slow it is. The RAMBUS memory is tapped out at 512 megs!!

Michael

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
I've been backing up my 2003 vintage AMD Athlon XP 3000+ desktop PC weekly in anticipation of just such an event.

What kind of laptop are you going to get?

I'm thinking about getting a laptop, probably at least a 2.6Ghz core 2 with dedicated vid card possibly nVidia 9600GT or something, 4 gigs and Windows 7. Maybe. You can get more power for dollar in a desktop but I'm ready for a laptop I think.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Sorry to hear. Roo's 20" iMac gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago too. Failed power supply and blown logic board. It was only a year and a half old! :furious:

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.5 Auto
95 Posts
Sorry to hear. Roo's 20" iMac gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago too. Failed power supply and blown logic board. It was only a year and a half old! :furious:
Sounds like a brown out to me. It happens regularly up this way (tropical storms are a bugger!).

And I was all set to extol the virtues of Apple computers! We have 3 and they have been rock solid but that is my experience.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^I'd go mac, but they're financially prohibitive right now.

Sorry to hear about that; my wife is in a similar situation--her laptop suddenly died the other day and I had to ship it out yesterday for repairs. Luckily, her laptop is under warranty; it's less than a year old.

I'm also looking for a decent desktop to replace the 9 year old Dell XPS (Pentium III) in the next couple of months. I've upgraded it to it's max and I just can't stand how slow it is. The RAMBUS memory is tapped out at 512 megs!!

Michael
Wait wait wait. XPS B733lr? Or something along those lines? :biggrin: I have one, and it still runs. :biggrin: Just slow as a lifted 1987 Ford Ranger with 70hp and 32" tires. :lol: I think we paid over two grand for that thing back in 2000. It has been bulletproof though, and a great backup (I'd be on it right now if my mom needed her desktop, which I'm using ATM.

I've been backing up my 2003 vintage AMD Athlon XP 3000+ desktop PC weekly in anticipation of just such an event.

What kind of laptop are you going to get?

I'm thinking about getting a laptop, probably at least a 2.6Ghz core 2 with dedicated vid card possibly nVidia 9600GT or something, 4 gigs and Windows 7. Maybe. You can get more power for dollar in a desktop but I'm ready for a laptop I think.
I knew it was coming, so I have everything backed up on to an external HD. In fact, I quit saving new stuff to the desktop's HD, just went straight to the external.

HP dv7t Quad Edition. W7, 1.4Ghz Intel Core2Quad, 4GB ram, 1GB GPU (nVidia, IIRC) 500gb HDD, all for $999 (4GB / 500GB were free upgrades when I built it online) :biggrin: It should fit my needs perfectly. Check it out sometime.

I looked at Dells, and even Gateway, but that setup is by far the best bang for your buck. The Dell XPS Studio laptops start at $999, and they're only offering an Intel P6600 at that price. Add extras, and it adds up quickly.

Still collecting money, looks like nobody around here wants their cars detailed. Phooey.

Sorry to hear that. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 years.........:huh:
8 YEARS..........................:huh:

Pretty good if you ask me.
Yeah, I'd say it's pretty phenominal for a computer purchased at WalMart for $1000 (including monitor). The only thing that is original is the mobo, but I guess that too has now bitten the dust.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Yeah.. my computer of 9 years just died. My parents were using it and I bet they were installing a bunch of spyware on there. Now I have to build them a $500 W7 spyware retainer. Ugh.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, I ordered my new baby today. Here are the specs:

HP dv7t Quad Edition
---------

Color - Espresso Black

Operating system - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

Memory - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard drive - 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Graphics card - 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M

Display - 17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)

Primary optical drive - LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

etc...

Grand total: $1,045

Hopefully it will serve me well!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Wish I would of saw this thread, I could have helped you build a killer system :icon_confused:
Just built one myself not too long ago

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor (Unlocked to 4 Cores)

Mushkin HP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996659

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD PX-880SA

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Acer X233hbid HD monitor

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
This PC will play any game out there at full graphics with out so much as a hiccup.. its a giant leap from my XP 3000+

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Steep price IMO. An i7-720 build should be cheaper but I'm assuming you have stuff like monitor, sound system, etc with it.

Going AMD Phenom II X4 965 probably would've done just as well for much less.

I'm an Intel boy btw, so this isn't an AMD fanboy talking lol.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wish I would of saw this thread, I could have helped you build a killer system :icon_confused:
Just built one myself not too long ago

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor (Unlocked to 4 Cores)

Mushkin HP 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996659

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD PX-880SA

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Acer X233hbid HD monitor

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
This PC will play any game out there at full graphics with out so much as a hiccup.. its a giant leap from my XP 3000+

Steep price IMO. An i7-720 build should be cheaper but I'm assuming you have stuff like monitor, sound system, etc with it.

Going AMD Phenom II X4 965 probably would've done just as well for much less.

I'm an Intel boy btw, so this isn't an AMD fanboy talking lol.
It's a laptop.

^this

I would have happily built a killer desktop... I've built several nice gaming rigs for friends before, I just needed a laptop for school. I've seen my dorm, and lawd knows I don't want to work around a tower setup in there.

My mother has been building her own PC's since the late 80's (she speaks odd tech languages from the old days... something about 'DOS' and little cockroaches running around? :biggrin:), and has passed that down to me. She now rocks a tricked out XPS 420, which I'm using now (the only thing that is original is the case :lol:).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts