Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got the recall for the one-way valve removal in the gas tank done a week or so ago. The dealership also did a safety inspection on the car which I guess is their procedure. They told me that I need a new Left Rear wheel bearing. Anyone else having this issue? Just turned 60K about the same time frame as the recall maintenance.

Also, I have noticed that, on occasion, my AC blows out a white substance. I don't know what to call it as its not a powder. The best I can describe it would be as a mist. It happened several times a few days ago on my drive home from work. It has no odor but really caught me off guard as I initially thought it was smoke.

Lastly, The outside temperature gauge is not working. Has anyone else had this stop working as well?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,162 Posts
Probably the drain hose is clogged. It comes out somewhere at the front of the passenger side underneath. Find it and blow on it to clear it out.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
Wheel bearings and Subaru go hand and hand. Sorry but it is common, frustrating but nothing to freak out about. Do it before it gets too bad and then move on with life. If they are left to get worse they can damage the hub also.

As for the AC blowing a mist(snow) it could be related to one or two things or a combination of the two.
-The first one is simple, check the cabin air filter. If it is plugging up with debris it can cause the evaporator core to start to ice up due to the lack of air flow. As it ices up the air blowing through the vents blows the ice crystals off the core and out the vents.

-The second one can be more costly, If the air conditioning system is low on the refrigerant charge it can also cause the evaporator core to ice up. The question is it low due to a leak or was it just under charged from the factory.

Also check the drain hose for the evaporator core. A simple puff of air from a air hose can usually clear it out.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheel bearings and Subaru go hand and hand. Sorry but it is common, frustrating but nothing to freak out about. Do it before it gets too bad and then move on with life. If they are left to get worse they can damage the hub also.

As for the AC blowing a mist(snow) it could be related to one or two things or a combination of the two.
-The first one is simple, check the cabin air filter. If it is plugging up with debris it can cause the evaporator core to start to ice up due to the lack of air flow. As it ices up the air blowing through the vents blows the ice crystals off the core and out the vents.

-The second one can be more costly, If the air conditioning system is low on the refrigerant charge it can also cause the evaporator core to ice up. The question is it low due to a leak or was it just under charged from the factory.

Also check the drain hose for the evaporator core. A simple puff of air from a air hose can usually clear it out.
Got the bearing fixed but now have this noise when I go over bumps. It sounds like something is loose and bounces after hitting a bump. Hard to describe. Almost like a marble hitting the floor and bouncing a few times before rolling.

As for the AC, it only happened a few times and I have not seen it since.

My only problem now is the checn engine light keeps coming one and going off every few days. Subaru has no clue why it's doing this either.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 5 Speed Manual
524 Posts
Got the bearing fixed but now have this noise when I go over bumps. It sounds like something is loose and bounces after hitting a bump. Hard to describe. Almost like a marble hitting the floor and bouncing a few times before rolling.

As for the AC, it only happened a few times and I have not seen it since.

My only problem now is the checn engine light keeps coming one and going off every few days. Subaru has no clue why it's doing this either.
Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? Maybe you can go into a parking lot/apartment complex that has speed bumps to go over while you have the windows down and listen...

As far as the check engine light, the dealership is able to look up previous codes that have caused the check engine light to turn on. If you feel unsure of what they are telling you about the light, try getting it read at AutoZone or other parts store; They generally will read your lights for free.

·
Registered
2008 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? Maybe you can go into a parking lot/apartment complex that has speed bumps to go over while you have the windows down and listen...

As far as the check engine light, the dealership is able to look up previous codes that have caused the check engine light to turn on. If you feel unsure of what they are telling you about the light, try getting it read at AutoZone or other parts store; They generally will read your lights for free.

The noise is coming from the driver's side rear, which is the bearing that went out. Never had that noise before.

As far as the light, Going to AutoZone or Advanced Auto is on my list to do. My schedule sucks otherwise I'd have gone by now.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,162 Posts
Don't understand why subaru didn't read the codes????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts