Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
03 Forseter XS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
?well folks, i've found my forester, its everyting i'm wanting at the right price, theres only one thing concerning me, and im not even too sure its something to be worried about, but i thought i'd ask the experts here what they think, the vehicle is located in the MD area, somewhat near dc, a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, but as i said, its everything i'm wanting
the exterior is about perfect, as is the interior, the only problem i can see from the pictures provided by the seller, is a little rust on the underside on some bolt heads, on what looks to be the transfer case possibly? wish i could post pics to show you what im talking about, but other than that, there's absolutely no rust on any of the body, it just seems isolated on the bolt's, so is that anything to be worried about, or to drive me away from this deal?he's asking 9,000 for it and it only has 73K on it. should i jump?
thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,872 Posts
As I wrote on your intro post. Rusting bolts will be pretty common where they use winter road salts & would mostly be cosmetic & can be cleaned, painted or replaced. The problem I see, or what you may not see is any major body rusting. The only way to know if there is a problem, is to get underneath & take a good look. :frown:

When you're under there looking, don't forget to look for possible failing head gaskets or other issues. :wink:

Keep in mind if the rusting is cosmetic & the Forester is acceptable, you could offer a less than the asking price! :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,051 Posts
My first '00 came from Baltimore MD area. I had it from about 100,000 to 120,000 before wife totaled it. It didn't have any body rust but some of the bolts underneath were a bit rusty.

Plan on having to get new bolts for the front brake caliper yokes if you have to take them off to get new rotors or whatever. They're about $5 each. BTW these bolts just don't last that long. I have also had one from better climes that were still a bit corroded by 100,000 but did not seize or break off.

If it's in good shape and well-maintained I wouldn't let a "salty" location stop me from buying one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts