Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester Auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just picked up my first Subaru on Thursday. Rokblokz arrived today. Put the fronts on with no issue (except that one long clip seemed to be stripped from the start, I can't tighten it, it just keeps slipping). I am using the 1.5" screws on the spot with the spacer.

The rears though, I am having issues with. I can't see any way that I can remove the one retaining clip and manage to get access to the area that needs the long clip. The plastic molding isn't just flat against the metal mounting point - it bends behind, and up. Other retaining clips attach the one piece to the painted bumper. I removed some further retainers under the car, still with no luck on getting access to stick in the long clip.

Has anyone else had issues installing the rear flaps? Any possibility the plastic molding is different on Cdn vs. US models? I consider myself a pretty handy guy, but I'm stumped here. That being said, cars certainly aren't my area of expertise.

Thanks all, would appreciate your help getting these things on.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
You need to peel the plastic wheel well liner out quite a ways so you can reach back behind it to put the clip on.

You must put this clip on before you screw in the outer mounting locations.

Make sure to tuck the plastic liner back in behind the metal lip after putting the clip on, just like it was tucked behind originally.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester Auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Josh, thanks for the reply. My issue is that the plastic wheel well liner seems so well fitted into the bumper, I am afraid to bend the bumper out far enough to be able to peel the liner away and access where the clip should go.

When you say peel back, do you mean the painted bumper? Maybe just a case of treating the new car (my first new vehicle) too softly.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
When you say peel back, do you mean the painted bumper? Maybe just a case of treating the new car (my first new vehicle) too softly.

Thanks again.
You do not want to bend the outer painted metal, but instead bend the inner black plastic wheel well liner.

It is fairly tricky to get it started, but be patient. It might help to push on the back plastic (pushing towards the rear end of the car from inside the wheel well) to get it loose.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
I had success going in from behind the rear wells......you can get to the metal piece that the tab needs to go on from that direction as well.

GL

·
Registered
2014 Forester Auto
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciated - there were two clips up higher I removed, but didn't go as far as removing the two in the photo. Will give it another try tomorrow morning (assuming we don't get another dump of snow tonight).

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
1,323 Posts
from my recollection I think I removed 3-5.. just enough to fit your hand up under the liner

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
186 Posts
I had the same problem, Wyldcat's pic was what gave me the epiphany needed to install mine. Once you pop those two bottom ones off, it makes much more sense how to pull the liner back, and you'll see the inner metal clip clearly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts