Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a new 2019 Forester Touring and a Rexing V1 dashcam. I just purchased the Rexing mini-USB hardwiring kit. I followed the instructions other users had posted online, and plugged it into 15A FUSE 7 (12V SOCKET).

The dashcam powers on normally. However, I first noticed several corrupted video files after a test drive with the new setup. These corrupted files contained times when the car was stopped and the auto-shutoff feature had turned off the engine. Files from long stretches of highway driving were completely okay. I heard the "startup" sound play a few times while I was driving on local roads. I also noticed the Rexing's blue LED would occasionally turn off (meaning it wasn't being powered), also while the car was driving on local roads. I'm taking this to mean the auto-shutoff feature is affecting the voltage in that circuit, and that is somehow messing up the Rexing dashcam, causing it to corrupt the video files.

Short of disabling the auto-start/stop feature, or switching back to the 12V adaptor (which works fine btw), do you all have any other suggestions? Is there another circuit I should try that's less likely to be affected by voltage transients from the auto-start/stop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further reflection, it's probably a transient voltage drop during the starter motor actuation that's causing the Rexing dashcam to malfunction. Reasoning: I didn't notice the camera powering off during the engine off period, but only a few seconds after the car was moving again.

Perhaps other users haven't noticed this problems with other dashcam models which may have better circuitry to protect themselves against voltage transients. Maybe the Subaru regulates output to the 12V AC outlets so they maintain 12V even during the starter motor actuation? It's likely the Rexing hardwire kit does not have that kind of transient protection.

Will attempt to move the fuse tap to FUSE 4 (AUDIO NAVI), another 15A circuit, to see if changing circuits helps. Maybe the Forester has a load-shedding feature, and if so, I am hoping the infotainment system will be more protected from voltage transients.

If this doesn't work - my other options are to try another hardwiring kit (more $$$ and no gaurentees), another dashcam (more $$$, also no gaurentees), or move back to the 12V AC adapter.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
256 Posts
And yet another reason I loathe auto start stop. Hopefully you can find another fuse slot that works so you don't have to dedicate your 12V adapter to the dash cam.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
835 Posts
Interesting issue that could affect a lot of things. Did you try giving Rexing tech services a call?

·
Registered
2019 Forester
22 Posts
I bought a set of dashcam from taobao and will be installing them soon. Hope you find the correct fuses and report back! Thanks!

Upon further reflection, it's probably a transient voltage drop during the starter motor actuation that's causing the Rexing dashcam to malfunction. Reasoning: I didn't notice the camera powering off during the engine off period, but only a few seconds after the car was moving again.

Perhaps other users haven't noticed this problems with other dashcam models which may have better circuitry to protect themselves against voltage transients. Maybe the Subaru regulates output to the 12V AC outlets so they maintain 12V even during the starter motor actuation? It's likely the Rexing hardwire kit does not have that kind of transient protection.

Will attempt to move the fuse tap to FUSE 4 (AUDIO NAVI), another 15A circuit, to see if changing circuits helps. Maybe the Forester has a load-shedding feature, and if so, I am hoping the infotainment system will be more protected from voltage transients.

If this doesn't work - my other options are to try another hardwiring kit (more $$$ and no gaurentees), another dashcam (more $$$, also no gaurentees), or move back to the 12V AC adapter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts