Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5Xten
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2.5XT on an 05 plate. Recently replaced standard HU with an old Sony unit I had laying around. Sound quality is much improved.

The only drawback is that I have lost the audible commands from the factory fit SatNav because I couldn't find an ISO audio lead that supported it.

Does anyone know if such a lead exists or how to make your own to get round this problem?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Can you post pictures of your OEM HU (front, rear, and label on top)? What model number is printed on the front?

That might help me determine how the Nav audio was getting into the stock HU, and a solution (if possible).

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5Xten
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have the original head unit, it broke so I threw it away. It was the one with the internal 6 cd auto-changer and no cassette player. Can't get the model number from the owners manual.

As I recall, the Sat Nav attached to it via a small (less than inch long and approx quarter inch wide) black connector with about 20 pins.

Don't know if that helps you any, but thanks for trying.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Sounds like it might be the 20-pin changer port shown here (post #6 in my "Stock HU info" thread).

OLD information:
Take a look at the pin-out in that post. Unfortunately, it's only a small section from a full schematic. I'll see if I can find the original. The pin numbering is awkward to decipher at first -- pin 1 is BUS OFF, pin 2 is BU, pin 3 is GND, etc.

The Nav prompt audio might be present on AUD Lch, AUD Rch, and AUD GND (pins 16, 17, 18). Or perhaps on NAVI GND and NAVI (pins 19 and 20). You could test by connecting those to a small speaker/amp to see if you hear the audio from the nav unit.

If your test is successful, I can probably make a matching 20-pin plug to connect to your car's harness.

I doubt your old Sony HU has any input that would work with that audio. An Aux input could work, but you would have to switch to that mode (and stop listening to the radio/CD) whenever you wanted to hear the Nav commands. I think you'd be stuck with adding a small amp and speaker behind your dash. But if your Sony has a Phone Mute input, the MUTE line on the 20-pin connector might silence your radio during Nav commands.

2005-2006 Legacy/Outback OEM HUs have a phone input feature that would work for this -- it interrupts whatever audio the HU was playing (or temporarily powers on the HU if it had been off) and sends the phone's audio to the front speakers.

ADDED: I updated my NASIOC post with a pin-out table. The schematic from the service manual assigned the pin numbers differently than Subaru.

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
I am hoping that SVXdc is still on the Site as I have just tried getting this to work with the NASIOC pinout and a separate speaker. I got no sounds.
:chair:

This is the head Unit (Front)

Head unit model/id:

Head unit Rear
The white socket is not a problem. That connection is now powering the new haed unit via a ISO/Subaru Lead.

The 8pin socket, according to NASIOC is for the rear boot speaker (Subwoofer).

The 20pin soccket, according to NASIOC is for the SATNAV (or other input device, such as IPOD).

20Pin Front:

20Pin Top:

20Pin Bottom:

20 pin Colours:
Pin orientation is looking at the socket on the rear of the radio:

Code:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11

1 NAVI - White
2 AUDIO-L - White/Black
3 AUDIO-R - White/Blue
4 NC
5 NC
6 BUS-ON - Blue
7 MUTE - Blue/Black
8 BUS - - Blue/Red
9 BUS + - Red
10 B/U - Red/White

11 NAVI-GND - Yellow
12 AUDIO-GND - Yellow/ Black
13 NC
14 NC
15 NC
16 NC
17 RESET - Green
18 GND(BUS) - Green/Black
19 GND(B/U) - Black
20 BUS-OFF - Black/White

I have tried connecting a 4ohm speaker to the following pins and pressing the satnav buttons without success:

1 & 11
2 & 12
3 & 12
10 & 19

Im hoping someone will have a key to the colours.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Looks like you have the Subaru GX806EF2 radio.

You're very close to having it working. A plain speaker won't be sufficient. The nav audio signal is line-level (low level). You'll need a small amplifier (or a small integrated amp+speaker).

I recently found the service manual for that radio on the web, and just had another look at the schematics. I'm now more confident that the nav audio is sent on pins 1 (+) and 11 (- or ground).

Looking at the pins on the front of your car's 20-pin harness (as in your 4th picture), the numbers go:

Code:
|____________[  ]___________|
 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
So connect those pins to the input of something that provides amplification. For testing, you can connect those to any device with an aux audio input (including your new HU, if it has that).

Aftermarket "navigation speakers" [ADDED: er, right, that should be "communication speaker"] (12V, small, with an integrated amp, suitable for this purpose) that you could install behind the dash are rumored to exist, but I haven't found one yet. If you come across one, let us know -- Legacy/Outback owners would be interested in that too, for the same purpose.

·
Registered
439 Posts
That makes so much sense as the original stereo was obviously amplifying the signal.

I have a cheap iso lead for a hands free kit that I was going to use, so that I could mute and use one bank of the speakers. But obviously I still need a small amp.

What wattage would you think suitable. 8w?

Andy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Aftermarket "navigation speakers" (12V, small, with an integrated amp, suitable for this purpose) that you could install behind the dash are rumored to exist, but I haven't found one yet. If you come across one, let us know -- Legacy/Outback owners would be interested in that too, for the same purpose.
I found this 3w speaker available from co-star on UK Amazon. Not the cheapest, but only needs a jack plug connection.

3W AMPLIFIED COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKER 12V: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Looks like it is probably meant for CB radios.

Speakers & Microphones | Communications Speakers | Co-Star Electronic Components

Another manufacturer quotes a 6w speaker:SP-180A Watson Amplified mobile communication speaker

Waters & Stanton PLC Speakers

Would 3w be enough for a stand along speaker? Obviously, the stereo would be muted.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
3W should be plenty. I think the key is finding something small that is easier to tuck behind the dash. Ideally just under the top (thin plastic) or behind the upper cubby -- so the sound will reach you via a shorter path.

Do try testing into your HU's aux input before you spend money on a speaker.

As for muting your new HU when the nav needs to speak, I don't know how the nav does that with the OEM radio. I don't think it's simply another pin that changes to +5V or +12V when it wants the HU to kill the music. It may be a data stream on the BUS+/- leads. But you might try checking with a voltmeter to see if any other pin changes while your nav speaks.

If you do find a suitable pin, you'll likely need to use a relay to interface that to your new HU's phone mute input lead.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I finally got around to trying this the other month and those two pins did not work.

I know the separate powered speaker worked as I plugged it into a spare IPOD and it was louder with 12v through it.

I did some investigation on the Satnav unit and removed it from the top of the glovebox. In the back of the unit there was a wiring connector in and an output connectoer to the touchscreen on the dash. There was also a standard female speaker socket, but sadly plugging the speaker in there also didnt work.

Its almost as though the standard speaker outlet is being muted by the stereo wiring somehow.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Sorry the two pins on the 20-pin socket didn't work. It sounds like the nav unit may not send the guidance audio unless it sees that it is connected to a HU. Or perhaps the audio is on other pins.

On the display unit, what do you mean by "standard female speaker socket"? The nav displays that I've seen do not have a speaker socket.

Perhaps you mean an RCA jack for the video input, like on this screen found in USDM Legacys and Outbacks?

If not that, then can you post pictures?

Also, please add your model and year to your profile here.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry I wasnt clear,

The disk unit has a speaker socket, but it was muted.

Im wondering if one of the power feeds to the disk unit, has a mute function.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
I have some new information on two fronts:

After looking at the service manual for one of the Legacy/Outback OEM HUs (GX-201LE), I'm certain that pins 1 and 11 are the correct pins where the nav audio prompts are piped into the HU. The HU routes this to the front speakers when the nav unit needs to speak. As discussed above, the audio signal is low-level and must be amplified.

The 20-pin socket has several other pins used for the HU to communicate with the external devise(s): BUS-ON, BUS-OFF, BUS+, BUS-, MUTE, and RESET. If the nav unit uses any of these to decide whether the HU is present and ready (and thus, whether the nav unit should send the audio prompts), there's probably no easy solution.

However, I see that pin 10, labeled "B/U" (or "BU" on the HU's schematic) provides +12V from the HU to the external devices. The HU takes +12V constant/battery (from pin 6 on the 14-pin power/speaker harness), passes that through a 5 Amp fuse inside the HU, and sends that out the 20-pin socket.

So it might be as simple as sending +12V on that pin to the nav unit to enable the nav audio prompts. Certainly worth testing. The nav unit obtains its main power supply from the 10-pin socket on the nav unit.

What Hol described as a "standard female speaker socket" on the back of the nav unit is a black, 3.5mm jack. It is intended for Kenwood's KNA-SP200 active speaker. The jack has 3 pins, and supplies +5V to power the speaker. See pictures and discussion starting here (on NASIOC), and pin-out here (post #502 in that thread).

In order to use that jack with something other than the KNA-SP200, you must build a cable with a 3-pin 3.5mm plug. Do not connect anything to the tip. Connect wires to the ring and sleeve terminals. Those will have the audio that you need to send into an amplified speaker (or a HU's aux input).

But do try the pins on the 20-pin socket, too.

Hol- what model and year Forester do you have?

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
Bump. Still waiting to hear if anyone can test this.

You need to make these connections on the factory 20-pin harness:
* Pin 1 -- to new HU's aux input +
* Pin 11 -- to new HU's aux input - (shield)
* Pin 10 -- to +12V (can probably be Accessory / key-switched)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sorry, have been busy with my track project - a 4wd evo powered Proton hatch.

Unfortunately, the 05 Xten is in the shop being repaired after somene pulled out in front of me last week.

As soon as i get it back, ill try those pins out.

I;ll also turn on notifications for this thread.

Andy HOL

Home

1 - 17 of 17 Posts