Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, forgive me if I am not seeing a thread that already exists, that has the same function, but I want to post up some possible rides, and have you Gents chime in w/ your thoughts.

I'm very hesitant to take out a loan on cars with mileage higher than 60k miles, for multiple reasons, most being very obvious.

Where do you guys think these deals stand ?

2004 FXT, 5spd, White, New turbo, new fuel lines. 135k miles $8,800
(The guy is one of those "I'm not budging on the price" types) Rude too. It's his wifes car though...

2004 FXT, 5spd, 62k Miles, $12,995: Silver

2004 FXT, 89k miles, $11,800 White

2004 FXT, 52k miles, $15,900 Silver

2005 FXT, 80k miles, $11,750 Silver

That's it really, I may find more later. What would you guys do ?
I'm really trying to spend less than $15,000, ideally ~ $10-$12 K. :0)
-Is there any one that stands out as a better deal ?
-How would you feel about the higher mileage ones ?
-From what I see, you guys are having good luck in the higher mileage, but it still spooks me... I'd really like to have lower mileage, but is the additional cost worth it ? ?

The site won't let me post links yet. I searched Autotrader for all manual shift Forester XT's, within ANY distance from 12189, as a 4eat is out of the question for me.
Thanks so much guys and gals !

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
IMO this one is the best deal:
2004 FXT, 5spd, 62k Miles, $12,995: Silver

62k miles seems a good area for a used car, not yet into very high mileage but still a decent price. I'd say that around 80k is when the small things start to fail such as struts, wheel bearings etc.

Where are all of them from? My 04 has around 130k on it and it lived in Rochester for a good portion of its life and the road salt has REALLY taken a toll on it. I'd probably try to test drive them and see which has no driveline noise and the least rust on the underside/engine bay.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I'm not a gent, but I'll chime in anyway.

I'd go for the lowest mileage car on your list, but seeing as the two 04's with 52k and 62k are pretty close in mileage, the pricing in the 62k mile car is far better... and it's a 5MT.

If you're at all interested in a higher mileage FXT, ask for maintenance records. It would suck to plunk down almost $9k only to find out the hard way that the previous owner(s) skimped on something crucial like a timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
Just to get a base price i looked for about 2 months until i finally got the deal i wanted and i got a 2005 FXT 4EAT with 53,000 miles on it for 12,900 with a 1 year Subaru classic warranty (this was just a few weeks ago). So you can get the price you are looking for, it just really seems to be a waiting game, i had to drive about 3 hrs away to get that deal too. Don't know if it helps at all, but if you have the time to wait and get some deals from different dealerships it can really be to ur advantage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

The fact that I'm unwilling to drive a 4eat makes it tough for me to find a local FXT, so I can actually test drive it. I have to drive 120 miles just to drive a 5spd FXT, and it's not even one I'd want (Gold color...eww). All of those listed are within maybe 400 miles of me. i have no problem flying out and driving home, but that concept becomes a problem if you arrive to the car and it's NOT as described. Obviously I cannot drive these distances just to test drive every possible FXT I'm considering. If I could get one with 50-60K miles for ~12,000, I'd be happy, I think, hahah. The 2004 w/ 62k for $12,900, just needs some dickering and that may work well for me... Think I could get them down by $1,000 or so ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The link you posted is the very first car I called on, and it was sold about one week ago....lame, I know. The whole thing with the "no automatic rule" is that rowing through gears is a huge part of driving to me. I just couldn't get such a capable car in automatic trim, just wouldn't be right...for me.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
If you are set on a manual, don't give up and get a manual. I know I wouldn't want an auto, even though they are plenty capable -- it's just a personal preference.

If you were willing to buy from out of state, I know of a really nice black '04 that may for for sale soon. It's owned by a Subaru shop owner local to here.

Stan

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the FXT's I'm looking at are out-of-state, so no worries about some distance. Pending mileage and price, I'd be interested to hear more... Thanks for the heads up !

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Cali....my only option would be to ship it.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Or, drive it across country :icon_cool:

Nice thing about CA cars -- no rust.

Stan

·
Premium Member
04 Acura TSX the slick 6 speed
2,355 Posts
I agree on the lower mileage ones. One very important thing as was mentioned is services, particularly the 60,000 mile service. A big question is, was it done or not? This is a $700 or so bill. Also tire condition and service records.

I encourage you to hold out for the car you want - I looked all around for mine and waited a few months to find the right one. Had to drive 6 hrs round trip twice (once for test drive/deposit, again for purchase) but it was a great experience. Almost 4 years and 35,000 later and the car has been solid, only repair was an $80 switch. So hold out for a good clean well maintained low mileage one, pay a bit more for it, I think you'll be in good shape especially if you intend to keep it for awhile.

Good luck! And welcome to the forum.

PS remember things are in your favor - lots of 2nd gen Foresters for sale now, as buyer in this economy you get to have the high ground.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I'm not sure what a "good deal" would be on a FXT. That's part of the problem.
I'd be less concerned about a good deal and more concerned about getting a solid car. In general the KBB values are about right. The FXT is a more rare and desireable car expecially with the 5spd so you may pay a bit more. I'd pay $1000 more for a clean low mileage car any day. There are "steals" out there, but in general I think it is truth that you get what you pay for.

And of course Private Party is best if possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I get what you're saying but, the bottom line is I have a maximum amount of $$ that I'm willing to spend, so a "good deal" to me, consists of A) In my price range, and B) A solid car.

Lots of the "lower mileage" ones (50-70k) I find are around $15,000-16,000. I'm not paying that kind of money for a 6 year old turbo car, it's just not realistic.

The people that I've spoke with so far were all basically unwilling to budge on their price, even just a bit. It's always justified by "Subarus run till 300k miles".... It's been kind of irritating thus far dealing with even Private Party sellers. I'm trying to be patient, but with a budget of ~ $12,000, it's not looking good for me, yet I read all sorts of posts from people finding low mileage FXT's for that price or less.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I hear you man, I think you're thinking straight. You may have to wait awhile, it took me many months looking before I found the price/mileage/condition I wanted. So be encouraged, it will happen! Take your time and we'll be excited to see what you find.

I get what you're saying but, the bottom line is I have a maximum amount of $$ that I'm willing to spend, so a "good deal" to me, consists of A) In my price range, and B) A solid car.

Lots of the "lower mileage" ones (50-70k) I find are around $15,000-16,000. I'm not paying that kind of money for a 6 year old turbo car, it's just not realistic.

The people that I've spoke with so far were all basically unwilling to budge on their price, even just a bit. It's always justified by "Subarus run till 300k miles".... It's been kind of irritating thus far dealing with even Private Party sellers. I'm trying to be patient, but with a budget of ~ $12,000, it's not looking good for me, yet I read all sorts of posts from people finding low mileage FXT's for that price or less.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
There's one that I'm trying to get some details on, a 2004 FXT that has 68k for $14,000 asking. Wonder how low I could get that down.

Another 2005 FXT that has 80k for $11,700.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
98 Posts
Didn't realize you were in Albany ... With my latest experience doing the same search you were with the same budget, it seemed that if i called dealerships from downstate/Jersey most of them would not budge on the price and the ones that did seem to have good deals online and were already "sold", which seemed like a ploy to just try and get people on their lot. The day my current foz popped up online i called them before they even had pictures posted and it was exactly what i was looking for. I ended up going out to western NY to get mine and it just seemed like the people were a lot nicer and more likely to cut you a deal if the dealership is more "country". Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts