Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Subies, but I'd like to think I know my way around the boxxer engine. Currently, I'm slowly looking for a new car for the girlie and came across an '06 2.5x pretty optioned out. Only 15.5k miles and its been garaged/well cared for its entire life, synthetic oil every 4 months, etc. After tax and licensing its gonna be around $14.5k.

Am I stupid to pass on this? The only real problem I've read about is the moonroof can be hit and miss on these. Are there any HID kits out there currently for these? Any "must do" mods? The car's primary purpose is to commute about 300 miles a week and take over mountain duty from my diesel truck in the winter. Thanks for any input! Gonna make a decision some time Monday!:Banane35:

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT
213 Posts
Welcome first of all, I think you came to the right place!

Price wise? No idea, sounds like a good deal, but I don't know if I would go with a "steal" or anything...

There are HID kits, yes... you can look around this forum for some crazy things people have done with their headlights. I just put in some new bulbs and they are bright enough for me.

Winter duty up there? You're safe with this, mine destroys Tahoe.

I have put on 40k miles this past year since buying the car last October, no problems whatsoever, if that helps!

Must do mods? Fix the f*cking seat belt chime IMMEDIATELY or else you might kill yourself. Other than that, hopefully a NA member can give you some must haves...

Good luck, you won't regret your purchase if you're looking for a solid, reliable, and fun car that can take any road conditions you can throw at it!

-Nick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its Red. The more I research, the more it seems like a solid buy. At least we wouldn't be up s*** creek if she decided this is not the car for her and had to sell a year from now. I was planning on having to get something new after winter, but this might be the right deal at the wrong time yet cheap enough to pick up. Once you go HID's, its hard to go back!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I'm no pricing expert, but $6,000 off a 3-year old Forester with just 15,500 miles sounds decent to me.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
What part of the NW are you in?

For this area, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Foresters tend to hold their value really well and rarely sell for under the high blue book price.

Throw some some tires on it, and you won't have any issues driving the passes in the NW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What part of the NW are you in?

For this area, it sounds like a pretty good deal. Foresters tend to hold their value really well and rarely sell for under the high blue book price.

Throw some some tires on it, and you won't have any issues driving the passes in the NW.
I'm near Kirkland, Subarus seem fairly popular in WA! I almost talked myself into an STI a few years ago...

The Forester should be in the driveway this weekend. Couldn't convince the seller to low ball the bill of sale:starwars: Based on the local CL adds I still think its the best deal in the Seattle area and the snow abilities of the forester will definitely be tested this winter! Might be easier convincing the ball and chain to go snowboarding now that her door handle isn't eye level:new_multi:

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
164 Posts
The only real problem I've read about is the moonroof
Wait? Is this X premium? Does it also have heated seat? If so (if all checked out carfax) then this would be a great deal. I got mine 06's X premium w/ 34,000 just a little over $14,000

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
2015 VW Golf R (AWD!) DSG (Automated Manual)
2,199 Posts
Must have mods? As stated, tires, and some cool mud flaps if you want (something flatter so the snow won't pack on them and they won't break - RallyArmor are popular though pricey).

BTW, good selection!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait? Is this X premium? Does it also have heated seat? If so (if all checked out carfax) then this would be a great deal. I got mine 06's X premium w/ 34,000 just a little over $14,000

Good luck and welcome!
Yea its got the premium package with heated seats. Drove it home Saturday morning and spent a few hours detailing the inside. The PO decided to leave us with dog hair all over the seats and dog barf under the passenger seat that I couldn't see until I moved the seat all the way forward for vacuuming:evilatyou: Other than that, spent some time blasting around town in it this weekend and had a great time! I can already tell I'm gonna dump the crappy tires currently on it or pick up a set of snows. Already replaced the carpet floor mats with rubber mats and I'm looking for a rubber trunk liner now. Need to get a ski/snowboard rack, possibly an HID conversion and hopefully call it good. I'm gonna try my best not to take over modding "her" car:icon_evil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts