Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You can hear the noise slightly better near the end (fans kicked in mid recording) the engine was hot as I had just been driving for 30 minutes, this is why I used the throttle to really rev the engine as the cable was to hot to hold.

Since I've taken delivery 11,000km ago the vehicle has had 3 oil changes all with motul xcess 5w40, the car consumes no oil, the timing belt and tensioners/pullys and water pump were all done, AC compressor rebuilt, cam seals checked, valve cover gaskets replaced (began sweating no real leak caught it early) and cams and cam gears/avcs sensors inspected. No boost leaks recently tested, knock sensor recently replaced to diagnose Phantom ecu knock, tech heard no real engine knock with mics hooked up to the block while driving.

Coolant temp in this video is 190f and the oil was checked and was full before recording.

I see no reason this would be rod knock but there's definately a low hollow knock from something. There's also a ticking from the valve train, I need to adjust the lifters so that's not the noise I'm referring to.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
78 Posts
I had headphones on and I didn't hear any knock. Sounds like a normal subie engine to me.
Have you driven it yet? You can really tell if you have rod knock then, cause you'll feel it right away and noticeable loss of power.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X 5MT & 2008 Impreza WRX 5MT & 2009 Impreza 2.5i 5MT
88 Posts
Sounds pretty much like my 2003 Forester 2.5X

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had headphones on and I didn't hear any knock. Sounds like a normal subie engine to me.
Have you driven it yet? You can really tell if you have rod knock then, cause you'll feel it right away and noticeable loss of power.
You can really only clearly hear the sound I'm talking about around 50 seconds because the fans kicked in. I've been driving it as a daily no noticable loss of power and the sound can't be heard unless it's idling.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
78 Posts
@defury, at the 50 second mark still sounds normal to me.
One other way, but it takes its sweet time is having your oil analyzed for metal shavings. If its knocking, its rubbing metal off somewhere. Here in the states we have one called BlackStone Labs. They take a few weeks but you get a detailed report on whats in your oil.

Besides that, I don't know. Ether find a specialized Subrau mechanic with a good rep and have them look it over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts