Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but not to Subaru. If I end up buying the Forester this would be my 4th Subaru! Anyways, to my question. After weeks of searching I was able to find the exact Forester that I want, an 06 FXT Limited 5 spd in Aspen White. I was able to find 2 of them in my area. One of the dealers quoted me $25,275 for the car. This sounds like a great price to me. Is this price as good as I think, or can I do better? I know the car stickers for over 28K. Any input you guys have would be great.
Thanks
Drew

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
check fitzmall.com for an idea of what "good" pricing is. Your dealer should be able to match their prices or do better.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fitzmall.com does not have the car I desire in stock. They had an auto FXT listed, but this price beats the one on the fitzmall website. I am just wondering if I should really try to beat them up to go lower, or if this is about as good as I can get. I am going to try to get it lower regardless, but an insight into what I should be looking to pay would be great.
Thanks
Drew

·
Registered
58 Posts
Van Bortel in Rochester NY usually has good deals. They want about $26.9 for an 06 FXT with manual.

I'd say you have a pretty good deal.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
SQC049 said:
fitzmall.com does not have the car I desire in stock. They had an auto FXT listed, but this price beats the one on the fitzmall website. I am just wondering if I should really try to beat them up to go lower, or if this is about as good as I can get. I am going to try to get it lower regardless, but an insight into what I should be looking to pay would be great.
Thanks
Drew
Let me clarify my logic here:

I realize they don't have exactly the same car. That's not the point. What should have become immediately apparent, however, was that the sticker price means squat. Every single one of the fitzmall foresters is below factory invoice. That's INVOICE, not sticker. If you do the math, you'll see that the XT LTD Auto they have is about 5% less. Sticker on the fitzmall car is 29,2. They have it listed at 26,3. Invoice is 27,6

However, at present, at least here on the east coast, there's a $1000 rebate on any new forester XT until the end of the month. If you account for that rebate in the fitzmall pricing, then that 5% is really is Invoice price, minus all applicable rebates, minus another $300 or so.

Consequently, I think the absolute max that you should pay for the XT you're looking at is the same thing - invoice, minus $1000, minus another $200-300. Fitzmall is great for finding a baseline price that way. If you're paying appreciably more, then you're paying too much. My gut reaction is that the price you have listed is pretty close, if not already there. If the car has any OEM accessories installed (or if you can get them thrown in when you do the buy) all the better.

Also - make sure you're not getting hit with excessive doc fees, vin etching, fancy aftermarket rustproofing, paint protection, etc etc.

One last thing - since you found two of them in the area. Play the dealers off of each other. Go to the more expensive guy and tell him about the cheaper one. Make them work for you, not the other way around. Remind them that whomever you buy from will be getting your service business. You're looking to establish a relationship with a dealer here, not just buy a car.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thanks for the help guys. We'll see what happens this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts