Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 WRX Wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Could definitely use your help! I just got a quote from a dealer in NJ for a 2010 Spark Silver Forester XT Limited with the following options.

* Aero Cross Bars
* All Weather Floor Mats
* Auto-Dim Mirror Compass
* Black Cargo Tray
* Rear Bumper Cover

My initial offer was $26,500 (pretax).

The dealer then counter-offered me $27,754.00 (pretax) + $299.00 (NJ plates).

Is this a good deal?

·
Registered
2017 Limited
1,018 Posts
Hi guys,

Could definitely use your help! I just got a quote from a dealer in NJ for a 2010 Spark Silver Forester XT Limited with the following options.

* Aero Cross Bars
* All Weather Floor Mats
* Auto-Dim Mirror Compass
* Black Cargo Tray
* Rear Bumper Cover

My initial offer was $26,500 (pretax).

The dealer then counter-offered me $27,754.00 (pretax) + $299.00 (NJ plates).

Is this a good deal?
Beat them down to 27000 even and go for it, you go up 500, they come down 754. See what happens.

What makes it difficult is the doo-dads they've thrown in. I imagine there is a huge markup on them, read huge profit.

·
Registered
06 Mazdaspeed6
19 Posts
I never look at the price of the car seperate from the tax. I always work with an out-the-door price, because unless you're paying cash, that's what you're taking a loan out for. You're not taking out a separate loan for the tax are you... like a split mortgage? It's all the same money. Does NJ do it differently? What is the tax-rate on a new vehicle purchased in-state?

Walk in there with a pre-approved loan draft for $28k, lay it down on the table and say, "that's the best I can do out-the-door, taxes, title, fees, registration, all the bullcrap... that's all I got." Let them worry about what charges go on what line of the contract, how much the "dealer fee" is and what exactly the "options" cost... all you care about is the bottom line.

·
Registered
2005 WRX Wagon
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a cash sale. I talked to two dealers who had the car in stock. I told them, I would take it for $27,300. I've been speaking directly to the new sales manager and general manager of both dealerships.

One dealer kindly declined and stood firm at $27,754. The other went off on me telling me "how hard it is to make money with my ridiculous price." Needless to say I won't be talking to him. On top of that he had less options and wanted $28,369. (Loman Subaru Parsippany = bad experience)

I was hoping a cash sale would place this whole ordeal more in my favor. Guess these guys have plenty of business that they don't have to deal with a joe shmo like myself....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is truecar.com full of crap? On cars.com it says the invoice for a 2010 2.5 X Premium is $21,501 and the MSRP is $22,795, but Truecar says a great price in my area is $22,613. So $100 less than MSRP? That's it?! I'm planning to buy one tonight and just finishing up research and I'm wondering if truecar.com is just run by a bunch of auto dealers who want us to pay more so they are started a site where they say a terrible price is really a good deal.

·
Registered
06 Mazdaspeed6
19 Posts
Take them a bank draft for a fixed amount and lay it on the table. Point to the car out on the lot that you want and say "THIS is the amount I will pay for THAT car out-the-door, and if we can't make it happen in the next 20minutes, the Ford dealership down the street is having great deals on leftover Escapes."

In the end, it's worth what you are willing to pay for it today. You might do some homework to see what traditionally happens to new car prices around X-mas time and see if you can't wait a few months, or if the best deals are really to be had now. If a model isn't selling good, and there are still leftovers on the the lots, manufacturers usually start handing out discounts/rebates like crazy around late-Nov early-Dec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts