Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this 2003 Forester XS Premium package with 103,000 miles on it from a used car dealer.

We took it to the dealer for free inspection to see if there is anything that needs to be immediately fixed, apart from small leak from HG the Forester looks fine. There suggestion was to flush the coolant ($110) and add the subaru additive and check the leak again in a week to see if it's helping. If it helps then no need of HG replacement.

Also 105k service is due soon and so took it to local non-dealer Subaru shop and was quoted $1k for the below work, do you guys think it's reasonable?. (don't have service records, so want to do all oil changes just to avoid any problems)

Oil Change Service - Rotella oil w/ Wix oil filt
Air Filter -WIX/OEM Drop-in Filter
Spark Plugs - NGK (one step colder)
Transmission / Differential Fluid Change -
Brake and Clutch Fluid Flush -
Rotate Tires and check wear
Inspection of:
- Coolant and Hoses
- Fuel System
Replace Timing Belt and related parts
Transmission / Differential Fluid Change
Inspection of:
- Drive Belts
- Brake Pads and Rotors
- Steering and Suspension Components
- CV Joints, Axles, Half Shafts, Bearings

I already searched the forums to get an idea about the cost, but wanted to check if above specific quote is reasonable.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester
1,155 Posts
you can check local subaru dealers to get $$$.

Plano or Dallas or Arlington or Hurst

Ft. Worth (not open yet)

or

Oil Change Service - Rotella oil w/ Wix oil filt DIY
Air Filter -WIX/OEM Drop-in Filter DIY
Spark Plugs - NGK (one step colder)
Transmission Fluid Change DIY
Brake and Clutch Fluid Flush -
Rotate Tires and check wear DIY
Inspection of:
- Coolant and Hoses
- Fuel System
Replace Timing Belt and related parts
Differential Fluid Change DIY
Inspection of:
- Drive Belts
- Brake Pads and Rotors
- Steering and Suspension Components
- CV Joints, Axles, Half Shafts, Bearings

Welcome to the forum...from fellow texan in DFW

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply, Lovesubaru.

Although I want to do some of the things you commented about, I have no tools, so I would have to start from scratch and considering my office work schedule, I wouldn't mind letting somebody else do it as long as it's reasonably priced. Also doesn't oil flush need more tools/knowledge than just oil change?.

I called Subaru of Plano, Hurst and Dallas earlier today.

Plano - around $1600 for timing belt and $600 for all fluids (except power steering). (I was previously offered $2300 for HG + Timing belt)

Hurst - gave up trying to reach after 5 or 6 attempts, was able to reach them one and "Mike" put me on hold for 15 mins and never came back.

Dallas - $1200 for Timing belt, didn't bother asking him fluid changes.

City Garage - $15xx for Timing belt + ALL fluids (including Power steering).

Can't believe all these people trying to charge so much for oil changes, considering how much the oil itself costs.

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
The ones in my area are charging $1500 for the 105K Service.

I would just do the major stuff first to bump price down. Alot of them can be done yourself or done outside of dealership for alot less. Also if they are going to do plugs ask what brand they are using. I had a dealer tell me they were going to put Bosch Platinum Plugs instead of NGK or Denso. I quickly left the dealership.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
292 Posts
I would never use Bosch on any Japanese vehicle. I know many people who's cars ( 240's ) run worse after installing Bosch including my AE86. Some have even cracked their heads. Especially the Platinum 4.

I personally tried the the Bosch Platinum Single and had rough idle and worse gas mileage. Replace them with NGK Platinums and ran great. I also checked the gap and it was fine, but since they are pre-gapped I shouldn't have to adjust it anyways. The heat range was stock.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
It depends on exactly what they're going to replace with the timing belt. The tensioner, pulleys, waterpump, tstat etc should be replace.

Also, I would question them about 1 step colder plugs, theres no reason for them, especially on a nonturbo.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I second that Funkeymonk. There's no reason to go to colder plugs even in Texas. Just stick with the stock NGKs and it will be good.

Guy

·
Registered
2003 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for feedback guys, I think I will be doing some of the stuff myself and let somebody else fix stuff that I can't figure out.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,199 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts