Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It's a bad idea because it won't fit.

The brake booster gets in the way of the turbo assembly. To get it to work, your only real option is to swap to RHD.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm not doing that. How about moving it with a custom manifold? Would it just be a matter of making a mirror image of the right side?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Why do a custom manifold? That'd be a bigger waste of time and money. If you are going to make a custom manifold, then do a much easier EJ20 WRX swap, and bolt that same custom manifold to it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why do a custom manifold? That'd be a bigger waste of time and money. If you are going to make a custom manifold, then do a much easier EJ20 WRX swap, and bolt that same custom manifold to it.
For really no other reason than to have a twin turbo. Believe it or not, I'm not even looking for a bunch of power. My motor's coming out anyway. (Blown hg's, oil leaks from EVERYWHERE ect.) I find that shoehorning motors isn't too bad. I have enough skill/help/local fab shops to get that part done, if it's even possible. I do not claim to have the knowhow to get it running though. Wiring and ecms are not my strongest skill. OTOH, if it just won't fit, then it just won't fit. That's where the experience of you guys comes in. Sound like another terrible idea of mine. I'm gonna do something weird. (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
If you are interested in having a twin turbo setup, then just build a custom manifold (which you'd have to do anyway) and install it on a USDM WRX engine. Easiest way to do things.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are interested in having a twin turbo setup, then just build a custom manifold (which you'd have to do anyway) and install it on a USDM WRX engine. Easiest way to do things.
I hate it when you're right.:icon_mad: Back to shopping for a h6. I haven't given up on that pipe dream yet.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what i'm thinking. I've figured it will cost ~$800-$1000 to freshen my motor up; gaskets, timing stuff, oil leaks, ect. It runs like a top as it is, but it's just time. I figure I can do something like this for about the same money. Well, not the same, but not toooo much more. I'm still worried about wiring. I think there is enough help out there on the interwebs to get that done though.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
H6 swaps are a wiring and fabrication nightmare. I've seen many locals give it a go only to give up many hours and $$$ down the road. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it isn't as easy as a WRX/STi motor swap.

If your willing I'd LOVE to see it happen!

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I don't know if it'll be that bad. The motor almost drops right in, you need to move the A/C condenser in front of the vertical radiator support, then drop the radiator under the core support. There is ample room for both.

Wiring, if you get an OBD2 SVX donor (which is the hardest part) is relatively painless, or so it seemed. Sit down with a pinout diagram and sensor range chart for both motors.

De-pin the stock harness for motor control functions and sensor feedback (you'll be using parts from the SVX for all of that). Label everything. Do the same for the SVX harness, then re-plug.

From looking at things, so long as you have an OBD2 donor car, the swap is merely time consuming. I'd devote an entire weekend to wiring.

The tricks are things like getting the tachometer to read properly, and having the speedometer input to the ECU correctly, which I think the ECU swap might even take care of.

I think, again given an OBD2 donor, it can be just as easy as a WRX motor swap.

PLUS, you could take a little extra time, swap your 2.5L into the SVX, then re-sell it.

The main reason I never ended up doing the EG33 swap in my SF was lack of funds, and lack of finding a proper OBD2 donor car. Trying to piece everything together would have been impossible.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think, again given an OBD2 donor, it can be just as easy as a WRX motor swap.
Do you know what years svx have odb2? I have not a clue. You are basicly saying use the svx ecm and engine harness. Pin the rest of the foz harness into the svx ecu correct?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Are you looking for a pretty major project? This isn't going to just drop in and work. The ONLY successful H6 swaps I've seen all have used standalone ECU's. Would you be staying AT or going MT? I would look for a newer H6 out of a pre 04 outback.

I'd love to see this happen, but I've seen so many people go into it and give up before even getting the engine in.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deffinately stay auto. Thw wife needs to be able to drive this too. Stand alone ECU will make this a no go. I can't afford that part. Why can't I just transfer in most of the electrical from the donor car?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
^^ you can but it requires you to merge the donor harness with that of you cars original harness to maintain functionality of small things like say a gauge cluster....There are also other emissions related items that stay with the car body that now need to be merged with the donor ecu so it can function properly.

Seriously, the wiring if you are comfortable with wiring and know your way around a schematic can take a couple of days. If you are not 100% comfortable with it or your abilities, mistakes are going to happen. Then you get to spend 2 days in a remote gas station parking lot tearing your dash, interior, engine harness out because your car wont run, and you are searching for the one pin in a plug you think you may not have seated all the way into the plug when you merged the harnesses together. This is when it goes good, when it goes bad and you can't even get it started the first time and you need to bring in help to straighten out the mess, start adding $$$.

Simply put it is not as simple as taking the donor ECU and wiring to replace the original stuff with. The two need to be blended together.

These guys are some of the best at the wiring merge, before you attempt this call them, for a price they can do it.
http://www.eastcoastswappers.com/rates.php

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
^^ you can but it requires you to merge the donor harness with that of you cars original harness to maintain functionality of small things like say a gauge cluster....There are also other emissions related items that stay with the car body that now need to be merged with the donor ecu so it can function properly.

Seriously, the wiring if you are comfortable with wiring and know your way around a schematic can take a couple of days. If you are not 100% comfortable with it or your abilities, mistakes are going to happen. Then you get to spend 2 days in a remote gas station parking lot tearing your dash, interior, engine harness out because your car wont run, and you are searching for the one pin in a plug you think you may not have seated all the way into the plug when you merged the harnesses together. This is when it goes good, when it goes bad and you can't even get it started the first time and you need to bring in help to straighten out the mess, start adding $$$.

Simply put it is not as simple as taking the donor ECU and wiring to replace the original stuff with. The two need to be blended together.

These guys are some of the best at the wiring merge, before you attempt this call them, for a price they can do it.
ECS Performance - Services
+1 in theory its just "connect the wiring", but there are so many little things that make it 29384723987234 harder than it appears. ECS are one of the best for merging harnesses, and theres good reason for the $ they charge.

The emissions, and little things that make the outcome have that oem feel are what makes swaps so hard, getting it to pass inspection is another "fun" part of swapping. I don't want to discourage a pretty sweet project, but make sure you do your homework on this. If done right it could be a great daily driver, an H6 forester would be AWESOME.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Deffinately stay auto. Thw wife needs to be able to drive this too. Stand alone ECU will make this a no go. I can't afford that part. Why can't I just transfer in most of the electrical from the donor car?
Talk about an electrical nightmare... the typical SVX already eats alternators for lunch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts