Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a US spec Forester XT MY05 and will be bringing it back to Canada and would like to have my odometer register in kilometers instead of miles.

Is there any way this can be done?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Swap the instrument cluster for a Canadian one.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT SportShift
1,231 Posts
Or just drive it as is. I drive one that I imported. I got used to reading the smaller numbers (kms) and it's pretty useful for our trips south of the border.

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or just drive it as is. I drive one that I imported. I got used to reading the smaller numbers (kms) and it's pretty useful for our trips south of the border.
I don't have a problem with reading smaller numbers but I would like the odometer to register in kilometers instead of miles. For business/tax write off purposes I record my mileage and it would be handy to have the odometer read/display kilometers.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
not very helpfull...

I think most of these replies are not very helpfull to you... perhaps you need to be more specific?

I think what you are looking for is to find a way for the DIGITAL READOUT to register in KM instread of Miles...?

Most cars it seems you can punch some secret code or do some sort of funky dance while slamming the doors and singing kumbaya.. and presto, the guauges become Canadian (or metric).

I'm looking for the same info. In particular, I'm trying to figure how to get the Outside Temp gauge to show in Celcius instead of Farenheight.....

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone out there has the answers.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
No secret codes according to my mechanic who is also a Subaru tech. He has looked into this during the last wave of US imports when the CDN dollar was at par.
You will have to replace the instrument pod with a metric one as well as a speed sensor on the drivetrain. This will also zero your odometer, that must be reported to the ministry of transport(at least in Ontario), stating reasons why (try explaining that when selling the car). The cost of that about 3-4 years ago was just under 2 grand for parts and labor. The temp control is also part of the LCD module that also houses the odometer which I'm not sure can be replaced separatly, but the same thing applies, zeros the odometer.

I've driven my tech's car which is a US model and you get used to reading the smaller speedo range pretty easy, and as for recording mileage just do the conversion.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
Cool. Thanks for that...

I think I'll just go for installing one of those mirrors with the Temp gauge and Compass, and make sure I get one that will show Celcius...

·
Registered
2002 Forester S (US)
67 Posts
No secret codes according to my mechanic who is also a Subaru tech. He has looked into this during the last wave of US imports when the CDN dollar was at par.
You will have to replace the instrument pod with a metric one as well as a speed sensor on the drivetrain. This will also zero your odometer, that must be reported to the ministry of transport(at least in Ontario), stating reasons why (try explaining that when selling the car). The cost of that about 3-4 years ago was just under 2 grand for parts and labor. The temp control is also part of the LCD module that also houses the odometer which I'm not sure can be replaced separatly, but the same thing applies, zeros the odometer.

I've driven my tech's car which is a US model and you get used to reading the smaller speedo range pretty easy, and as for recording mileage just do the conversion.
I'm in exactly this situation - US production car on the north side of the border and no interest in doing running conversions. It's just not practical - with all the other cars we have being fully metric, it's too much effort to try to remember which one needs the calculation. He11, half the time I'll switch from one of the standards to an automatic and immediately put my foot to the floor where it expects the clutch to be.

As far as $2K to replace the cluster... excuse me while I stop laughing, get up off the floor, and wipe the tears from my eyes. My local self-serve yards charge less than $40. I haven't yet pulled one out of a Forester, but I did with one of my Legacys (a Brighton with manual xmission and no tach - go figure) and it wasn't a big deal. I'm surprised that that the speed sensor has to be swapped as well (the scaling is as easily done in the electronics), but I'm glad you mentioned it.

And that the replacement odo will read zero presumes that you're getting a new one rather than used - in the latter case you get what the donor car had, and responsibly recording the various odos' numbers is an exercise left to the reader.

As for the legalities... DILLIGAS? The more you work on your car, the less meaningful the odometer reading is. I've replaced both the motor and transmission in my '95 Legacy. Someone can tell the body condition (rustbucket!) by looking at it. So what good is the odo beyond telling you how many miles are on the front bearings, rear diff, and wiper motor? Not much. I have no intention of selling any of these cars, but if I were to I'd readily disclose the "true body mileage" without being asked, in the case of a cluster replacement. I don't know what the government's rules are and really don't care. And the "reason"? How about "old one busted"?

·
Registered
982 Posts
There is a guy on facebook who flashes cluster ROM's to change the way they work. He recently flashed JDM FSTi cluster to read in MPH (odometer and speedo), he can flash any cluster to match your existing mileage so that you can swap in any cluster you want and have your odometer match the mileage in the odometer you are replacing.

https://www.facebook.com/GROMClusters/

·
Registered
2002 Forester S (US)
67 Posts
Oh, that's interesting. Does anyone know whether it's a JTAG thing, or something more invasive? Regardless of what he charges to do it, now you're making me wonder what's in the cluster - I want to pull one apart and see if I can identify any of the chips. In theory, this is an easy hack: Take the MCU/memory from each a metric and imperial cluster from the same year, suck out the contents (assuming they haven't been read-protected), and diff them. That should reveal the mileage and unit switch. With any luck these variables aren't in flash, rather E^2. Or something like that.

p.s. It sux that he's only on facebook. I'm not and refuse to be assimilated.

[Edit] Just found this:

Yes, it's for Toyotas, and his setup is hacked-up PC stuff (and from the RS-232 port era to boot!) and I've got an assortment of actual device programmers handy. The inverted data is a tricky touch. But it's got me wondering whether Subaru stores its mileage data (and probably metric/imperial flag) in an E^2 similar to the 93C46 buddy shows in this video.

[Another EDIT] Buddy sort of knows what he's doing, but not entirely. At about 3:50 he says that the letters in the right side of his little hex/ASCII editor indicate whether a value has been changed. That's wrong - what the right side actually shows is the ASCII value of any of the bytes to the left that are displayable ASCII characters. The bytes that don't map to ASCII characters are shown as periods instead. This is common practice.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I am similarly disinclined to be a part of facebook for so many reasons ... but I really wanted a cluster with a tach in the middle that reads in MPH and it seemed like he was the best way to get that done ... so I opened a facebook account just to do business with him, and then immediately closed it once I got the cluster and confirmed that it all worked. I found his prices to be pretty reasonable given that he supplies the cluster. There was a thread on nasioc awhile back on DIYing this ... I'm sure it's NBD to somebody who is accustomed to this sort of thing but I am not and it looked somewhat time-consuming and daunting ... given that his prices are just a bit more than buying an unmolested cluster —*I just paid him to do it.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S (US)
67 Posts
Understood; from what I could see on his fb page before the "how about signing up?" box obscured it, it said $115, so that's pretty reasonable. Still, dude, you're Bay Area - not the hardest place on earth to find a hardware hacker. I could probably give you some names from my time down there.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S (US)
67 Posts
Now that I've done some research, it looks like I have to retract my above comments.

The clusters I've been poking at (from '01-'02 Foresters) are made by Nippon Seiki, and are based on their 8820 microcontroller. Everything appears to be contained in that part, including the EEPROM that holds the variables in question (people tend to use the word "flash" a lot without understanding the difference between flash memory and E^2). There is no external NV memory to mess with as in the Toyota case cited above. Nor does it look like there are any data sheets on this uC on the loose (if anyone knows otherwise I'd sure appreciate hearing from you!).

It appears then that your guy (GROM) has some magic that I don't - and I have quite a bit of magic. So I'll just keep my eyes out for a metric cluster, do the swap, and maybe concern myself later with the odo reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts